PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Salty Snax?

Lise
05-01-2006, 08:44 PM
I am jonesn' for salt, I think. I completely forgot to pick up salty snax at the grocery store, and I'm stuck with sweet stuff at home. All of which I rejected. I ate some string cheese. Slightly salty. Soooooo...what's your favorite salty treat?

If calories and fat were no concern, I'd eat Bugles and Fritos all the time.

I love Payday bars, great salt/sweet combo.

Pretzels are my general low fat stand-in.

You? L.

Popoki_Nui
05-01-2006, 09:40 PM
Oh yeah...Bugles! And Pringles chips! And popcorn with salted butter and extra salt. And smoked salmon. Oh man....
~S.

Popoki_Nui
05-01-2006, 09:46 PM
heh...is a margarita with a salty rim considered a snack? :D

Dianyla
05-01-2006, 09:55 PM
heh...is a margarita with a salty rim considered a snack? :D
It should be. Hey, why isn't there an electrolyte drink flavor of salty margarita? You could sweeten it with agave nectar. :)

Nokomis
05-01-2006, 10:09 PM
I usually stick to low sodium ~ but on a ride I find myself craving Lay's Potato Chips in a bad way.

In general, an evil salty snack would be Gardetto's, particularly the rye crisps... mmmm - msg haven :p /drool

Lise
05-02-2006, 05:04 AM
It should be. Hey, why isn't there an electrolyte drink flavor of salty margarita? You could sweeten it with agave nectar. :)
I would definitely try an alcohol-free margarita-flavored Gatorade! :p

maillotpois
05-02-2006, 06:26 AM
I would definitely try an alcohol-free margarita-flavored Gatorade! :p

Me too. But I would spike it! :D

SadieKate
05-02-2006, 07:10 AM
In general, an evil salty snack would be Gardetto's, particularly the rye crisps... mmmm - msg haven :p /droolDo you know you can get a bag of nothing but the rye crisps? Thanks, for setting off a craving.

uk elephant
05-02-2006, 07:20 AM
oooo Gardettos! I remember those from my college days (in Madison, WI). No sign of them over here though (UK). Maybe I'll have to bring back a couple of bags when I go over to Madison in a couple of weeks. I too am a big fan of the rye crisps....

Eden
05-02-2006, 07:23 AM
MMMMM - if I didn't have to care about the fat Pringles are my fav - but Baked Lays are a reasonable substitute. My healthier alternative that I like a lot are Deep Sea Salt Soy Crisps.

yellow
05-02-2006, 08:06 AM
I usually stick to low sodium ~ but on a ride I find myself craving Lay's Potato Chips in a bad way.

In general, an evil salty snack would be Gardetto's, particularly the rye crisps... mmmm - msg haven :p /drool
Ack! Separated at birth! This is EXACTLY how I would have answered! :p

I have to STAY AWAY from the Lay's or I'll eat every last crumb.

Nokomis
05-02-2006, 08:21 AM
Do you know you can get a bag of nothing but the rye crisps? Thanks, for setting off a craving.

I've heard - but I will not go down that aisle at the grocery store for fear of temptation ;) Sorry about the craving - hope it doesn't do you in :D

Ack! Separated at birth! *hugs Yellow* Nice to meetcha, I'm Red! hehehe

roughingit
05-02-2006, 08:43 AM
I like honey roasted peanuts for salty sweet and cashews and almonds etc for just salty. Protien....salt...come in handy tubes at convience stores...What's not to love? :D

At home I reach for the popcorn...mmmm butter and salt...I like the kettle corn ones too...mmm...hey wait, now I'm hungry!

Tater
05-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Mmmmmm, popocorn! Once in awhile I will indulge and get the Smart Foods White Cheddar popcorn. *Drool* I could eat the whole bag by myself!

Bron
05-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Marmite.
No contest although my husband thinks itīs disgusting.

