PDA

View Full Version : after child birth traing regime?

Jennifer
05-08-2006, 07:29 AM
Any suggestions for a training regime to get me back in shape? I'm not talking about losing weight, I mean endurance and strength. I had my baby 3 weeks ago and I'm definately ready to start riding again.

I've got my road bike set up on the rollers int he living room, because I'm breast feeding I can't leave the baby for more than a couple hours, and I just am not ready to be on the roads.

I am a (predominately) mountain bike rider if that makes a diff.

maillotpois
05-08-2006, 07:52 AM
What does your doctor say? After I had a baby I was supposed to be off execrcise for 6 weeks, as I recall. I had a c-section so that may have been the difference. But please check with your doctor first.

Once you get the okay from your doctor, I say start slow and build up. You've just been through about as much physically as you can put your body through. Things will be readjusting and healing for quite some time. Don't expect too much too soon and don't push yourself.

I started back with walking (fast) with the jogger stroller and built up from there. The trainer indoors is probably good, too, but you also want to get outside and walking with the stroller (and later, a backpack carrier) is great. I used that backpack carrier til Em was about 5. I tell you that builds some quad muscles!!! (Especially if you do the Dipsea steps with it! :p )

Dianyla
05-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Three weeks ago? Did you deliver vaginally? :eek:

Surlygirl
05-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Better ask your doctor. I was told 6 weeks also. You don't want to start to early and hemorrhage. You have to give your body time to recover.

slinkedog
05-09-2006, 10:52 AM
The other thing I've heard that might be of some concern to you, since you're bf'ing, is that if you work too hard, you can get lactic acid in the breast milk which can be upsetting to Baby. Not sure if this is true... Lise is a midwife... maybe she can tell us more.

Jennifer
05-12-2006, 08:00 AM
I did ask the doctor. She said that once I stop bleeding I could start slowly.

I had no rips or tears, no epesiotomy, so stopped at 2 weeks. Natural vaginal childbirth. I've been doing yard work, landscaping, mowing, hauling stone, tilling, gardening and chasing a 2 year old. Walking would be a break. I have been doing a regimine of planks, girl push ups, and crunches to build up core strength so I will be able to mountain bike when the time comes (I'll start slowly this weekend) Today I rode the trainer for 30 min, ave hr 120, which is pretty low. So I am starting out easy. But walk? I don't think so. Although I will admit that pushing a twin stroller full of baby is no stroll through the park, I don't consider that my "workout".

But yes I have doctor approval. Also, I would like to do a mountain bike race June 4. I don't want to WIN or anything, just get out and not embarass myself!

RoadRaven
05-13-2006, 12:25 AM
Wow, Jennifer, I'm surprised the doctor gave you the all clear after only three weeks as it takes 5-6 for the womb to get prettty much back to normal...

However, you're talking about starting gently and not going and doing a century, so I think you should be ok. Pregnancy and childbirth are natural processes and not an illlness as it was treated a couple of hundred years ago.

I believe if you just take it steadily and listen to your body (make sure you are taking plenty of iron and calcium in your diet so you and baby have plenty of both).

interesting point, Slinke, about the lactic acid crossing over into breast milk - i hadn't heard of that before, but it does make sense!

doc
05-13-2006, 05:36 AM
Since you can't go anywhere, you can try stairs. When I'm stuck at work overnight or longer, I walk (very quickly) up and down the same flight of stairs for an hour. Good music is a must cuz it can get pretty boring. It is an amazing quad and calf work out. I use a heart monitor to make sure I don't get lazy. It's too easy to slow down on the way up. You'll get your heart rate up as high as you want for sure! I usually maintain a HR of 150 if the music is lively. There is also very little bumping up and down since you aren't actually running. That means it's gentler for the uterus and less likely to start bleeding.

When i was breast feeding and post partum I also did jump rope which is alot of bumping up and down, but I started that after 6 weeks. Again, amazingly tough workout but you're right there for when the baby cries.

RoadRaven
05-13-2006, 12:22 PM
Good advice, doc...

Stair climbing uses very similar muscles to cycling...

