PDA

View Full Version : Training question

trekchic
08-15-2003, 10:23 AM
I am so sad! I ordered my bike last week and it still isn't in! I can't ride every day, because I am borrowing a friend's bike and she rides a lot!

I am keeping up with the running and walking daily as well as my weight training. I used to work out 3 times a week (resistance training with machines) and now I find I can only do that 2 times a week.

So, now that I am starting so late in the year and want to be ready to race by Spring 04, what should I be doing? Anyone do the spin classes at the YMCA?

MightyMitre
08-15-2003, 02:33 PM
Hi Ksbell - here in the UK the racing season ends in October and starts again in March. Traditionally most riders take October 'off'. ie no racing, time to relax, eat too much etc. Serious training starts again in November and gradually builts up through the winter ( and all the bad weather:mad: ) which makes it extra hard.

The main emphasis is on distance and duration to build up your base endurance, combine with some weights and cross training (depending how dedicated you are ;)) I really enjoyed going to spin classes in January when the weather was just too bad to go out. They made a nice break from sticking it out on the home trainer.

As the spring starts , riders often start adding in some sprint work and intervals to get the speed up ready for racing.

I don't know how your race season runs or if you're able to ride over the winter, but I'd say you've got more than enough time to be ready for Spring 04 season.

If you've already got some particular races or events in mind for next year, why not work back from those dates to the present and schedule in some training targets or goals over the coming months, so you're not just grinding away and you can see how you're improving?:)

Dogmama
08-16-2003, 04:18 AM
Spinning is a nice alternative - especially if you have somebody who has ridden a bke before. I was in class last week where the instructor was trying visualization "listen to the birds as you sprint down a hill". Last time I sprinted down a hill, the wind in my ears blocked out all sound. Oh well...

trekchic
08-16-2003, 01:50 PM
That is too funny about the birds!!!!!!!! The few times I have ridden, the last thing I was thinking about was the birds!

I am looking at buying a stationary bike for my house for the winter. I live in Middle Tennessee, so our winters aren't very bad until January/February; and then it is mostly rain and ice. We don't get a whole lot of snow. I have looked into the spin classes and think I would like them a couple of times a week. I think IF I dress warmly enough, though, and it's not raining, I would rather be outside. How hard is it to train in the cold air?

I am BRAND NEW to this, as you can tell. I have a goal of running my 1st race by April of next year. I am working very hard at getting my diet corrected and physique in shape for that. I don't have to beat EVERYBODY my 1st time out.........just SOMEBODY!

hahahaha!

Thanks for all the advice.

Kim in TN

Grasshopper
08-17-2003, 04:40 AM
What about getting a Trainer instead? I believe they're cheaper and smaller and you would be sitting on your own bike - so you know it's fitted to your body! I'm going to get one this fall and by winter, one of the local bike shops moves inventory over and has "spin" parties after hours with their shop team. Everyone brings their bike and their trainers and they ride to a tape. They do this in place of their normal ride when it gets too cold! I'm hoping to join in this winter :)

Dogmama
08-17-2003, 04:48 AM
I would have to be really dedicated to endure an indoor stationary bike. I'd do spin classes first.

Riding in the cold weather is about layering. You need to be able to shed layers as you warm up. Also, you will sweat, so be sure to have a jersey with sweat wicking capabilities next to your skin.

Veronica
08-17-2003, 05:05 AM
Spinervals videos aren't so bad. I do those when I can't get to spin class in the winter. My husband does them all winter long since he doesn't belong to a gym.

Veronica

trekchic
08-17-2003, 01:48 PM
I have heard that people don't like the trainers. Someone suggested getting some "rollers" instead? What are they?

I think I could commit to the spin classes 2-3 times a week. Is that enough spinning as long as I am still doing weight training and running as well? I can probably get back outside by mid March.

You guys are great!

Veronica
08-17-2003, 02:39 PM
Rollers sit under your front and rear wheels. There is no resistance on them. They are good for working on form and technique - spinning smoothly and steering in a straight line. You can't stand on them. There is no support for the bike.

Trainers have resistance, they are good for building endurance and strength. The trainer supports the bike so you can stand. You can work on technique if you you're in a low gear.

We have a trainer. We both use it throughout the winter. I get as a good a workout from it use Spinerval tapes as spin class.

Veronica

Dogmama
08-17-2003, 03:49 PM
Using rollers - don't you have to protect your bike from sweat? Seems like I've seen something you can buy that does that.

Spin classes 2-3X week - depends on how hard you work. I usually have a lake of sweat under my bike because I use it for high end to anaerobic training. I figure if I "bonk", at least I don't have to ride home in traffic! So, 2X/week would be the absolute maximum that you'd want to do that, with one spin class being more endurance/form oriented. But, it's a great way to push your limit & get better each time!

trekchic
08-17-2003, 04:02 PM
What is the best trainer to buy? What are the best videos to buy?

I looked at the YMCA list and they only offer spin class 2x a week anyway.......so that answers that!

Veronica
08-17-2003, 04:35 PM
We have a Kurt Kinetic road trainer. We've had it for about 18 months. It's totally sealed and is built like a tank. We use the Spinervals tapes - have 7 out of 9 from the competition series. I highly encourage the use of a fan with these videos. :D We got our videos at Performance but here's a link to the website for the company. We got the trainer directly from Kurt.

http://www.kurtkinetic.com/

http://www.spinervals.com/catalog.asp#competition

Veronica

MightyMitre
08-18-2003, 04:41 AM
Hi Ksbell

I've also got a home trainer - it's an Elite and is also built like a tank so i don't have to worry about doing out of the saddle work. You can also adjust the tension if you want to make the work out harder.

Dogmama mentioned protecting the frame from sweat. This is very true as the minerals in and salt in sweat can damage your paintwork over time. You can just drape a towel over the frame or you can buy actual protectors made out or stretchy material which you attach to the handle bars with velcro and an elastic loop goes over the saddle and seatpost.

I tend to use the trainer maybe once or twice a week in the evenings . However, I still prefer to be outside and at the weekend I always try to ride outside. I must admit, it's hard work to got out when it's already raining, but once you're in it ok.

The only weather I think twice about is very strong winds or if the roads are very icey/frosty. I'm afraid I don't really know what the climate is like in Tennessee in the winter, but as long as you wrap up warm I'm sure you'd be fine. Obviously if there's snow around then I think I'd probably stay in, but don't let the weather put you off. It's nice to get some fresh air.:)

trekchic
08-18-2003, 12:19 PM
MY BIKE IS STILL NOT IN!!!!!!! TREK IS BACK LOGGED WITH ORDERS AND WHO KNOWS WHEN IT WILL BE HERE! The bike shop owner/friend of mine, now says he'll do his best to get it here and built this week. I can't wait that long!!!!!!!

I am going into shock! I am tired of riding someone else's bike!

Kim in TN

Grasshopper
08-18-2003, 12:24 PM
You poor poor thing!!! You're going to be beside yourself when it does finally get here!!! Breathing helps.....nice slow deep breaths :)

trekchic
08-18-2003, 02:00 PM
Thank you for putting me back at ease!

I am having a hard time NOT knocking bikers off and stealing their bikes!!!!!!!!!!

I have called the bike shop owner back and asked him to find me a loaner for this week. We'll see if he finds one!

Thanks again!