PDA

View Full Version : 7kg Bouncing Baby!

arnaew
05-03-2006, 10:18 PM
So a couple of weeks ago SO is at LBS picking up some gizmo or another. When I walk in he's quizzing the young dude (who he doesn't like much because he's a cocky young smart **s) about an Orbea Onyx. He asks me what I think of it and before I know what's going on it appears I'm in the market for a new ride - I didn't know I needed to change, but there you go. So I mention to SO that I had seen pix of the Specialized Ruby, and if I was going to get a new bike, could I have a look at her please? SO was in his element. so off we went around all the LBS's, looking at what each had to offer.The Ruby that we found was just gorgeous, but too big. Problem: it was also the only one left in the country! Apparently they only ship half a dozen to Australia, in varying sizes, and once they're gone, that's it. To import one would mean paying full import taxes (about $US5,400). So goodbye Ruby. So eventually we went back to original LBS where Orbea still was. In conversation with owner, he mentions that a friend of his is selling a Daccordi Race Fiber. He doesn't normally recommend second hand bikes but as he sold this one about 18 months prior and has done all the servicing on it, he was happy to stand by it. Now this bike is AMAZING. It's full carbon fibre, with all high end componentry - fitted with Campag Record. And it weighs 7 kilos (15.4lbs). I rode it, I bought it, I rode it again. Ooooooh!
It's such a difference from my Reynolds 531 steel frame (13 kilos) - I'm just afraid that my hefty self will break it! But I've been up the dreaded Norton Summit, and oh so light and responsive! SO changed the cassette to 12/26 as I'm shabby on hills (prev. 11/23) and she's lubbly jubbly. This bike will always be better than me, but I don't care. I'm taking her for the first big workout on Sunday - second leg of the SA Grand Slam, 100k including Willunga Hill, which Tour Down Under viewers would be familiar with (aaargh!). Ain't love grand?:)
A

Image of the new kid

http://www.dbmagazine.com.au/cyclo/Daccordi.sm.jpg

SO and me on Reynolds finishing the 2005 Tour Down Under

http://www.dbmagazine.com.au/cyclo/Alex&Arna:Finish%20line%2005.jpg

Pedal Wench
05-04-2006, 05:30 AM
She's BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I've been lusting after those Eurus wheels - they must absolutely FLOAT up hills! Good luck!!!!

maillotpois
05-04-2006, 06:46 AM
What a beautiful bike! You must be so happy. I always want to have a new bike sleep inside, in my room! :D

DirtDiva
05-04-2006, 07:04 AM
Very nice! I like the colour. ;)

Trekhawk
05-04-2006, 09:34 AM
Beautiful bike you will be flying up those SA hills now.:)