PDA

View Full Version : professional fitting

Grasshopper
08-14-2003, 04:39 AM
I had a professional fitting done yesterday to see if they could help me fix the saddle/back problem I was having.

I HIGHLY recommend having a pro fit done if you are having any problems with your position at all!!! I'd been fitted twice by my LBS but was till having the problems. This guy changed everything about my bike and I do mean everything. The tires are still the same but seat aft, and incline are changed, cleat position, stem is shorter and flat, handlebars are angled flat now, and I could keep going.......I was SHOCKED at how much more fluidly the bike moved - and I moved on it!!! I can look behind me, take one hand off the handle bars, sit up without real effort, and most of all my back and girlie parts aren't hurting anymore!! And he spent time to explain all of the angles that your body is suppose to achieve - so it all makes sense to me now.

It took 1 1/2 hours and was some of the best time I've ever spent!! I highly recommend it!!!!! This is the most excited I've been since I bought my bike!!!! Just wanted to share :)

emily_in_nc
08-14-2003, 09:07 AM
Grasshopper, I see that you are in NC also! Where did you get this fitting done and how much did it cost?

That's wonderful that it helped so much... :-)

Thanks!
Emily

Grasshopper
08-14-2003, 09:56 AM
In Cary NC at Cycling spoken here - it cost me $65.00 but it was completely worth it!!!

emily_in_nc
08-15-2003, 11:23 AM
Thanks, Grasshopper!

adkoch
08-17-2003, 11:48 AM
I am really surprised about the lower stem! My LBS guy has convinced me that to get rid of the pain on my pubic bone, I have to get a stem that will raise the handlebars higher. If your 'fleshy feminine parts' hurt, perhaps we do not share the same pain, but do you recall what the pro said about the stem, in relation to it all? TIA!!!

Angie

Grasshopper
08-17-2003, 05:15 PM
He actually changed a lot of things that overall change the way I was sitting on the bike. He lowered the seat, tilted it upwards, moved it to a completely nuetral position, moved my cleats, and got a shorter stem with no angle at all. (this made the "stretch" of my body and arms less, and made it easier to hold the correct seated position) I was having to reach too far out, so I was raising the stem up to compensate. And I wasn't even close to the correct position! (I was rolling my body forwards onto my pelvic bone, rather than sitting in a "squatlike position")

All I know is that I've ridden 30 miles since he moved it and other than some serious rubbing from new shorts and now "glide" between them and me I'm fine!! Overall I have more power but I can tell I'm using all the muscles in my upper legs now instead of just my quads.

He did say that cycling is an art of angles and that if even one is off it will show up all over your body in wierd ways.

My BF was so sold on the fitting that he's thinking of going to see the guy and he races regularly with another shop's team.

hibiscus09
08-19-2003, 03:37 PM
I'm going to call the LBS tomorrow about this Grasshopper. I think I need a fitting -- this neck pain is getting on my nerves. :)

Grasshopper
08-19-2003, 06:49 PM
I thought about you tonight - I rode 23 miles. That's still long for me. The last part of the ride is on a busy, bumpy hilly road. By the end of it my neck and left shoulder were really hurting me. But that always happens to me if I'm stressed or tense. I'm pretty sure mine is holding my body so tightly but I still highly recommend the pro fit!!! It's the best thing I did on two wheels. BF is setting his up soon - and he rides with the cat 1 riders.

At least then you'll know quickly if it's the bike fit or a medical thing.

hibiscus09
08-19-2003, 06:59 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think it's me tensing up. I don't know why. I used to ride my bike with no hands as a teenager. Funny how things change. I'm going to learn to ease up on this bike! :)

Thanks for thinking about me! We'll become experts together! LOL

bsoder
08-27-2003, 12:28 PM
Emily,

I've just read this post and want to let you know that Paceline Bikes in Winston-Salem does the professional fit also. I think their base charge is $75. Being in Efland, I'm not sure which way is closer for you.

My husband had his appointment last week. He has a problem with carpal tunnel to the point that we have sometimes had to shorten our rides. He has always had a problem keeping up with me and now I'm struggling to keep up with him. I can't believe the difference it has made in his ride. His seat height and position were changed, the stem was raised, double tape added to the handle bars, and so many seemingly small tweaks were made, but it sure has increased his power.

I have an appointment this week. Can't let him get ahead of me, now can I?

;)

emily_in_nc
08-27-2003, 12:55 PM
bsoder, thanks for the tip on Paceline Bicycles. I have been wanting
to take a trip out there sometime anyway as they are an Aegis dealer,
and I want to talk to them about an Aegis Swift (someday - next year
sometime). I sent them an email with a couple of questions, but never
got a reply, and that sorta put me off of them, but I will probably give
them a second chance. ;)

I do wonder if a professional fitting might help me on my bike as I have
been having some lower back pain recently as I've been increasing
my speed and pushing a bit harder on rides. I already have my stem
up even with my seat, so it seems high enough, and I don't think
I am too stretched out (still have some bend in the elbows), but it would
be nice to get a professional opinion!

Emily

bsoder
08-27-2003, 01:11 PM
Emily,

I'm sorry you haven't received a reply from your questions to Paceline. We did not experience this treatment there at all. In fact we spent an hour with one of the managers talking us out of buying a new bike for my husband until we had tried a fit session. We went there after a co-worker told me they could make a bike that exactly fit you. We found them to be very helpful and very interested in educating us.

We live two miles from Cycles de Oro, which has great gear and great people, but they don't seem to have an interest in answering questions and educating us older, less savvy riders.

I'll let you know after my fit on Friday about the experience. But my husband's experience was all positive and as stated before, his power and riding comfort have really increased.

Give them another chance. They may not be checking their email as frequently as they should.

coolbeansbikes
08-28-2003, 11:45 AM
Chris is the fit guy at Paceline - he is WONDERFUL!!! Can't tell how much his fit session helped me out ... to the tune of being able to do week-long tours that I never thought would be possible ...