PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Thread on Wetsuits

colby
04-29-2006, 08:31 AM
I didn't want to drag myself into anyone else's wetsuits thread, though I promise I did read them ;)

I'm starting out from the beginning on this one, and all of the information is swirling around in my head. I was a competitive swimmer for a long time, but that involves "you wear this swimsuit and cap, what size please?" and not much choice. For pool swimming (and warmer water lake swimming, and kayaking) I wear a normal ol' speedo, but I would like to start lake swimming early this year (well, now). Living by a lake, I figure I might as well take advantage :cool:

The lake-o-meter says the lake is currently 51 degrees, and will warm up quite a bit over the next couple of months (I imagine into the 70s by August), but I am impatient. I am fairly tolerable of temperature, but I'm honestly probably too tolerable for my own good and I'd rather do something better for my body. So... I want to swim in a wetsuit, but if possible I would like to get used to it so I could use it for training AND racing.

I've scanned a lot of information, I just don't know how to turn it into a purchase. Is there some kind of different rating for different water temperatures, or is it just the obvious (more fabric = more warmth)? Will I get too hot if I get a full suit and then end up wearing it into warmer water temperatures? Would I be better off getting something more like a short suit and ditching the transition time of having to take it off? Will I be too cold if I have a shorter suit and start in the water now?

I don't want to waste money, but I'm willing to spend reasonable $ to have something worthwhile (money's not the issue, but wasting it is ;)). I'm concerned about wearing a full wetsuit, especially for racing, mostly for the "I don't want to have to take the stupid thing off" factor -- I wear a 1-piece compression suit for cold weather running/biking/skiing and it's bad enough to take off when I'm sweaty, I'm not sure I want the joy of removing it soaked.

The local shop (http://www.americanwave.com) I bought my polypro compression suit from (which is great, though not so much for biking because of the crotch zipper) has several wetsuits, which seem to be rated in thickness, but I don't know how that compares to anything else. I also see women-specific and not women-specific (unisex) things everywhere, am I really in for trying on wetsuits to find out which is better, or are there some criteria I can use to say which would be better?

Help me Team Estrogen Forums, you're my only hope! :confused: :D

bluedress
05-08-2006, 08:55 AM
About what water temperature (upper limit) would you want to wear a neoprene swim cap (http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=20135) in? I want to be as warm as possible without looking like a wimp--as we triathletes are supposed to be tough! :cool:

vicvroom
05-08-2006, 09:00 PM
I've never seen a tri wetsuit rated in millimeters. I have seen it for surfing wetsuits.

Tri wetsuits are made for swimming and the thickness varies (thinner in places that allow for more movement when you're swimming.) Does your local shop have any wetsuits made for tris?

I have an Ironman wetsuit (which is now Blue Seventy). Other companies that make tri wetsuits are Quintana Roo, T1, Orca, Zoot.

Mine is a sleeveless, so it's a little easier to get off, and I've worn it in temps down to the mid 50's, but I"m pretty tolerant of cold.

colby
05-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Tri wetsuits are made for swimming and the thickness varies (thinner in places that allow for more movement when you're swimming.) Does your local shop have any wetsuits made for tris?

Nope, more for surfing, wakeboarding, the traditional stuff. I haven't even seen a tri suit in person, except people wearing them as they went by ;)

I have an Ironman wetsuit (which is now Blue Seventy). Other companies that make tri wetsuits are Quintana Roo, T1, Orca, Zoot.

Mine is a sleeveless, so it's a little easier to get off, and I've worn it in temps down to the mid 50's, but I"m pretty tolerant of cold.

Even sleeveless you don't have trouble that cold? Neat. I like the sleeveless feel, open arms and all. I've never swam with long sleeves and am a little afraid of the restricted movement. I'm also a little afraid of peeling off a wetsuit -- just sweating in my compression suit made it totally awful to remove.

