PDA

View Full Version : newbie checklist...

Brandy
05-08-2006, 05:50 PM
So I have the bike, the helmet and the padded cycling shorts, can you ladies help me out with a list of other essentials?

kiwi girl
05-08-2006, 06:45 PM
lights if you are going to be riding at dawn, dusk or in the dark

KnottedYet
05-08-2006, 07:00 PM
Gloves. They will save your hands from vibration and blisters, and save your skin if you should fall.

Glasses. Polycarbonate sunglasses or biking glasses to protect your eyes from all the crud that's out there just waiting to jump into your eyes. Also keeps you from squinting into the wind. (Squinty watery eyes make it harder to see where you are going and what's in front of you.)

Quillfred
05-08-2006, 07:05 PM
Water bottle and holder for the bike.

Pump, inner tube.....check out some items here on TE by clicking on the blue "click to shop". Susan has many great items. Have fun.

bikerz
05-08-2006, 07:36 PM
Road ID (http://www.roadid.com/) (and/or other ID and emergency contact numbers)

$20 and a couple of quarters for emergencies

Brandi
05-08-2006, 07:48 PM
A insurance card(if you have one) with important #'s on it.

fatbottomedgurl
05-08-2006, 08:30 PM
A bag to keep it all in so you don't cram everything into your jersey pockets. There are many shapes and sizes.

Lise
05-09-2006, 06:10 AM
Chapstick, kleenex, some bandaids.

I never know when I'll bang up my shins, my nose runs all the time, and I haaaate dry lips!

maillotpois
05-09-2006, 06:57 AM
Saddle bag with:

2 tubes
Co2 or pump
multi-tool
tire levers
A copy of your drivers license and insurance ID in plastic wrap or laminated
Tire boots
Small tube/vial of sunscreen

And learn how to use the tubes, etc.!!

RoadRaven
05-13-2006, 12:53 PM
I only ride on the road away from home... (mountain bike happens in paddocks around house with my kids)

So when on the road...

I have my bike, my cycling computer/speedo, HR monitor and seat bag which has a spare tube and tyre lever amd gas cylinder in it.

My shorts, shoes, socks and jersey... jersey pockets have gas pump (too long to fit in my seat bag), a muesli bar and a cellphone.

My head has helmet, headband and sun/bug glasses.

Gloves of course are essential.

In winter you might need plastic bags inside your shoes to cover your toes (or buy neoprene booties - I use the plastic), arm warmers, leg or knee warmers, wind-proof vest and/or rain jacket, winter gloves.
Bib shorts are quite nice on cooler days as they keep the lower back covered and warm.

Starfish
05-13-2006, 05:05 PM
In addition to all the good stuff already mentioned here, I also carry a small first aid kit and a tiny plastic container with a few each of the following: ibuprofen, immodium tabs, tums, Nuun electrolyte tabs. Oh, and a small tube of neosporin. I like it for lubing my thumbs inside my gloves, and it is good for scrapes and saddle sores, too.

And, after getting covered with bugs last week when I was changing a rear flat, I intend to order a few individually packaged bug repellant towelettes. I also have a couple disposable latex rubber gloves in my repair kit...great for keeping hands clean changing flats if you have to look presentable right after a ride (work commutes, etc).

Also, I don't love my Camelback, so after having a blowout tire 40 miles from home one day in somewhat rural country on a hot day, I had a 3rd bottle mount put under my down tube. On long solo rides if there aren't going to be stores around, I'll put 3 bottles on the bike, and take a commercial (disposable) bottle in my jersey pocket, drinking it first. I like having lots of liquids.

latelatebloomer
05-14-2006, 06:52 AM
I keep a cheap bandana in my bag - I figure it can function as emergency bandage, tourniquet, washcloth, toilet paper, neck warmer... (not all at once, and not in that order!)

Aggie_Ama
05-14-2006, 01:41 PM
In addition to the padded shorts a jersey, sports bra and gloves will make for a comfortable ride.

