PDA

View Full Version : Sunday 5/7/06, EMC2/Vellum Criterium

BikeMomma
05-07-2006, 04:08 PM
Fresh home from this race & hopefully I can crank out this report in one sitting before succumbing to a nap that keeps wanting to happen. I doubt they have the results page up yet, so I’ll come back and post that whenever they do, and maybe any pics I can find.

This was a fun one, and I did well, especially as us Cat 4’s were racing against the Cat 3’s. They don’t separate the two categories in the final race results, so where you finish in the pack, that’s what you go home with. There were 26 riders that finished – I don’t know how many started – and I placed 16th! I’m pretty jazzed! Rocket-grrrl Charlotte nabbed fourth again, and still wouldn’t share her wine winnings with me. Ha! Charlotte, if you read this, thanks for the Hammer stuff, the awesome tunes, the grreat company, and the gas money that you didn’t need to give me. :p :p

The course was a short clockwise loop in a business park just off of Hopeyard Ave in Pleasanton. The streets looked reeeally familiar…I think the Cinderella route passes close by. There were three 90-degree corners and one wide sweeping corner, and the roads were smooth and fairly wide, with lots of shade trees. Overall, an excellent course.

The pace of this race was rather strange sometimes. We started off slow and then someone rode fast up the side, probably to get things started, and then it went off from there. We had moments when we were flying, and then we slowed, and it just kept on like that. With 10 or so laps to go, there was a yukky crash that happened just ahead of me and to the left – three ladies went down from what I could see, and I learned later that the loud bang we heard was her bike breaking in pieces (if you read this, glad you gals are ok and hope you’re back out there soon with a brand new ride…). They still hadn’t cleared the road by the time we came around again, so they neutralized us for a couple laps, and then completely stopped and restarted us with 9 laps to go. No more incidents after that.

Overall, very fun! Here’s my stats…again, I forgot to clear my computer before we started (airhead :rolleyes: ), so the riding around I did before the race is included, as well as our slower neutral laps: Total time/ 1:35:38; Distance/ 28.81mi; Max speed/ 29.0mph; Avg speed/ 18.0mph; Calories burned/ 827; Avg hr/ 159; Max hr/ 188.

Thanks for reading! Naptime (while my kids are asleep too)! :D ZZZzzzzzz.......
~BikeMomma

p.s. Almost forgot -- was anyone out riding their tandem with their DH/SO at the shopping center near Dublin Ave today? This would have been around 11:30/:45 or so. We visited Peets and while I was sitting outside, saw an awesome purple tandem with two dressed-alike riders go by. You guys looked great.

Lise
05-07-2006, 05:34 PM
These races sound amazing. Glad you had a great day. I rode my usual route of city streets today, and took a left hand turn pretty fast. I guess that seldom happens in my world, because I felt rather shaky doing it. I'm fine with the right hand turns. But when I read "three 90 degree corners", I shuddered. More power to you! :D

Trekhawk
05-07-2006, 08:42 PM
Congratulations on the 16th slot. Sounds like you are having a blast out there.
Cornering fast - yep thats another part of riding Ill enjoy thru your ride reports.

Trek-corners like a snail-hawk:D

cindysue
05-08-2006, 06:54 AM
Congrats Kim!

I can't imagine keeping that pace for that long!

Where are your races in June? Maybe we could get a group of gals to go watch, then head out for a ride afterwards.

bikerz
05-08-2006, 07:45 AM
Where are your races in June? Maybe we could get a group of gals to go watch, then head out for a ride afterwards.
That sounds fun - we'll be so inspired!

BikeMomma
05-08-2006, 11:12 PM
Yea, that does sound fun. I'll check out the racing calendar to see what's coming up. It gets sortof sparse during the summer months. Once it gets hot, it's hard to hold a multi-category race day/weekend. Don't want all the racers keeling over from heat exhaustion. :eek: Maybe there's something on the coast, though.

If not, we still have our Monterey ride on the 29th of June. That will be fun!
~BikeMomma

RoadRaven
05-13-2006, 12:55 PM
BikeMoma - I always enjoy reading your accounts - and a crit is very scarey to me so am always in awe of these accounts

Well done on a race well ridden

:)

Vino
05-21-2006, 05:57 PM
Hey Kim,

I didn't win any wine (sour grapes lol)!

The Dash For Cash is Sat. June 3 and the fours start at 8:45. I upgraded to a three (oh joy and I start after you) so ya wanna carpool?

See you Tuesday?

