PDA

View Full Version : The Jett by Specialized

rebekah
04-28-2006, 07:50 PM
Have been through many saddles and many rides where after about 35-40 miles just wanted to scream in pain b/c my "v" hurt so bad! Am very small - have a narrow space between my sit bones - finally found the "magical seat" for me where I can ride 100 miles without pain.

The Jett by Specialized -- comes in 3 or 4 different sizes - get sized . . . you can sit on a special gel pad that conforms to your sit bones so they can measure for the correct size. All other saddles were way too wide for me and just didn't have the right contour in the right place. It's amazing how much longer and better I can ride -- no more squirming and raising up to get comfort. :) Now I can have sex after riding and not have to wait a day or two for swelling to diminish!! (yes, it was THAT bad!)

Aint Doody
05-01-2006, 04:48 PM
I have one of these, too. One time it's OK; next time I get the soft tissue pain. The jury is still out here. I'm going to switch it out and try something else...

Pedal Wench
05-01-2006, 05:37 PM
I've been using one for a few months now. So far, so good, but I still haven't done anything over 70 miles on it. I have done back to back 50 miles, but nothing much more. We'll have to see. I used the Specialized Avatar Gel, which I LOVED, but it was a bit heavy. If it were lighter, that would still be my saddle of choice.

Starfish
05-10-2006, 06:33 PM
I've been using a cheaper Specialized MB saddle...can't remember the name. It was only about 35 bucks, but has their "body geometry" stuff, the V at the back, the channel. It looks kinda funny (embroidered and definitely not RoadChic). But, I've been on it a year now, including centuries, and so far so good--no numbness, no sores. Feels stiff enough that I can sort of perch on it for climbing, etc. Finally found it after trying a couple Terry and Serfas models.

caligurl
05-11-2006, 07:07 AM
that just goes to show that everyone's bottom react differently... i SO wanted to like the jett... it came on my ruby... and i rode it and rode it.. even rode a century on it... WORST century (painwise) of my life! for the first time since i have been doing centuries.. i couldn't go out and ride a recovery ride the next day!

i also tried the avatar (like the jet but with a bit of gel)... same thing... not comfortable at all!

i ended up going back to the dolce saddle!

i'm glad you were able to find a saddle that your bottom likes!!!!!!

Mags...
06-27-2006, 05:50 AM
Hi rebekah,
I'm thinking of buying the Jett saddle. I was wondering which size you bought and what size your sit-bone measurement was when you were measured. Doing the self measurement it looks like I'm 5" (about 130mm). I noticed you said you were small (I'm 5'2" tall and I think from checking out some of these ladies sit-bone measurements that I look to be a bit smaller sit-bone as well.) I was thinking that the 143mm width saddle would be appropriate, but am not sure how many mm's I should add to my sit-bone measure to be sure. I don't want to go too big because I'd be concerned that the largest size might be too wide in the nose area. Thanks.

aicabsolut
10-04-2006, 07:17 AM
I've currently got the men's version of this saddle on my bike, and well, not so comfy. Not really any soft tissue pain, but it hurts on my pubic bones, farther forward than usual saddle pain (i.e., not on the sit-bones). It's a 143mm, but when I got measured, it was a toss up between this and the bigger size, so I decided to just stick with this saddle and see what happens.

How much different is the women's saddle really? It's so expensive, and they look kinda similar.

I'm pretty tough in 'that area' because of all the time I've spent in English saddles (some of them very hard and flat--one, my trainer called the wooden maxipad)

I was never in love with this saddle, but I didn't want to spend the $$ on a different one until this weekend. First back to back rides of some distance, including some rough terrain (bridges, tree root bumps), and it was hard to sit down at first at the start of day two. No way I'd ever make it through a century. Ever.

Think my problem is the cushioning? Proportion (men's vs women's) or should I go up a size too?

spokewench
10-04-2006, 07:29 AM
I've been looking at the Jett because it is fairly light and also looked like it might be comfortable - My favorite Avocet O2 has been discontinued and I just don't know what to do. I do not like to put a heavy saddle on my bike, but hardly any women's saddle makers make a light weight racing saddle that is fairly comfortable.

Any suggestions out there for light weight - comfy? saddles?

tab123
10-04-2006, 04:29 PM
I have been really happy with the Selle San Marco Aspide Glamour (either the standard or racing gel for longer rides). While a bit wide, there is no real chafing. And for once no horrid soft tissue pain (which I have had with every saddle from a Fizik Alliante to a Brooks 17). The saddle uses a groove instead of cut-out so it avoids those nasty gashes from the cut-outs.

I rode the racing gel in a 50-mile ride this weekend and had no problems.

emily_in_nc
10-04-2006, 06:38 PM
Any suggestions out there for light weight - comfy? saddles?

Selle San Marco Atola Gelaround, if you have narrow sitbones. Very comfy after a short sit-bone break-in period.

Do a search in these forums on "Atola" for more posts about this saddle, including several from me.

Good luck!

E

Jen
10-06-2006, 04:29 AM
What is the difference between a regular road bike saddle and a tri saddle?

Grog
10-06-2006, 06:52 AM
Tri saddles are made to accommodate the aero position for a long period of time. Triathlon bikes, or road bikes fitted for triathlon, usually have a slightly different geometry which I believe tends to put more pressure on the front part of your crotch, potentially causing nasty numbness. There might be other features that I don't know about...

However you may find a Tri saddle to be comfortable for you on a road bike setting. It's just another shape after all!

Pedal Wench
10-06-2006, 07:31 AM
I've been using one for a few months now. So far, so good, but I still haven't done anything over 70 miles on it. I have done back to back 50 miles, but nothing much more. We'll have to see. I used the Specialized Avatar Gel, which I LOVED, but it was a bit heavy. If it were lighter, that would still be my saddle of choice.

Yikes. Forgot to report back. So, I posted about this saddle in May, and I've probably put about 2,000 miles on, including a weeklong tour with back to back 80-mile days. I also did two centuries over Labor Day weekend (Saturday and Monday) and the MS150 the weekend after that. So,... this saddle is GREAT! It really was fine on all of those. I've been fighting a saddle sore, but it just started a few weeks ago and I can't say I blame the saddle.