I like the idea of the tri suit, sleeveless with shorts, but I'm afraid it won't be warm enough to swim in for a while, and I'd rather start as soon as I can. Water temp today is 53 degrees, but because of my rotator cuff injury/physical therapy, I may not be able to properly swim for another 2-3 weeks (I am thinking of doing kicking drills, just to get in the water).

Thanks for your help -- I'll visit some of the manufacturers' sites and see what's out there.

Susan Otcenas
05-10-2006, 03:52 PM
Tri-specific wetsuits are quite different from those made for other sports.

Tri-wetsuits are made for swimming. Thus, they are super stretchy in the arm and shoulder area. The idea is to improve flexibility and reach, and to eliminate or reduce shoulder fatigue.

Other sports do not have the range-of-motion demands of swimming, and therefore are never truly stretchy enough in the shoulder area. (Stiffer neoprenes mean tired shoulders. I've also read that women tend to have faster arm turnover than men, so it's even more important for women.) This stiffer, less expensive neoprene saves alot of money for the manufacturers and is one of the big cost factors in why tri wetsuits tend to be very expensive relative to your average boogie boarding suit.

Tri wetsuits should NEVER be used for anything other than swimming. The neoprenes are not made to be rubbing up against things like scuba tanks, kayaks, etc. One inappropriate outing with a tri wetsuit can destroy it.

Tri wetsuits are multi-paneled, with varying widths (measured in millimeters, typically 1.5 to 5mm) depending upon placements (affects bouyancy) and how much stretch is required in a particular area.

If you are busty or hippy (or short), go for a women's suit. More appropriately shaped in the butt, waist & bust, and with more appropriate torso lengths. Many people feel claustrophobic in wetsuits - having one that fits right will help reduce this feeling.

Full vs longjohn (or shorties): You will swim faster in a full suit. If you care about this, buy the full.

Hope this helps!

colby
05-10-2006, 05:44 PM
Wow Susan, good info. You rock.

Full vs longjohn (or shorties): You will swim faster in a full suit. If you care about this, buy the full.

I assume by full, you mean full length legs and arms? Or just full length legs, regardless of arms? (I need to do more research -- I do like the sound of shoulder support)

I admit, I'm a little concerned about changing out of a wetsuit, but I do intend to do triathlons for a while which may make the full wetsuit really earn its keep. Plus, it eliminates the whole cold water thing. I have a lot of temperature tolerance, but I want to do what's right for my body.

Super stupid question: in a triathlon, do you wear anything UNDER the wetsuit, or do you really have to go into a changing area after the swim? With a tri suit, you'd avoid the changing time, but I'm really not competing to win, I'm "competing" for myself -- and, I would like to build up to the grandmommy of all triathlons someday, which really seems like wetsuit territory anyway.

I really appreciate the advice about the "feminine" style. I definitely have "womanly" parts that would probably not appreciate being squished into a "manly" style ;) How do I even approach sizing? Should I find someplace that I can try anything on and see how it fits, or will that even apply to different manufacturers? Womens clothes vary SO much in their sizing that I'm afraid to make such a major purchase and have it NOT fit or be comfortable (don't get me started on unisex sizing).

Thanks everyone for your help. It is satiating my thirst for input!

Susan Otcenas
05-11-2006, 07:24 AM
By "full" I mean long arms and legs, as opposed to a "long john", which has no sleeves. You will swim faster in a fullsuit.

Wetsuits aren't that hard to get off. Most have a long zipper leash to make unzipping fast. Basically, just turn the suit inside out as it comes off. You can set it right when the event is over.

Wear your tri suit under the wetsuit. You shouldn't need to change clothes in a tri. Just strip off your wetsuit, pull on your shoes & helmet, and hop on your bike. Your clothing will be wet, but will dry quickly in the breeze.

Hope this helps!

Susan

colby
05-11-2006, 08:56 AM
Thanks again for answering my (albeit occasionally silly) questions. :)