PDA

View Full Version : oh my, I want to be a triathlete - help?

DrBee
05-08-2006, 10:21 AM
Have I lost my mind? I've decided to start training for my first triathlon. :eek: It's not until next May - so I'm starting with baby steps. I've always been a strong swimmer, but haven't swam in a while. I'm not too worried about that part, I don't think. It's the running that makes me nervous. I haven't run since before I had knee surgery many years ago. So - do you have any suggestions for shoes, reputable shoe stores, and training tips? How's that for a bunch of nebulous questions in one post? ;)

JoyfullySo
05-08-2006, 12:07 PM
Dear fishdr,

Being a newbie myself, I will not even attempt to answer any techincal questions. That is best left to the more experienced. However, this is one thing that I have read on a regular basis- if you want to do a tri, you probably can. Just think of the woman who could not because of sickness, disability, or lack previous athletic experience. Next thing you know, she is crossing a finish line somewhere. We cheer, cry, and become inspiried to follow in her footsteps, hopefully becoming triathletes ourselves.

I believe that when you have the urge to tri, you will not be satisfied until you do... Is that crazy? What about everyone else??

Not a very technical answer, but hopefully and encouraging one....

colby
05-08-2006, 07:10 PM
Well, in the end, I went to a running shoe store and tried on nearly every shoe until they felt right. Going to a "sports store" like Gart or Sports Authority or REI or <other big store> doesn't really work as well as the running stores, they really have a better grasp on brands, fits, and finding the shoe that works for you.

There are a lot of "how to buy a running shoe" links online that I read to determine the style of shoe I should be looking at based on how I run on my feet (from the manufacturers sites, you can tell what kind of runner the shoes were made for). In the end, I think if I would have walked into the store and said "I want to start running and have no idea what I'm doing... what kind of shoes should I get?" that they would have helped me. If they didn't, I wouldn't have bought my shoes there, even if it was a waste of my time to go two places.

As far as being crazy for wanting to be a triathlete, I don't think any triathlete or tri-wannabe would disagree :)

KnottedYet
05-08-2006, 07:46 PM
I really like Brooks Addictions and Ariels. A pair of those and a pair of Superfeet insoles, and my knees and feet are happy.

www.brooksrunning.com

Lise
05-08-2006, 08:09 PM
HAHAHAHAHA! HAHAHAHHA! HAHAHAHA! We got you! you've been lured to the dark side! Assimilated! HAHAHAHA! (I am demented with lack of sleep...haven't slept for more than 45 min since Sunday morning....must go to bed...) I will post a much more helpful reply tomorrow.

Really, truly, I am glad that you're planning to do your first tri. For some reason, I love triathlon very much. I hope it's really fun for you, too. :D L.

Bikechick B
05-08-2006, 08:29 PM
Hey there---I have run a marathon but I have only been cycling 3 months. Shoes--go to a running store
that will watch you run in several types of shoes before you buy--they will "fit" you according to your size and the way you run--also take your old running shoes if you have some--the professionals can tell from the way they are worn how you run. I did the USAfit training program--it is a six month traing program that takes you from nothing to 26.2 miles. It is a great program for training for long distance running. My goal is to do a bi-athelon (just the cycling and running). I can't do the swimming unless they let me use my noodle to stay afloat.
Bikechick B

Lise
05-09-2006, 05:37 AM
Hi, fishdr,

Everybody's made good suggestions. I was pretty surprised when I finally went in to be fitted for good running shoes. They can tell a lot from watching me and looking at my old shoes. I did this twice over a year, in two different shops. I was a lot happier at the smaller, neighborhood shop. They took more time, and I like the shoes better.

I found Eric Harr's book, Triathlon Training in Four Hours a Week very helpful. When training for the marathon, I relied on John Bingham's Marathon Training For Mortals. I think the run is the easiest part, technically speaking. Mainly, you gotta run to train for it. Doing "brick" workouts will help, too. That's where you bike a distance, then get off and run right after. Running immediately after biking is different than just heading out the door for a run.

Have fun learning and training. :) Lise

DrBee
05-09-2006, 06:12 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions! They are very helpful!

Lise - somehow I knew you would be the one to give me the "HAHAHAHHA". You started my day with a laugh -thanks!

I have already looked up the info on pronation and such for shoes. I think all I need is cushioning shoes. I'm going to try to get to a shop or two while in MD. There must be a running shoe store around here somewhere.

I'm looking forward to additional training! I just have to figure out where to find the time. Like with the bike - I'll make time. I'm getting pretty creative.

Starfish
05-13-2006, 05:27 PM
Fishdr, thanks for your posts. I'm just starting to think about triathlons, too, but I feel crazy for thinking it. I used to swim, so I'm not worried about that, and I currently bike and not worried about that. But, I haven't run in about 20 years, when I injured my knee running too much in college. I am worried about my knee holding up.

I have a friend who did her first Ironman last year at 50yo, and she is trying to talk me into training. She did a lot of walking on the run portion. That is something that lures me into considering it.

I'll be interested to hear how it all goes for you!

KnottedYet
05-14-2006, 03:33 PM
I'm planning to walk the whole darn run of the Danskin. I know I won't have what it takes to run after swimming 1/2 mile and biking 12 miles. THIS time...