PDA

View Full Version : Inverted duathlon

Lise
05-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Tomorrow I'm doing the 2nd annual Run to Remember, to raise money for a memorial here in Chicago for police officers killed in the line of duty. It's a really cool event. I went down to the Police Academy today to pick up my race packet (my sister said: You're really serious about getting a boyfriend, eh? :rolleyes: Go straight to the source, I say) Alas, at 6:15 PM there were only two sort of old guys and three pudgy middle-aged women behind the folding table. And me. But I digress.

So I ask if there'll be a gear check, as I'm riding my bike down. "You're riding your bike and then running?", exclaims one of the women. Another of the women says, "She's a triathlete!" I'm standing there staring at them, first puzzled that anyone thinks it's odd to ride then run, and then astonished that this stranger knows that I'm a triathlete! "Yes! I am! How did you know?" :rolleyes: "You're doing two of the three sports. I figured it out." :o Ahem. OK. I told them that I steadfastly refuse to jump in the lake at this point in the season. We agreed that it was more of an inverted duathlon--ride/run/ride. Funny moment. I'm still startled that anyone thinks of me as an athlete at all! :D

Tri Girl
05-05-2006, 07:23 PM
An inverted duathlon. How funny! Sounds like it'll be a fun race, and for a great cause. And who knows, maybe you will pick up one of Chicago's finest whilst racing...

How great that she knew you were a triathlete!:D

Lise
05-06-2006, 07:52 AM
Rode my beautiful Green Hornet downtown (8.7 mi), ran the 5K, rode home. In between checked out some fine looking police officer/runners, met up with my friend Paul, enjoyed a gorgeous spring morning in Chicago, and ate a Mojo bar. Nanci is right, that's the kind of bar I like. Sweetish yet salty.

The water station had beer, too. No joke! I don't drink, but I heard some guys behind me talking about how "that beer really hit the spot". I thought they were joking, until they got close enough for me to smell the beer on their breath! I let them go on past. Only in Chicago. :rolleyes:

Great morning. Hope the weekend's off to a good start for all of you, too. L.