Some of my list is a repeat. Much of this stuff is tucked in my bike bag:

Spare Tube, two for long rides.
Aleve, Advil or other anti-inflammatory
Feminine product.
Two Water Bottles Mounted to the bike
Mini-Pump
Lip Balm
Sunscreen
Sunglasses (I like Tifosi). Cleaning cloth for sunglasses to wipe off sweat and bugs.
Energy bar (2 for longer rides)
Emergency Contacts, Allergy info, Driver's License, Cash (usually just $5), Check Card
Tire Levers or Tool Kit
Cateye Astrale8 Cycling Computer. This is not essential, but I love knowing how fast and far I have gone.
Headsweats cover.
Cell Phone
For my long rides and adventures, a disposable camera.
Most importantly- A good attitude!

I used a Camelbak when I started riding. I did not have the balance to reach down for a water bottle, you might want to consider purchasing a Camelbak.

margo49
05-14-2006, 07:09 PM
A book. Pref one of those tiny inspirational ones (eg women's quotations collections) or a pretentious "slim volume" - in case you get stuck somewhere.

A binocular(s) :confused: (terrified of the spelling police now!). You can get very small ones. That way you can look at birds and animals or (in the worst-case-scenario) see your rescuers coming. :p )

RoadRaven
05-15-2006, 10:18 AM
Some of you gals carry a huge ammount of stuff - :eek: - is this is on touring bikes with pannier bags? Or do you take a back pack?

I take only what will fit in my jersey pockets, my bottle cage and under my seat - but then, i don't do endurance rides either...

Aggie_Ama
05-15-2006, 10:50 AM
I have a mountain bike wedge seat bag (bigger than the road ones, but still small). The rest is in my jersey pockets.

Bike Goddess
05-15-2006, 12:59 PM
I carry a small fanny pack.(REI) Two pockets- outside one and larger one. has all kinds of little places to store stuff. I can get a lot in it if I need to including my glasses if I need to change from my contact lenses.

marapets
05-15-2006, 01:10 PM
hi im new aswell welcome to the forum :)

Starfish
05-15-2006, 05:43 PM
Some of you gals carry a huge ammount of stuff - :eek: - is this is on touring bikes with pannier bags? Or do you take a back pack? I take only what will fit in my jersey pockets, my bottle cage and under my seat - but then, i don't do endurance rides either...

I have 3 bottle mounts, so can carry lots of liquids without a Camelbak.

I have a largish wedge under my seat.

I have also discovered I can hook a very small wedge that is intended for under the saddle, under the bars instead, right in front of the headset area. It fits right inside the cables and does not affect steering, braking, etc. I use it for my repair & first aid kits, so that I have extra room in the saddle-wedge, and so that I don't have to work around repair stuff when I'm digging in my saddle wedge for other stuff.

A few things go in my jersey pockets, and partially unwrapped foods go in my Bento Box for easy eating on the fly.

Popoki_Nui
05-16-2006, 08:26 AM
...here in this seatbag. Looking pretty rough now (after 23 years of use!), but it shows no signs of wearing out. In it I have:
-first aid kit: bandages, gauze, tape, scissors, alcohol wipes, antibiotic ointment, small mesh splint, Benadryl, Aspirin, emergency health +contact info.
-repair kit: patches, cement, tire levers, chain breaker, spoke wrench, spare
chain links, various nuts/bolts, hex wrenches, screwdrivers, rag.
-Axiom mini-pump.
-2 power bars.
-change purse with money, ID, and emergency health/contact info.
-car keys.
Externally, one spare tube strapped to the seat post, and two bottle cages on the frame. (In cooler weather, I use one large water bottle, and use the other bottle cage to carry my rain jacket rolled up in a pouch).

hirakukibou
05-17-2006, 03:53 AM
The one thing I carry that hasn't been mentioned is a mini pen and small sheet of paper. I don't know how many times I've met someone and want to give them my e-mail. I also carry a couple of doses of my perscription medications, including asthma medicine.

Popoki_Nui
05-17-2006, 07:45 AM
The one thing I carry that hasn't been mentioned is a mini pen and small sheet of paper. I don't know how many times I've met someone and want to give them my e-mail. I also carry a couple of doses of my perscription medications, including asthma medicine.

