PDA

View Full Version : Need info about Trek 1.2 WSD

kjay
04-28-2006, 06:43 PM
I imagine many of the viewers here are in another league of bikes, but I hope I can get some info about the Trek 1.2 WSD. I like it because the top bar doesn't crunch me (it's angled), and I like the cheater brakes on the handle bars. I like the wheels on the Trek 2.1 WSD, but the top tube is too close to my body parts. Is the 1.2considered an okay bike for long-haul rides, ie, 60 or more? I don't like the colors of the Trek 2.1 WSD (black with pink lettering), or I'd probably get that. I know there's more to a bike than its color, but I'd live to live comfortably with it for a number of years. I'm fairly flexible in what I can buy, but not more than 2K for sure. I would appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks very much.

dianne_1234
04-30-2006, 10:05 AM
I looked at trekbikes.com and I think the Pilot 1.2 WSD would be a great bike for all kinds of road riding, including long distance. Of course, I'd change to clipless pedals and swap the saddle for my favorite, but I'd do that with almost any new bike.

The main upgrades I see in the Pilot 2.1 WSD specs are
- the ZR9000 frame (a tiny bit lighter weight, no big deal),
- Ultegra parts instead of Tiagra with some 105 (again no big deal)
- Shimano ST-R700 STI adjustable reach levers (potentially a big deal if you have small hands)
- It comes with Shimano SPD clipless pedals

In my experience you're right to care about the color. My favorite bikes over the years have been the ones I liked to look at, even when they've been heavier, slower, lower grade parts, etc. :) For what it's worth, I also prefer the Lava Red.

DrBee
04-30-2006, 01:45 PM
I have the Pilot 2.1 WSD and love it! If you don't like the color - look for a 2005 model. It's silver with blue. Very nice! Good luck with your decision. I would DEFINITELY switch out the saddle.