Bron

DeniseGoldberg
05-02-2006, 10:34 AM
Just plain (salted) peanuts for me - the ones in the cellophane tube that can usually be found in convenience stores. Sometimes I'll switch to other nuts, and if I'm touring in Hawaii my first choice is macademia nuts.

--- Denise

luv'nAustin
05-02-2006, 12:01 PM
I'll take potato chips anyday, anytime. Lay's, Ruffles, Old Dutch...anything but the baked. Evil thread. Gotta run and wipe up the drool! :p

annie
05-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Crunchy Cheetos! Bright orange - not a color in nature - and fried to a crispy crunch. No possible way to make these healthy yet they are so decadently delicious! I do NOT have a sweet tooth - but a salty one, yes! I allow myself cheetos only if I've ridden enough miles in a week to qualify. Gotta be close to 200 miles or I haven't earned the treat. :rolleyes: Anyone going on RAGBRAI this year watch out for Team Chee-toe. (That'll by 3 friends and me - totally self-supported and cheeto powered. :D )

annie

DrBee
05-02-2006, 12:44 PM
I like sunflower seeds. I cheat and get them already shelled. Popcorn is always good. We have a Whirly-pop - makes the best popcorn in the world - then top it with popcorn salt.

I HAVE to have chocolate as a chaser if I eat something salty. Lise - you might like Hershey's Take a5 candy bar. It's pretzel, caramel, peanut buttery stuff all coated in chocolate. They kind of grow on you.

DirtDiva
05-02-2006, 03:09 PM
Vegemite and cheese sandwiches are good, especially toasted. I know some of you might not agree with me on this one, but Road Raven will back me up. :cool:

I'm quite partial to chips (or even rice crackers) and dip.

My very favourite salty snack is barbeque flavoured Arnott's Shapes. :D

Nanci
05-02-2006, 05:03 PM
From my Farrier Science school days- Ruffles and cottage cheese.

From now- Chex Mix, that sweet breakfast mix.

Lise
05-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Lise - you might like Hershey's Take a5 candy bar. It's pretzel, caramel, peanut buttery stuff all coated in chocolate. They kind of grow on you.
Oh, BABY do I love Take5 bars! Last weekend I spend driving from DC to Virginia for my "baby" cousin's wedding (he's 34 :rolleyes: ). My soon-to-be sister-in-law (STBSIL) and my sister and I rode in one car. At a rest stop we were cruising snacks, modestly and prudently buying animal crackers. Then my sister spotted a Take5 bar. Our STBSIL had never tried it. We bought one and split it three ways. STBSIL got the last bite because we both like her so much. They are FABulous. Only way to improve on it would be to make the chocolate daaaark! :p

DrBee
05-03-2006, 05:32 AM
Oh, BABY do I love Take5 bars! Last weekend I spend driving from DC to Virginia for my "baby" cousin's wedding (he's 34 :rolleyes: ). My soon-to-be sister-in-law (STBSIL) and my sister and I rode in one car. At a rest stop we were cruising snacks, modestly and prudently buying animal crackers. Then my sister spotted a Take5 bar. Our STBSIL had never tried it. We bought one and split it three ways. STBSIL got the last bite because we both like her so much. They are FABulous. Only way to improve on it would be to make the chocolate daaaark! :p

Ooh yummy - dark chocolate. I bought a bag of the snack size Take5's for my candy jar at work. Yes, I have a candy jar - I'm bad. Anyhoo - I hesitate to say it, but the contents of the bag never made it to the candy jar. Over the last month, I've been eating them. I somehow feel less guilty because there's a pretzel in there. :o :D

Glad to hear you like your STBSIL

Kimmyt
05-03-2006, 08:51 AM
I am such a salt-craver. So much that it's a problem. But I've recently discovered something thanks to a coworker... did you know that rice cakes are now not only EDIBLE but incredibly TASTY??