What a great idea. I'm putting a pen and paper in my kit today.

GLC1968
05-18-2006, 12:36 PM
What a great list! Thanks everyone...I definitely picked up a few new items that I'm going to have to find room for now! ;)

bcipam
05-18-2006, 12:45 PM
Having a pen along is not a bad idea but awhile ago I got the idea of making my own bicycle related "business cards" with include my email address and other contact info. That way if I get to chatting with someone, I got whip out my card and give it to them. Doesn't take much room at all.

brok
05-18-2006, 02:21 PM
and some $$$$$$$$:D

Tiffanie
05-28-2006, 04:47 PM
and I need to compile my list of everything else needed to be ready for the road. I'll be printing this thread for much needed information!!!!

:D

plantluvver
05-29-2006, 10:11 PM
I am always running late, so I need a cell phone to tell folks I'm on my way. I paln to store the number of a taxi service, cuz I ride in some areas in the city that are some distance from bus routes.

Popoki_Nui
05-29-2006, 10:34 PM
I am always running late, so I need a cell phone to tell folks I'm on my way. I paln to store the number of a taxi service, cuz I ride in some areas in the city that are some distance from bus routes.

Absolutely. I always have my cell clipped to my cycling shorts/tights, in a pouch with a slim credit-card size digital camera (for those Kodak moments :rolleyes: ), and an iPod around my neck. One day I'll get with the 21st century and get a cell phone with a camera built in. Right after I get indoor plumbing. :D

bcipam
05-30-2006, 12:46 PM
I'm a real fan of Camelbak so storage is not an issue. I don't like large seatbags on my bike. They can interfere with pedal stroke. I do have large Bento Bag which is perfect for my camera or cell and keys.

Also, if you have an extra water bottle cage, you can use a empty bottle (with a large mouth) for storage. It's a great place to keep your extra tube, tire irons, patches and bandaids, cleaning cloth, etc. Just make sure its packed so the stuff inside doesn't rattle and drive you crazy.

CycleChic06
05-31-2006, 05:19 AM
Really popoki? You ride while listening to your ipod? That just seems so dangerous to me, not being able to hear oncoming cars or maybe others on bikes trying to pass you.

pikato
05-31-2006, 06:04 AM
Um, what exactly is a bento box?? I mean, I've seen the bento box style food containers,but I'm not really getting how that would strap onto a bike....

Tuckervill
05-31-2006, 07:06 AM
Really popoki? You ride while listening to your ipod? That just seems so dangerous to me, not being able to hear oncoming cars or maybe others on bikes trying to pass you.

On a ride on Sunday, my 12 yo son, riding ahead of us, missed the turn for the trail we were on, and continued up a hill on the road. We didn't know where the road went, so I whistled for him to come back, but he had already crested and I couldn't see him. A cyclist taking a break at the Y said that the trail meets the road again up ahead, so rather than climbing the hill hubby and I went down the trail and waited for him at the intersection.

He never came. We assumed he stopped at the top when he heard the whistle, so hubby went back up the trail in case he had turned around, while I waited there. Some guy was riding by going the opposite direction on the road, so I called to him to tell the kid waiting at the top to come down.

The guy had earphones on--had heard me holler but didn't understand. He pulled out one earplug and I said it again, and he still didn't understand, and then he SLOWED, turned around in the middle of the road on a blind curve :eek: , pulled out the other earplug and then said, "Sorry, I just had to unplug."

I apologized profusely for interrupting his ride, said that it didn't matter and I felt guilty that he stopped. But later I was annoyed that he had earphones on at all. I shouldn't feel guilty. He could have ignored me and kept on riding, although I did think it was nice of him to stop. If he can't hear me though, what else can't he hear? Oh well, it's his melon to smash, I guess.

Karen

Popoki_Nui
05-31-2006, 08:18 AM

I don't have it blasting away if I'm in heavy bike or vehicular traffic, and often I'll shut it off if things get really hairy. Otherwise, on trails and paths, listening at a reasonable level, I can still hear everything that's going on around me.
On long rides, I get bored so I find good kick-a** music provides that motivation to keep me going!

~S.