PDA

View Full Version : hello?

gnarwhal
04-30-2006, 12:58 PM
Hi i'm new to cycling and the forum...not sure what to say really.

I've decided i need something fun and something to get me fit, i'm a bit out of shape really and not pleased about it. I have a 3 year old and i'm a full time mum and part time University student so i don't have a lot of time to work out or anything like that. I really enjoyed cycling when i was young and used my bike to get about (to school, work and on a paper round) and i can't drive so i thought getting a bike would be perfect.
I bought myself a hybrid bike because i plan to use it mostly in town - it's a Carrera Subway 1.

I've not riden much in about 4 or 5 years so i'm out of shape and my legs are all wobbly - any recommendations for how much/far i should start cycling.

thanks.

k.

Melody
04-30-2006, 01:02 PM
I've not riden much in about 4 or 5 years so i'm out of shape and my legs are all wobbly - any recommendations for how much/far i should start cycling.

Hi gnarwal. :) Welcome to the forums. Drop on by the Getting to Know You (http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=2001) thread and say hi :)

As to how far and how much you should start doing, listen to your body. Even if you only do a mile or two initially the important thing is you're getting out and cycling. :) Distance and speed come with time. :)

Good luck with getting back to cycling and welcome!

Mel

gnarwhal
04-30-2006, 01:08 PM
Thanks Melody.

yeah i've got an essay due this week so i was going to wait til next week before starting properly but i plan to ride every day for about a half hour to start.

heading on over to the introduce myself forum :D

Melody
04-30-2006, 01:16 PM
30 minutes to start is great. I think the first time I got on the bike I lasted maybe 15 when I asked my husband if he minded if I went home because I was exhausted. heh. :)

Good luck! :)

Mel

fatbottomedgurl
04-30-2006, 06:49 PM
Welcome. I'm new too. I mtb'ed for a few years around the turn of the century (doesn't that make me sound...OLD?), but have been off the bike since then. I started again up on March 18, and my last ride was 22 miles. And felt great!!! I learned something VERY important- make sure your tires are inflated properly!!!

I am a mom of three- my youngest is 11 though. I work (self-employed) and am working on my B.A. slowly but surely. Hooray finals are in two weeks!!!

I feel so much stronger, have lost a couple inches on my waist and hips too. (Haven't lost weight but I'm sure we're trading fat for muscle. Oh please o please.) And my thighs...oh well.

Being a mommy to young kids is how I got out of shape in the first place, so you are not the only one who finds it hard to do it all. Be encouraged to do what you can, and you will be a better mommy for taking care of yourself.

gnarwhal
05-01-2006, 01:56 AM
Thanks fatbottomedgurl (you make the rockin world go round ;) ) yeah it's hard trying to keep in shape and be a mum, i just know if i had more than one child i'd be a big giant blob!!! It's simply because my 3 year old is so active that i'm not more out of shape than i am. I snowboard too but that's quite difficult to find time for and to get to destinations for, so i decided to start riding.

Last essay for this year due on Friday and then an exam in a couple of weeks, i''m going mad here because my essay's pure drivel! I'm sure surfing about bike sites it helping it immensely:rolleyes: oh yes :D

k.

CorsairMac
05-01-2006, 11:27 AM
Welcome. I'm new too. I mtb'ed for a few years around the turn of the century (doesn't that make me sound...OLD?), but have been off the bike since then..........

did they even HAVE mountains waaaay back then??....

Holy Smokes - did I just TYPE that outloud??!! :p :p :D

EvilTwin
05-01-2006, 11:36 AM
Al these stories could be me... Haven't ridden in years, go through a major life change last year (lost 250 lbs) the kids are all moved out and the new BF is an avid rider. So I decide to join the fun! We're signed up to ride BikeIdaho in August.... anyone else from TE going to be there??? I've never, ever done anything like this before, so training is all new to me. Some days I feel like I'll never be in shape for the ride, and other days I'm as strong as Kink Kong. Go figure! Anyway, I'm thrilled to have found this forum, as I've been lurking for awhile, getting great advice. Thanks to you all who have helped so far! Barb.

snapdragen
05-01-2006, 12:01 PM
Hey EvilTwin and gnarwhal - welcome!

Evil - I'm speculating on "guy in a chick suit". 'splain?:D

Bike Goddess
05-01-2006, 12:11 PM
EvilTwin- Check over in the threads on this forum that deal with regions. Someone has started a thread re Idaho ride.

AND welcome, both of you to this wonderful site!:D :D :D :D

slinkedog
05-01-2006, 01:38 PM
gnarwhal and eviltwin! I hope we all get to know you well.

I am a mom of four and just started cycling last year or so. I really love it. It has taken me a long time to build some confidence riding on the road, but I really enjoy my time on the bike. Here's wishing you many happy miles!