PDA

View Full Version : good mile time

akalexlee
05-04-2006, 07:32 PM
I am doing a 25 mile ride for Tour de Cure for diabetes. What is or would be a good mile time. I am not trying to win a race of course, but since I am training to do 25 miles i was just wondering.

SadieKate
05-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Completely depends on the terrain, the type of bike, the wind, etc., etc., etc..

etc., etc., etc. as spoken by Yul Brenner in the "King and I"

akalexlee
05-05-2006, 07:48 AM
Oh, ok even with all those variables, how about a good average time.

Adventure Girl
05-05-2006, 07:53 AM
Oh, ok even with all those variables, how about a good average time.It still depends on those variables. A 15mph average riding a hybrid up Mt. Diablo would be SMOKIN' fast! But 15mph on a flat TT course would really be considered pretty slow.

Bike, rider, weather, terrain, tires, gearing, wind, etc., etc., etc....

RoadRaven
05-05-2006, 01:58 PM
Hey there akalex...

Are you able to find results for this ride somewhere?

If you search for the results online, or ring the organisers, you might be able to find a range of times that people have completed this in.
Then look for a name you know, or otherwise find the results for women your age...

It is hard to give your a time to aim for, or an average speed to ride to without any knowledge of the course.

Good luck

Geonz
05-17-2006, 06:27 AM
A mile is too short to even think about - and then there are all those bike and terrain factors.
Why does speed matter at all? Are you worried about finishing in time, or having the endurance? If it's the latter, then it's the pace you can sustain, not the time it takes to do a mile.

CR400
05-18-2006, 10:46 AM
Based on one mile

2 min is 30mph, blistering and I doubt few of us on the forum are capable of it except down hill, or with a huge tail wind, myself included. It would take under an hour at this pace on flat to gently rolling terrain.

3 min is 20mph a strong pace and hard to maintain if you haven't worked at it. But under the same conditions above it should take an hour and 15 min.

4 min is 15mph which is a nice easy pace to ride 25 miles at depending on level of ability and/or climbing factors. It should take around an hour and 40 min at this pace. Still respectable and won't burn yourself out.

6 min is 10mph. Which means it is a ride mostly up hill, it is extremely casual, or a very new cyclist. 2 and a half hours.

And between these are all the other paces. Remember ride at the pace that is comfortable for you. No reason to really push yourself for it unless you want to get a high average or a PR.