PDA

View Full Version : Pedal question...

Brandy
05-05-2006, 10:04 AM
Hi!

I'm totally new to cycling and considering buying a used Trek 1000 WSD if all works out. My question is about pedals. As a new rider should I go with SPD or LOOK compatible pedals? I have two pairs of cycling shoes that I use for Spinning...

Sidi Raiden road shoes with LOOK cleats
Diadora Gecko MTB shoes with SPD cleats

I've used the Sidi's for about six months, and I'm more comfortable with the LOOK cleats. I'm still getting the hang of the SPD's and have a little bit more trouble clipping in with those, but I've only had them for about a week.

Any suggestions?

SadieKate
05-05-2006, 10:07 AM
If you're familiar with Looks on the road, stay with them.

You'll get the hang of the SPds for mtnbiking. I use Looks on the road and Eggbeaters on dirt. Just give it time and you'll be comfortable with both.

Brandy
05-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Thanks. I feel like I have more power in my pedal stroke with the LOOK cleats, so I'd love to stick with those (especially since they're on my SIDI's) but I was confused because I kept seeing that people recommended SPD's for beginners.

Eden
05-05-2006, 11:49 AM
Thanks. I feel like I have more power in my pedal stroke with the LOOK cleats, so I'd love to stick with those (especially since they're on my SIDI's) but I was confused because I kept seeing that people recommended SPD's for beginners.

I think a lot of people recommend them for first timers because 1. They are relatively easy to get in and out of and unlike many traditional road pedals they are double sided entry. 2. You can walk on the cleat with relative ease, especially if you get mt. bike shoes and the cleat is recessed.
SPD's I think were the first mt. bike cleat too, so many people are familiar with them. Now there are more choices, like frogs and eggbeaters for mt. biking/touring and lots of new road pedal systems also.

I just switched to Crank Bro's Quattros - the choice was mainly motivated by the fact that they are a sponsor for the team and I could try them without spending a huge amount of money. They are a road pedal based on eggbeaters. So far I like them, but I switched shoes at the same time too so its taking a little time to adjust. I can get out easily enough, but clipping in is still sometimes challenging.

Nokomis
05-05-2006, 11:54 AM
If you know the difference between SPD & Look, I think you qualify as beyond beginner! :D

I just got Look installed on my bike & a shiny new pair o' shoes after 2 years of SPD ~ and I feel SO much stronger with them! I also found clipping in so much easier. Unless... well, you get started, foot slides over the top of the peddal, and your body crashes down onto the nose of the saddle, and the boys want to know why you yelled "OW!"... :eek:

Brandy
05-05-2006, 01:40 PM
If you know the difference between SPD & Look, I think you qualify as beyond beginner! :D

Thanks ;) I hope to be past the beginner stage soon. Truly, I know very little about road cycling, except that I want to do it! All of my experience is in the Spinning room at the gym. I never even would have considered taking up cycling, had I not started Spinning. I've never been an athlete and I feel like I have finally found something (at almost 30 years old) that I will really enjoy. We have wonderful weather year round here, so I'm giving it a go!

betagirl
05-07-2006, 04:40 AM
I have Looks on my road bike and love them. Never used SPD so I can't comment there.

Faust
05-07-2006, 05:43 AM
OK I am truely a newbie :) I just started riding about a week ago. I have no idea what those are. I am assuming I have egg-beaters because when my foot comes off the pedal they just spin around. I would like to get something to help me pedal in a circle but I'm afraid to lock in until I've been riding for a little longer. Any thoughts? BTW I love this forum because all the post's are very encouraging and that really helps.

KnottedYet
05-07-2006, 06:30 AM
Faust: Try this link to wikipedia. It has a picture of a pedal with SPD on one side, and regular flat pedal on the other. I clicked a few of the links from this page, and they're pretty good, too. (I like pictures!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_pedal

I just switched my bike from flat pedals (the kind my bike came with) to Speedplay Frogs. http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.frog

The Frog pedals attach to a metal cleat on the bottom of my biking shoes. They are supposed to be very easy for a beginner to learn and gentle on the knees because they have a lot of "float" (your foot can wiggle a good bit before it unhooks the cleat, so it doesn't strain your knee by forcing the knee to wiggle instead of the foot).

If you don't want to get into pedals with cleats yet, you could put toe clips/toe cages on your current flat pedals. I would take the strap off and just play with the clip part. I had toe cages on my flat pedals and it seems like they helped me learn the Frogs.

Brina
05-07-2006, 06:44 AM
I agree - go Look on your road bike. I have been using spds for a long time in spin class and on my hybrid (campus pedals) but got Look Keos on my road bike and I love them - except I am having trouble clipping in - out, no problem, but in is taking me some adjustment time.