PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Cycling Classic, 5/20 Port Angeles WA

Starfish
05-08-2006, 06:00 PM
Is anyone coming to the Olympic Cycling Classic in Port Angeles WA on May 20? http://www.olybikeride.com

I live here and have not done the ride before, though have done many portions of the route, and it is really pretty. It is 111 miles (with a metric option), and the full ride has something like 6500'.

I'm thinking of doing it (or attempting might be a better word). Is anyone else?

Starfish
05-08-2006, 06:01 PM
the full ride has something like 6500'.

Oops, more like 7500' I think.

Quillfred
05-08-2006, 07:19 PM
Wow, what an awesome ride that would be. The scenery is stunning. My grandad lived many years in Port Angeles and Sequim.

It is a ride I would love to do next year. Even a metric would be too much as I'm not conditioned enough and haven't cranked out more than 35-40 max. I hope you can remind us next year. :o

Now you have me dreaming about Hurricane Ridge, 3 Crabs, Pt Townsend, La Push. Oh My!

Starfish
05-08-2006, 08:06 PM
Quillfred, it is a gorgeous route. I sort of wish they held it in August or September when the weather is more likely to be good, and I'm not sure I'm ready (in fact, pretty sure I'm not), but I'm going to try it (I think) anyhow. Being local, I will always know where I am and can bail out & call someone to come get me! :-) How's that for a can-do attitude! Did the Ridge road today up to the tunnels. It is still COLD up there, but I was testing out some new granny gears on the back, and I LOVE them. It was a nice aerobic ride, for a change, rather than lactate threshold work! I'll try to remind for next year...the date seems to be about the same, I think.

jobob
05-08-2006, 09:14 PM
(pops head up) Did someone say 3 Crabs? I love that place !!!

Gawd, I need to get back to the Olympic Peninsula sometime ... soon. And Victoria.

Starfish
05-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Yep, the Three Crabs...been going there since I was a kid. If you get up this way, feel free to let me know...there are some fun rides.

Popoki_Nui
05-09-2006, 05:03 PM
Ack! No way I'd be able to get over there by May 20. Maybe next year....hopefully next year! Depending on the passport thingy....:mad: Our own cycling festival begins soon: http://www.victoriacyclingfestival.com

~S.

Starfish
05-09-2006, 05:17 PM
PN, or get a passport? ;-) Thanks for the URL for your festival. Looks like a neat thing.

Popoki_Nui
05-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Starfish: yeah...I should get a passport, but the politics of it irks me. I mean..it's something like $80, photos (ick), a ton of paperwork, and about a 90 day wait to get a passport, all so I can go 20 miles to a place I can see from my house. Yeesh.... A sign of the times, I suppose....:(

~S.

Starfish
05-09-2006, 05:49 PM
Starfish: yeah...I should get a passport, but the politics of it irks me. I mean..it's something like $80, photos (ick), a ton of paperwork, and about a 90 day wait to get a passport, all so I can go 20 miles to a place I can see from my house. Yeesh.... A sign of the times, I suppose....:( ~S.

Yeah. When I was a kid, we used to bomb across (oh, maybe bad choice of words) the strait back and forth on the boat all the time. I can remember the immigration guys coming down and having a beer on board with my dad.

Popoki_Nui
05-09-2006, 06:01 PM
Yeah. When I was a kid, we used to bomb across (oh, maybe bad choice of words) the strait back and forth on the boat all the time. I can remember the immigration guys coming down and having a beer on board with my dad.

Ya...gotta watch using the word *bomb* these days. We never took our boat to PA, but did go across to the San Juans many times. Those were the days.
How far is it from PA to Sequim? Thx. :)

~S.

Starfish
05-09-2006, 07:57 PM
[QUOTE= How far is it from PA to Sequim? Thx. :)~S.[/QUOTE]

About 15 miles.

Quillfred
05-19-2006, 09:33 PM
Starfish

Best of luck to you on your century tomorrow. Hope the weather cooperates as well. :)

Quill

Starfish
05-20-2006, 05:13 PM
Q, thanks, but didn't do it. I was definitely on the fence, and last week I sort of messed up my riding week and didn't get in the 70 mile test ride I sort of wanted to do as a barometer before deciding on today's event.

