PDA

View Full Version : East Bay Bike Path May 13th

PAP103
05-03-2006, 05:54 AM
Let's get together for a ride on the East Bay Bike Path in Rhode Island on May 13th. Its a lovely, flat 30ish miles
Who is interested?

Crankin
05-03-2006, 04:41 PM
That's the one day i can't come. Plus, generally, bike paths are dangerous on weekends, especially, as they are filled with walkers, little kids riding, roller bladers, etc.

Surlygirl
05-04-2006, 03:52 AM
I'd have to agree with Robyn. I usually do the bike paths early on weekday mornings. Yes I am very lucky and fortunate I am able to do that. If you have a free morning I'm available and we might want to find something closer to you. Thats a haul from Gloucester to Providence.

PAP103
05-04-2006, 10:55 AM
I agree about the high usage on the paths during weekends. Although East Bay is not nearly as busy as the Minuteman.

Unfortunately, I can only ride on weekends. The job sometimes gets in the way of my fun!! Maybe we can arrange a weekend morning ride.

Patty

ChainsOflove
05-08-2006, 03:21 PM
Agreed the bike paths are horrible on the weekends.

Robyn: are you on the AMC bike commitee? I think I saw your name in the paper. Is your husband Steve?

Crankin
05-09-2006, 03:09 AM
Yes, I am on the committee (secretary...) and my husband is the treasurer. Are you a member? Coming to the Bike Rally?

I am signed up for MassBike Bicycling 201 class Saturday, in Northampton. It's no cancellation and now it looks like it's going to be pouring out. Of course, part of the class is on riding in the rain, but I am freaked out, since I don't ride in the rain by choice. They take you into downtown Northampton and make you negotiate the crazy traffic there.Hopefully, this ocean storm will not move that far west!

Robyn

DeniseGoldberg
05-09-2006, 04:01 AM
...It's no cancellation and now it looks like it's going to be pouring out. Of course, part of the class is on riding in the rain, but I am freaked out, since I don't ride in the rain by choice.
Riding in the rain is not my favorite either. Hopefully if it rains on your class it won't be a downpour. I have to admit that riding in heavy rain really scares me, mostly from a visibility standpoint. Beyond that, the worst part of a rainy ride (for me, at least) is that it absolutely trashes your bike!

Of course, there was the time that riding in a downpour got me a free upgrade on a hotel room... I was touring in the Pacific Northwest many years ago, and about 15 minutes before I got to the end of my ride the skies just opened up. I was already wearing my rain jacket because it had been threatening for a while. But I was dripping when I walked into the first hotel I saw to check on room availability. The gal at the front desk gave me a room with a kitchen - awesome - at the same price as a regular room. Nice. I had room to clean my poor bike, and I could cook dinner in comfort too.
--- Denise

ChainsOflove
05-09-2006, 06:20 AM
Robyn

I used to be quite active in the AMC, I was on the Membership committee, with Jeannie Blauner, and then Avram Baskin. I haven't been riding with the AMC for a long time, I've been busy getting a second Master's Degree.

Thats almost over so I want to get involved again. I am very grateful to those folks like **** Simmons, Avram and Deb Duncombe who helped me get my start on the bike--when I started I knew NOTHING and had a bike that was totally wrong for me, but they were patient.

I will sign up for the Rally-I've done it before. I did not go last year I think the weather was bad.

Joan

Crankin
05-09-2006, 10:54 AM
I've heard of Avram, but I have not met him. Deb Duncombe is officially leaving the bike committee at the end of the month. I met **** Simmons on my first AMC ride 2 years ago; he took off like a bat out of H*** as the leader, so my husband had to chase him down to tell him there were people who were 1st time riders there. Not a good experience for them. But he calmed down and Steve and I ended up riding with him and 2 others at a normal pace.
The weather at the rally last year was very hot; about 95, but it was fun. We are doing the 50 mile ride (not leading, just riding). Do you know Janine Papesh? She has been active for years and is a very good friend of mine. We actually met at our health club, but when we joined AMC, I started riding with her, since she lives near me. We are doing a trip this summer with her and her husband.

Robyn

ChainsOflove
05-09-2006, 12:48 PM
Robyn
No I don't know Janine, that's nice you found a riding pal. I made some wonderful friends through AMC.

I had opposite experience with Avram; I went on a ride and had a totally wrong bike, I was incredibly slow and he rode the whole thing with me!

You might have gone on the thursday night fast ride with **** Simmons, I know they do easy on tues and faster on thurs, or they used to!

WHy is Deb leaving the committee? I was treasurer of the membership committee and they really wore me out, it was a lot of work. I also did event planning for them. It was alot.

Crankin
05-10-2006, 03:32 AM
Hi Joan,
Deb is leaving because she's been doing it for 16 years... she's in pretty bad physical shape. Truthfully, I can't see her riding. No, the fast ride w/ D. Simmons (i can't believe I can't type his first name here) was on the Spring Activities Day. Yes, the T and Th night rides are still the same. I've never done them, since I am off in the summer, but I am leading one next wk. (the easy one).
Steve has brought the treasury into the 21st century. It's all done on line and he doesn't put up with any cr** from some of the people who are questioning everything. Some of the discussions are really boring and stupid to the point that they surpass the bickering of the women in the sisterhood at my temple, but it has calmed down. I like the social aspect of the rides, as opposed to the competetive aspect in other clubs.

Robyn