How do I know this? Because after a race or a hard training ride, for the next day I can intensely feel each step on the stairs (my office is on the second floor, and my classes on the third floor and rarely use the elevator)

Jennifer
05-14-2006, 07:21 AM
Wow, Jennifer, I'm surprised the doctor gave you the all clear after only three weeks as it takes 5-6 for the womb to get prettty much back to normal...

However, you're talking about starting gently and not going and doing a century, so I think you should be ok. Pregnancy and childbirth are natural processes and not an illlness as it was treated a couple of hundred years ago.

I believe if you just take it steadily and listen to your body (make sure you are taking plenty of iron and calcium in your diet so you and baby have plenty of both).

interesting point, Slinke, about the lactic acid crossing over into breast milk - i hadn't heard of that before, but it does make sense!

that's a good idea, it's probably pretty important that i supplement now, if there ever was a time.

I'm definately taking it easy, and going one day at a time.
I really like the stairs idea, but I don't really have convenient acesss.

RoadRaven
05-14-2006, 10:39 AM
Hi again Jennifer
If you can, avoid supplementing - if you enjoy iron rich food (like beef or loads of silverbeet) and if you can consume plenty of dairy/calcium (cheese, milk, yoghurt) then you shouldn't need to take supplements.
Our bodies are much more efficient at utilising real food, then vitimin pills.
Good luck and enjoy your bubba

Lise
05-15-2006, 03:11 AM
Hi--I'm popping in here--I never looked at this particular board before, but the words "afer child birth" caught my eye! :p I saw it as "after child birth trauma", so I'm glad I read it wrong the first time. I am a midwife, and I'd just second what everybody else said. Be mindful, too, about the calories, to get enough good quality food. If your breastmilk supply declines, I would take it a bit easier, and drink and eat more. If you start having bright red bleeding again, take it easier, let your uterus heal more. I'm sure your doc's told you all of this. All in all you probably have a wonderfully healthy body that is healing well and nourishing your baby. The exercise will definitely help ward off any depression. Good luck with achieving your goals! Lise

Jennifer
05-16-2006, 06:35 PM
Hi--I'm popping in here--I never looked at this particular board before, but the words "afer child birth" caught my eye! :p I saw it as "after child birth trauma", so I'm glad I read it wrong the first time. I am a midwife, and I'd just second what everybody else said. Be mindful, too, about the calories, to get enough good quality food. If your breastmilk supply declines, I would take it a bit easier, and drink and eat more. If you start having bright red bleeding again, take it easier, let your uterus heal more. I'm sure your doc's told you all of this. All in all you probably have a wonderfully healthy body that is healing well and nourishing your baby. The exercise will definitely help ward off any depression. Good luck with achieving your goals! Liset

That is almost verbatem what my doctor said! Even the part about depression, which is a big deal for me.

Lise
05-17-2006, 04:09 PM
That is almost verbatem what my doctor said! Even the part about depression, which is a big deal for me.
Glad to hear it. Exercise is an incredibly powerful tool for avoiding/overcoming depression. Take care, L.

ritualistic
05-24-2006, 02:24 AM
if u had a normal birth, then riding is okay after a lil time itself..but caesarian: u shud consult ur doc

Tuckervill
05-24-2006, 04:40 AM
And umm...where's our picture of the baby?? :D

Trek420
05-24-2006, 05:12 AM
Interesting article for the über-Moms

http://www.velonews.com/train/articles/3767.0.html

Jennifer
05-25-2006, 09:39 AM
wow! What a great link!

I knew I wasn't the only crazy one!

Jennifer
07-06-2006, 12:43 PM
I went to a race this weekend and placed 2nd in the sport class. The baby is 11 weeks old now. I think I figured out how to put up a picture.... 1019 this is when he was about 6 weeks.

Brandy
07-06-2006, 02:13 PM
He's gorgeous Jennifer! Congratulations on that new babe and your 2nd place finish :)

light_sabe_r
07-06-2006, 06:07 PM
Congratulations on you win!!!

And also congratulations on your little man. Why is babies are so cute when they're asleep??