PDA

View Full Version : Taper??

JoyfullySo
05-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Hey there everyone!!!

Before I post my newbie question, just wanted to say thanks for all inspiration! Often times, when I am running, I think of y'all- it really gets me through. May the upcoming week be great for you all!

Here is my question:

I am doing a sprint on Mother's Day (Yeah!!!) The distance is 400m swim
9 mile bike 2 mile run.

How much should I taper? Do I do it at all?? Of course, I am getting nervous and really trying to make sure my distances are good. This is my first tri, so I have focused on just building my endurance base, with a smidge of speed work ( did I say a teeny smidge?) So, how much recovery time do I need before the race?

Waiting anxiously for your wisdom and humor.....:D

Running Mommy
05-01-2006, 12:15 PM
With a sprint I'd say just take the day before off, and maybe a light run or ride two days before. IMO you really don't need much of a taper for the shorter events. Just make sure you eat really well, and I see your in GA, so be sure to drink a bit more gatorade in the days leading up to the race. Thats just to top off the electrolytes you'll need in the heat. Hydration is key in all events- no matter the length!
And ENJOY!!! Are you a mom? If so, what a great present to give to yourself!
Kick some butt and let us know how ya did!!
denise

KSH
05-01-2006, 01:01 PM
Yep. What Iron-Mommy said... with short events you really don't need to taper that much.

I know for my last event... I did a ride (22 miles)/run (1 mile)/swim (800 yards) combo on Wednesday... took Thursday and Friday off, and raced on Saturday. It was fine.

In fact, for me... if I take too much time off... it hurts more when I start working out again. So, tapers are bad for me. 2 days off before the event, is enough for me.

You will do great! Best of luck!

JoyfullySo
05-01-2006, 06:47 PM
Yes, I am a Mom.... three kiddos so far. We are trying to decide about having a fourth. The race is the Danskin tri in Orlando, the land of the Mouse. Our bedtime story tonight was the Birnbaum guide to WDW. What a hoot..

Two days off will probably work well because of the drive to Orlando, doing a few of the parks, etc. BTW, Anthony Travel was in charge of all the hotel details and discount tickets to the park. They did a great job!!

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, and the encouragement. I am making sure that I drink plenty of H2O during the day. I keep getting coupons for free gatorade Endurance formula, but can't find it in the store. Hopefully, I will find some between here and Mouseville...

I am just as excited about taking my 10 year old daughter to meet Sally Edwards as I am about the race. I want her to see all the awesome women and what they can do!!! Girls really do rock!!!

Lise
05-01-2006, 07:51 PM
Have a great time! I agree with the others about not fretting about tapering. It'll be over pretty fast.

My sister, her DH, and their 6 & 2 year olds went to Mouseland a month or two ago. This weekend, the subject of the "It's A Small World" ride came up (why :confused: ). Anyhoo, my sister informed us that my nephew, who's been reading on his own since he was 4, had refused to go on the ride because he had read in a guide book that the song would get stuck in his head. ... he's right. I went on that ride 31 years ago, and I still can't get the song out of my head! :p

Have a blast. Looking forward to the stories! Lise

JoyfullySo
05-02-2006, 08:04 AM
Many moons ago, when my Hubby and I were first engaged, we went to Mouseland.

I will never forget hopping in the boat for the "Its a Small World"

I am sitting there, looking around and singing, and my honey says, "Shhhh, listen..."

We had gotten a boat that was almost all kids, and we could hear all the little voices singing the song. That's when I knew that I was going to marry the right guy for sure...

DirtDiva
05-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Heh. I went on that ride when I was two and point blank refused to get off. They had to let me go aound again. :p