Man, I couldn't believe it! But Quaker makes these little mini-rice cakes that come in all kinds of flavor like white chedder, caramel corn, and they are sooooo good! I'm sure they're not as healthy as the old styrofoam-esque rice cakes, but they're better for me than potato chips, or at least thats what it feels like as I'm chowing down on them!

Nanci
05-03-2006, 12:35 PM
You have to try GeniSoy Soy Crisps Cheddar. One serving of 17 crisps is only 100 calories!! (the size of mini rice cakes, very similar) They have 14 grams of carbs and _7_ grams of protein!! 2 grams of fat. 2 grams of fiber.

They are _really_ good.

Nanci

salsabike
05-03-2006, 02:40 PM
Munchos, which are quasi-potato chips, I believe baked, but FULL of salt. I have been known to salt potato chips, by the way. I would be best served by simply having a salt lick in the backyard, I think.

Lise
05-03-2006, 03:26 PM
I would be best served by simply having a salt lick in the backyard, I think.
Seriously. But those deer can be kind of territorial. And they have hooves. :eek: L.

DrBee
05-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Maybe you could get a pretty chunk of salt and use it as a decoration on your coffee table. You could just bite a chunk off when you get the desire...:p

KnottedYet
05-03-2006, 05:39 PM
Trader Joe's Chili Powdered dried mango. There's just enough salt in the chili powder....mmmmmm.

Pedal Wench
05-03-2006, 06:03 PM
Cheesy/peanut butter cracker thingys. Come in a six pack. Funky orange color. When I'm sick of all the sweet gu's and powerbars, these are the only things I can stomach.

Trekhawk
05-03-2006, 08:19 PM
Vegemite and cheese sandwiches are good, especially toasted. I know some of you might not agree with me on this one, but Road Raven will back me up. :cool:

I'm quite partial to chips (or even rice crackers) and dip.

My very favourite salty snack is barbeque flavoured Arnott's Shapes. :D

Ill back you up - I love toasted Vegemite and cheese sandwiches they rock.
I also like Arnott's shapes. Guess I know whose cupboard to raid if I visit the UK and have the munchies.:D

Lise
05-04-2006, 10:10 AM
OK, inspired by you all, I got me some salty snax at the LGS.

Pretzels: the old standby. Always good. I love to dip them in plain yogurt. Salt + sour + protein. Yum.

Eatsmart Zesty Ranch Baked Potato Crisps: Blech. Not zesty at all. Potato? Really? Not salty enough. Worth a try, but I don't recommend them.

Genisoy Soy Crisps: I got three kinds--salt, cheese, BBQ. I've tried the cheese & BBQ. Kind of sweet for my taste, but they'll do. I hope I like the salt ones best.

I should've gotten some low-fat Pringles. Those are good. What I really want, of course, is the high fat corn chips in all of their varieties. But I also don't want anyone to yell "FREE WILLY!" when I come out of the water at my next triathlon...:eek: :rolleyes:

Sometime I've got to try vegemite. My favorite toasted cheese is sharp cheddar with dijon mustard and tomato slices. YUM!

That's the salty snax update for today. :D L.

DrBee
05-04-2006, 10:22 AM
I'm sitting here at my desk looking at the last Take 5 bar. I think I'm going to eat it in honor of you Lise. :p

Lise
05-04-2006, 02:12 PM
I'm sitting here at my desk looking at the last Take 5 bar. I think I'm going to eat it in honor of you Lise. :p
Snack size Take 5 bars. I almost wish I didn't know they existed. ;) Enjoy!

PS--now I know I am sodium depleted. I went out for a hard-pushing 13 mile ride this afternoon. Got up to 26 mph on a Chicago street for about 2 blocks! But must stop frequently at intersections. I brought a bottle of Gatorade Endurance--like many of you, I got 21 coupons for free bottles, and I will use all of them!--and another bottle of water. I sucked down that salty, sweetish Gatorade like it was nectar. Used the water to wash my mouth out afterwards. That salt tasted so good. Can't say why I'd be low on salt, but my feet have been cramping lately, so maybe this will help.

