PDA

View Full Version : Touchup paint for steel frame?

moo bean
05-01-2006, 03:17 AM
My new baby has received her first injury: I didn't properly tighten the quick release on the rear wheel after fixing a flat, and the wheel slipped forward in the dropouts while I was at traffic lights. No injury to me, but I've taken a chunk of paint off the corner of the dropout.

Now if I'm correct, steel is inclined to rust, and exposed steel on an otherwise-painted frame will start to rust first. I'm supposing, therefore, that leaving this patch of naked metal is a bad thing.

Do they make touchup paint for bikes? Should I just go get myself some of the white touchup paint they use for touching up whitegoods (it's a pearl-painted frame)? Is this not worth worrying about?

stella
05-01-2006, 05:21 AM
yes, they do make touch up paint for bikes. I do not know what type you ride but specialized makes some as does bianchi. It comes in little bottles, much like finger nail polish.

when the paint chipped on my road bike, I first used a very tiny amount of auto anti rust (I spray paint this on a sheet of paper and use a small brush to paint it on my frame) and then put the paint on. I don't ride a specialized but I've used their paint--it is very close in color.

On my old mtn bike, I was told by a bike mechanic to just use nail polish...it was the same color as my ride and that has worked fine for 10+years.

either method does not look as smooth up close, but it protects my frame.
if the mark is really bad, you could check into getting your bike repainted by a local frame builder.

Check w/your lbs...if no luck, check with bike manufacturer.

I hope this helps

snapdragen
05-01-2006, 07:01 AM
Or go to a hobby store - Testor's model paint comes in tons of colors.

Aint Doody
05-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Or go to a place that has car paint. We have a Baxter Auto Parts place that matched mine perfectly. Take your bike with you.

greenmachine
05-02-2006, 02:33 AM
Or go to a hobby store - Testor's model paint comes in tons of colors.

Thanks! Great idea, I need some touchup paint also. Mine is hard to match.

CorsairMac
05-02-2006, 09:58 AM
or move out here to the Southwest - nothing rusts out here but the old folks!