PDA

View Full Version : Injuries at the worst time

btchance
05-03-2006, 08:58 AM
Why do they happen at the worst time possible? I am doing my first triathlon on May 27th, and of course, this weekend I twisted my ankle while running. Before this happened, my body had finally decided to accept this foreign thing called running, and I have finally been able to get up to 5 miles and feeling like I could go some more, instead of 3mi and wanting to die at the end.

Anyways, this weekend about 1.5 mile into a 4 mile run, I rolled my ankle pretty bad, but since it was just a dull ache, I went a head and finished up my run. It started to get a little worse that night, so I took an Aleve, iced it, and wrapped it. Monday morning it was still sore, but by that night it felt fine and has since then. I figured it would be fine to go and bike today, but boy was I wrong. I was going great, making better time than I had in a while and having a relatively easy time with first hills, which were mainly of the short and steep variety where I stand up and sprint over. A little later, on one of the long hills that I spin up, my ankle started to get a little sore. The next hill like that, it was pretty bad. I decided to cut the ride short and headed back, had to go in much lower gears, and even with that, I ended up doing a 3 mile one legged drill at the end. And of course, the ankle that I hurt is the stronger one.

I just had to let out a little frustration here, I just don't have time for this. But I'm taking my bike in for it's tune up today so I can keep myself off it for a few days while I heal. Now I just have to hide the running shoes and keep the swim suit in site.

colby
05-03-2006, 10:46 AM
Right there with ya -- I injured my shoulder snowboarding a couple of months ago and am in physical therapy now (rotator cuff, sigh). At this point, I am banned from biking and swimming (along with lifting anything heavy), and had to ask very nicely to even be able to run :)

My best advice is to take some anti-inflammatories (my mother in law, a nurse, recommends Aleve) for a few days to help it heal, ice it for 10-20 minutes at a time (before bed maybe), and take it easy for a bit. Hopefully you'll be good to go -- or at least better :)

KSH
05-03-2006, 11:14 AM
Well, I did exactly the same thing.

I was 1 week into my 10-week Tri 101 program and rolled my ankle while I was running. That was February.

The first thing I did was go to a doctor and get x-rays. After the Dr. saw me and said I was OK to run, with a brace... I felt better about training.

I ran with an ankle brace for about 3 weeks, and then decided it really wasn't helping that much and started to run without it.

I also biked with the ankle brace on, but unfortunately I couldn't swim with it on... and it HURT to swim for a good 2-3 weeks. My foot flopping around in the water was not good. And, I couldn't push off the wall with that foot.

Yes, I had pain and swelling... and yes, there was some mild discomfort... but I just went on about my business.

The pain has never really gone away... and when I do something like... running drills... the pain flares up again. It is not accute pain, so I just work through it. Mild pain is just... annoying. And let's face it... doing this sport requires some bit of pain tolerance.

I would strongly suggest that you go to a Dr. and MAKE SURE that you didn't SERIOUSLY injure yourself, before you continue training. There is no reason why you should risk permanent and extended injury.

Good luck, keep us updated.

btchance
05-03-2006, 12:11 PM
I am going to take a few days off, and already have the Aleve in me and one session with the ice. I tried to get in to see my doctor after I rolled it, but of course they said they couldn't get me in for over a week. Figures, huh? Maybe I should just walk in and refuse to leave until they see me :D

I'm usually pretty good with pain (I kept training and showing horses through a broken arm and 2 surgeries and a broken foot), and this wasn't bad at all until the second 1/2 of the ride, then it just got to be too much. For some reason, though, walking and running really doesn't bother it, and I thought it would be the opposite. We'll see about swimming tomorrow.

Lifesgreat
05-03-2006, 12:12 PM
I am sorry about your ankle. I hope it makes a speed recovery.

For what it is worth, I understand your frustration. My season's first tri is next week and I have a respiratory infection and probably won't be able to do it. :mad:

btchance
05-03-2006, 03:34 PM
For what it is worth, I understand your frustration. My season's first tri is next week and I have a respiratory infection and probably won't be able to do it. :mad:

I'm so sorry about your infection. Maybe you'll have a miraculous (sp?) recovery and be able to do it.

I'm sure I'll be fine and able to do my tri, it's just frustrating since I have no tests this week, but 2 next week, so I needed to take most of that week off and train hard this one. Oh well, what happens, happens.