And now...off to volleyball! (When did I turn into such a jock?) :) L.

Nanci
05-04-2006, 07:10 PM
I managed to avoid my usual two bowlsful of Snyders Pretzel Bites tonight (only because, unfortunately, we had run out) and of that, I am proud. For my drive to Chattanooga tomorrow, I have a supply of Cheezits and Goldfish. Plus Tab energy drink, (untried) and Coca Cola Blak, formerly hated, now addicted to. I think I like caffeine almost as much as salt.

Nanci

Lise
05-04-2006, 07:41 PM
We need a little "heart" emoticon. As in: I "heart" salt. I "heart" caffeine.

BTW, how on earth did Tab turn back up as an "energy drink"?!? Does it taste like old Tab, you know, kind of poisonous and metalic? Wild.

winddance
05-04-2006, 08:46 PM
I looove salt. Rold Gold pretzel rods are a favorite standby of mine, but what I've really been craving lately are Chili Cheese Fritos.

I'm not sure that "Tab" as an energy drink is any weirder than a Payday as an "energy bar". I saw those the other day at the store and it kind of weirded me out...

Brandi
05-06-2006, 04:34 PM
Chex mix carmel. It is salty and sweet. They also have a salty sweet chex mix.

KnottedYet
05-06-2006, 06:42 PM
Jalapeno stuffed green olives. Mmmmmmm, baby!

DirtDiva
05-07-2006, 02:00 AM
Ill back you up - I love toasted Vegemite and cheese sandwiches they rock.
I also like Arnott's shapes. Guess I know whose cupboard to raid if I visit the UK and have the munchies.:D
I have plenty of Vegemite, so the toasties we can arrange. The Arnott's Shapes, however, require a special trip to the Kiwi/Aussie/Saffa shop. That reminds me... I forgot to mention Twisties (kinda like cheezits, but better), Rashuns (same sort of thing, but cheese and bacon flavour) and Burger Rings (defy explanation ;)).

oldbikah
05-07-2006, 04:49 PM
sesame bites from the health foods store--yum, yum--but mostly I prefer sweet rather than salty. But Paydays are great--secret craving since childhood. Are they on weight watchers??? Oh, well!

Lise
05-07-2006, 05:41 PM
Oh, yeah, those sesame sticks. I could eat those by the pound. They are about as fatty as Fritos, though! But seeeeeds, that's healthy, right? And for sweet treats, I love that sesame/honey candy. :D L.

Trekhawk
05-07-2006, 08:36 PM
I have plenty of Vegemite, so the toasties we can arrange. The Arnott's Shapes, however, require a special trip to the Kiwi/Aussie/Saffa shop. That reminds me... I forgot to mention Twisties (kinda like cheezits, but better), Rashuns (same sort of thing, but cheese and bacon flavour) and Burger Rings (defy explanation ;)).

Mmmm love Cheese Twisties. Ok Im really hungry now.:)

Nanci
05-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Tab Energy Drink doesn't appear to have anything to do with Cola. But the pink can is very pretty. It's sort of soury fruity. Not going to buy again.

Popoki_Nui
05-10-2006, 03:59 PM
...Twiglets!! :D I popped into my favourite butcher shop; the wonderful Scottish owners bring in all sorts of yummy things from the UK, including Twiglets. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure, Twiglets are like a sort of pretzel stick but made of whole wheat and baked with, or dipped in?) something similar to Marmite, that most delectable yeasty salty goo. :)
Crunchy, salty, tangy....hoo boy!

~Sherry.

eofelis
05-19-2006, 12:27 PM
Mmmmmm, popocorn! Once in awhile I will indulge and get the Smart Foods White Cheddar popcorn. *Drool* I could eat the whole bag by myself!

It's been a while since I've had Smartfood. I'll have to get me some.:)

I like Baked Lays potato chips A LOT!