PDA

View Full Version : My first open water swim

Tri Girl
05-04-2006, 03:52 PM
Today I went for my first open water swim (with a wetsuit and all). Aside from the fact that the water was freezing and it kept taking my breath away, I really enjoyed it.

Dealing with sighting and the waves was so foreign, and yet I enjoyed the challenge. I swam with 2 guys who were pretty experienced and helpful. I think I like the open water, although it was pretty scary not being able to see the bottom (I think I'm hypnotized by the black line in the pool). I loved the flotation the wetsuit gave- I wish I could wear it every time I swam.

I've never had to do an open water tri, and I'm doing one in 2 weeks, so I thought I'd better practice.

What do you ladies think about open water swimming? Any tips you can pass along?:)

Lise
05-04-2006, 07:38 PM
I like open water swimming. It's how I learned to swim as a kid, in Lake Michigan. Other than the coldness..., I prefer it to a pool. In open water, you're really going somewhere, not just back and forth. Sighting is key. In races, though, I stay close to the bouy line, and sight off the bouys. The first year, when I didn't do that, I swam way out of the course! Drag. Swam back on course, adding about 50 yd to my swim. Have fun.

KnottedYet
05-04-2006, 09:08 PM
I swim in the ocean and lakes and rivers, seems like where I always swam as a kid, too. Just don't like pools. Don't like them. Nope.

Gave away my wetsuit about 13 years ago. It was a used one that I wore for my job (marine zoology) until it got pretty yucky and I donated it to the "you can borrow this one" pile at work.

Now I'm looking at getting a new one. Probably an NRS farmer jane for $89.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2225&deptid=1163

DirtDiva
05-05-2006, 08:16 AM
Does make this little kiwi's mind boggle though - I learned to swim in the sea when I was about three, which isn't exactly uncommon in NZ (I had to stand up to breathe though, so Mum and Dad packed me off to proper lessons at the pool). I suppose there's whole big chunks of the world where the sea isn't quite so handy!