Vino:cool: :p :D :o :confused: :) :( :eek: :mad: :rolleyes: ;) :p :cool: :D :o

BikeMomma
05-21-2006, 07:33 PM
Hey Charlotte!

Ok, so no wine this time, but how did you do otherwise? Ummm....Everyone, Charlotte raced today: Stocton Grand Prix (http://www.deltavelo.com/content/grandprix2006/2006.doc) (it's ok, the link is safe to open). You all can read her and her teammates' race reports here: Team CVC Race Reports page (http://www.cvcycling.org/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=17). I bowed out for this one 'cause I've been sorta sick this week, and because the dh had to work today. I suppose I could have found a sitter, but excuses, excuses! :p

Re the Dash for Cash -- I think there's a bridal shower I rsvp'd to for a gal at work that day, but I think I'd rather race. That's an easy choice. ;) As of right now, I see no other conflicts. My bro is getting married the evening before (friday evening at the lake), but shouldn't affect me for Saturday unless I have too much to drink at the reception. :D :D

Yep, I should be there Tuesday. Cya then!
~Kim

ps Forgot to congratulate you on the upgrade! You go grrrl!!!

Lise
05-22-2006, 02:46 AM
You guys continue to amaze me. In my tri yesterday, I finally got up the courage to keep pedaling through the corners. Nice, wide corners with no other bikes around me. One corner was a bit tight, for me. I never did pedal through that one. Race on! I love the reports. :) L.

maillotpois
05-22-2006, 07:33 AM
Great report - glad you didn't get caught up in the crash. That can be so scary!

Vino
06-01-2006, 08:14 AM
I think it's gonna be hot for the Dash 4 Cash.
I try to keep my race reports colorful to say the least (ha!)

Anyhow, since I have a public domain to hound you about races here's a list to consider:

6 /10 Fremont Crit
6/17 Folsom Crit
6/18 Nevada City Crit

You missed one hulluva ride Tuesday. Kevin, Eugene and I showed up and the group smelled blood (post six hour ride weakness I suppose) and we left Raley's in a ball of 28 mph flames. The ride settled in at 25 mph going out Bear Creek and then coming in everyone was taking it slow (total reverse of the usual pace lol). Eugene, Kevin and I crossed the line in 1,2,3 in the group sprint. That'll teach 'em to mess with us. My legs felt pretty strong -- how about you? I was in a comma most of Tuesday morning. Get this: Steve had to get up at 1am for work the same night. We owe him a six pack :eek:

Hey, don't be so surprised at your results -- you're getting stronger and staying at the front.

Ciao,
Vino
See you tonight for the ride, or call me. :cool:

BikeMomma
06-01-2006, 07:16 PM
Hey Speedy - nice ride tonight, except for that crosswind down the last hill --- wassup with that?? My feet (arches) were cramping BIGtime...first the left, then the right. It was all I could do to hang onto John's wheel.

At least we race earlier in the day on Saturday.....shouldn't be too warm then (let's hope anyway). I have no idea how I'll be on Saturday...my brother is getting married tomorrow and I'm going to TRY to be good and split early, much to my mother's frowns of disapproval, I'm sure.....

Fremont's a possible. So'z Folsom. Nevada City is out....Dad's Day. Gotta pay my respects to Big Daddy Nutt. :p

I'll call ya with what time Taxi Kim will be by to pick you up. hehe :D

Good job showin' the boyz who's boss Tuesday (and heck! tonight too!)
Grrrl power!
Later...
~k

BikeMomma
06-01-2006, 07:46 PM
You guys continue to amaze me. In my tri yesterday, I finally got up the courage to keep pedaling through the corners. Nice, wide corners with no other bikes around me. One corner was a bit tight, for me. I never did pedal through that one. Race on! I love the reports. :) L.

Great report - glad you didn't get caught up in the crash. That can be so scary!
Hey Sarah & Lise -- thanks for the encouragement. You guys are awesome, too. :)

Lise, keep practicing those corners. Don't be afraid to lean in, and trust your wheels to stick and carry you through. Once you get the technique, then work on the speed. You'll get it, don't worry.

Sarah, yea the crash was pretty ugly. Loud too. I just knew someone was going to eat it, the way the race was just all over the place. I was just hoping it didn't involve ME. I had to swerve a little, but that's it.

Send "luck vibes" for Char (Vino) and I Saturday a.m. (8:45 & 9:40 start times). Racing in Pleasanton (VeloGirl - I see you're entered! Yay! See you there & good luck to you :) ). PM me for race details if anyone wants to come watch. Slinkedog??

Thanks girlz! :)
~BikeMomma