PDA

View Full Version : Biking in Germany

GreyJ.J.
05-03-2006, 09:01 AM
Has anyone here biked in Germany? I am going in August and will be biking in the Munsterland Bike Park and also the Mosel River Valley- latter trip with Euro-Bike-they have been great to work with so far. How are the bike routes,maps,etc.? Any feedback is appreciated

Running Mommy
05-03-2006, 10:29 AM
No recomendations, but I am SOOO jealous!!! I have family in Germany, and I remember biking w/ my cousin when I was over there YEARS ago! - 1989 for the reunification (or was it 90-91?? ohh my memory). Of course back then I hated exercise and saw it as just a way to get to the store and back. If Iwere there today I would enjoy it for all it's worth!
Have fun!!! I LOVE it there!!

Deborajen
05-03-2006, 05:02 PM
My husband and I went to Germany in August 2004. We didn't bike there - except for a tour of Munich on cruisers. :) However, cycling is very popular and the bike paths were easy to spot. The entire transportation system, including bike paths, is well set-up and well maintained. The maps we picked up over there for our travels were easy to use and up to date.

Sounds like you're in for a great trip. We went to Bavaria and spent time in the Alps which were beautiful. I'd love to go back sometime.

Enjoy!

Deb

Bron
05-04-2006, 11:41 AM
Well, have a great time!

I live in Germany, so obviously, thatīs where I do my cycling. Iīd say that especially compared with Britain cycling here is great. There are cycle paths in most towns and along busy roads - the only thing to be careful of is that sometimes you share the cycle path with pedestrians.

There is a series of cycling maps covering popular cycling areas, Iīm sitting with the "Bavarian Lakes" one in front of me and it says "ADFC-Regionalkarte 1:75.000" on the top, so thatīs a good thing to look out for if you are planning routes yourself (it includes bike routes, recommended tours and warnings about busy roads).

Have fun,
Bron

GreyJ.J.
05-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Thanks Bron for the info-I know that the TI in Munster has maps for the bike trails-I actually found a site to order them now but I can't speak or read German so I was clueless! Am excited about our trip- I've been to Germany with my husband - didn't bike that time , we rented a car and drove the Romantic Road route and then on to Munich. We had the best time and the food was fabulous!! We did notice lots of bike paths and saw many peaple biking. I read that Munster is the bike capital of Germany and we are planing our own self tour for one day along the 100 schlosser route. My brother has been biking for over 15 years while I have just gotten back to it after 30+ years. Have been doing genealogy so we are going to visit several villages near Munster where our ancesters immigrated from...so I get to combine all my favorite pastimes on this trip !!

FelesRidet
05-05-2006, 07:23 PM
We used to live in the Netherlands -- everybody bikes. Also, everyone had a bell installed on their bikes, which they would ring at pedestrians who were in the way, or at bikes they were passing, or just the for sheer joy. Very fun. sigh.

Barb, USA
05-23-2006, 08:33 AM
I, too, live in Germany - in Frankfurt. I'll echo Bron - the cycling here is great and we're off to Britain next week because it's good there too. You'll be near us , so if you want details about biking here, I'll be glad to give them to you. It would be nice if you could join us on a trip. I just got back from our regular 40k tour on a ridge outside of the city. It's a way dedicated to walkers and cyclists, so there's no traffic - just nature. Nothing could be prettier.