All day I've been a little bit sorry, but truly, relieved. And, every time I look outside and see the wind, clouds and cold air, I'm feeling glad I'm not out there! I am thinking I might like to do the route myself in a couple months when the weather is warmer.

I know, I'm a weeny. I'm a little down and whiny about the cold. Just tired of being chilly, and it is that time of year when I wish we could count on sun. :( Thanks for listening...

Popoki_Nui
05-20-2006, 07:10 PM
I know, I'm a weeny. I'm a little down and whiny about the cold. Just tired of being chilly, and it is that time of year when I wish we could count on sun. :( Thanks for listening...

You're not a weenie! It wasn't meant to be for you today, that's all.
I empathize totally about the weather; I never did get out for a real ride today either. We did get some sun this afternoon here on the island and I did do a short sort of test ride, but I'm getting pretty tired of this *(%^#%^ inconsistent on-and-off weather too. Whine away...I'll whine with ya!

~Sherry.

Starfish
05-21-2006, 06:49 PM
PN, thanks.

I'm trying to learn a little more about listening to my body and my feelings. I know that in cycling there is so much of a culture of suffering, pushing, training, mind-over-the-burn, etc. And, of course I know that to keep improving, we have to have additional training loads so our bodies can adapt and get stronger.

However, I've been looking back at my training diary, and I see that when I try to train according to all the popular wisdom of days/week, etc, I often will burn myself out and my diary tells me that's when I quit riding for a week or two. So, contrary to most of what I read out there (and what people around me are doing), I am trying some new ideas.

Right now I'm only riding about 3x/week, and I'm not even doing any other exercise (thinking about adding swimming, tho). And, I've been feeling better on the bike and having more fun, and find I am still able to add mileage & elevation to each week. I'm newly divorced, and I have been ASTOUNDED at the physical toll--the need for rest. I think that, for me, for this season, I just need more recovery days off the bike.

So, I was feeling sad about not doing the Classic, and I know I could have gone out there and done it one way or another (at least I *think* LOL). But, well, I didn't FEEL like it! I guess something about our bike culture (or general culture?) just makes me feel a little weeny-ish, and perhaps afraid that if I don't push, push, push, I'll never improve.

This got long - thanks for listening.

jobob
05-21-2006, 07:11 PM
I know that in cycling there is so much of a culture of suffering, pushing, training, mind-over-the-burn, etc.

Yeahbutt ... it still has to be fun, otherwise what's the point?

I think you're doing the right thing in listening to your body and doing what you want to do and what you're ready to do. Otherwise you run the risk of burning out, and what good would that do you?

Starfish
05-21-2006, 07:55 PM
Jobob, thanks. Turned 40 this year, so am trying to see if there isn't a little more wisdom in my brain somewhere to compensate! LOL

Popoki_Nui
05-21-2006, 08:04 PM
Yeahbutt ... it still has to be fun, otherwise what's the point?
I think you're doing the right thing in listening to your body and doing what you want to do and what you're ready to do. Otherwise you run the risk of burning out, and what good would that do you?

Very wise. :) I only listen to my body now; to do otherwise got me into all kinds of physical problems.
Starfish: I empathize with you re your divorce. Been there, done that, and have the scars to prove it. It is draining, physically and emotionally. Do take care of yourself, and take time to heal. There will be plenty of days ahead to train on your bike.

Starfish
05-21-2006, 08:21 PM
Starfish: I empathize with you re your divorce. Been there, done that, and have the scars to prove it. It is draining, physically and emotionally. Do take care of yourself, and take time to heal. There will be plenty of days ahead to train on your bike.

Thanks. It helps so much just to hear that. The trouble is that out on my bike, on a good ride, is when I really can smile, work hard, and process some of this anger! :eek: But, when I really work hard and get it all OUT, then I'm really tired, sad, and crash for a couple days. Thanks again...like I said, it just helps to hear that it is normal to feel drained right now.

I'm so grateful for the bike! :)