PDA

View Full Version : Homemade, healthy packable snack

bike4ever
05-08-2006, 05:06 AM
I was looking for ideas to what folks like for a homemade, healthy bike friendly snack. Everyone has their personal preferences on store bought bars; however what do you make yourself? I'll start it off: I like to take a simple baggy of grapes. Sometimes I toast a bagel with a slice of cheese and cut it into smaller pieces.

Other ideas?

uk elephant
05-08-2006, 05:10 AM
I've been making my own trail mix and packing in little baggies. Just mixing up raisins (plain, various colours, chocolate covered, yogurt covered), some chopped nuts (hazelnuts, walnuts, pistachios, pine nuts), other dried fruit (cherries, apricots, crystalized pineapple), prezels, choclate pieces and sunflower seeds. Very tasty.

Veronica
05-08-2006, 06:06 AM
Sometimes I'll do a peanut butter and banana sandwich on wheat bread - especially if I know I'm riding somewhere with few food options.

V.

skibum
05-08-2006, 06:34 AM
I'll sometimes put together a bunch of peanut butter and crackers. For me, that works a little better than a peanut butter sandwich. I'm one of those salty sweaters so the salt on the crackers helps me out.

shadon
05-08-2006, 08:08 AM
I keep wondering how to carry a peanut butter sandwich and such..in my jersey pocket?

JoyfullySo
05-08-2006, 09:59 AM
Have you ever made your own granola bars???

Try several older, hippie commune type cookbooks for a good recipe. they rock!!!

BigRingB*tch
05-08-2006, 10:18 AM
My husband and I both enjoy packing these. We keep them in the freezer, take one or two out as needed (if my husband doesn't eat them all first):

Chocolate Protein Muffins
Make 12 muffins
1 TBSP baking powder
6 egg whites
2 TBSP unsweetened coco powder
3/4 small pkg. sugar free, fat free Jello choc. fudge pudding mix
2 scoops chocolate protein
1/3 - 1/2 cup Splenda
1/3 cup Cottage cheese or yogurt or tofu
For Very chocolaty flavor 1/4 cup sugar free chocolate syrup
3/4 Cup Oat flour sometimes a tad bit more check batter consistency (Can be made by grinding oats in food processor)
3/4 cup Oats

Stir all ingredients together & fill sprayed (with non-stick spray) muffin tin for 12 muffiins. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes. Cool on rack and put in a freezer zippie.

uk elephant
05-09-2006, 02:26 AM
I must admit that when I see things like Splenda and sugar-free fat-free powder mix in a recipie I cringe. I can not believe it is good for you. In my opinion it is not natural. Real sugar and fat are natural ingredients which means they must be healthy and they are of course much tastier. You just have to not eat too much of it in one go.

BigRingB*tch
05-09-2006, 11:56 AM
The above protein muffin recipe can be adjusted to taste and ingredients to your preference;).