PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle Driver: Cool website for urban riding skills

Dianyla
04-28-2006, 02:59 PM
I just found a link to this site on the Cascade bicycle club commuting forum:

Bicycle Driver (http://www.bicycledriver.com/)

It's got a whole bunch of videos showing good and bad ways to negotiate intersections, traffic, left-hand turns, etc. I thought it was pretty informative.

fatbottomedgurl
04-28-2006, 04:16 PM
Thanks, I just watched most of the videos. I'm happy to say I'm a pretty "sharp" cyclists. I find drivers respect me when I clearly operate like a "vehicle". Yesterday I was in the left lane of a double left-turn lane intersection because I needed to make another immediate left. I was surrounded by cars. I don't think anyone had a problem with me being there. And I think guys like to watch ladies in bike shorts anyway.

I think this should be posted in the Newbie section.

fatbottomedgurl
04-28-2006, 04:18 PM
One odd thing I noticed was the cyclist signalling a right turn with his right hand. I stick to the left arm bent up like the DMV requires from a motorist. Do they still teach that in Driver's Ed?

Dianyla
04-28-2006, 04:26 PM
One odd thing I noticed was the cyclist signalling a right turn with his right hand. I stick to the left arm bent up like the DMV requires from a motorist. Do they still teach that in Driver's Ed?
I know this question has come up before and someone looked up some local laws. In most states it seemed that if you're in a car you need to do the left-arm bent at a 90, otherwise noone will see your right arm signals. Cyclists can use either their right arm to point right or their left arm to do the angle. I find that motorists are confused when I hold up my left arm, so now I always point with the right for right-hand turns.

Melody
04-28-2006, 04:31 PM

They do, as far as I know, however in the California Vehicle Code section 22111 it says the following:

22111. Hand Signals[...]
(b) Right turn-hand and arm extended upward beyond the side of the vehicle, except that a bicyclist may extend the right hand and arm horizontally to the right side of the bicycle.[...]

So, in the state of California it is perfectly legal to use your right hand to point or use the classic left handed right turn hand signal. I personally use the "point in the direction of travel" method (i.e. use right hand pointing right) since it leaves less ambiguity. With some drivers who haven't seen a hand signal in a loooooooooong time they may forget what the crooked left arm pointing up means. :)

Mel

snapdragen
04-28-2006, 05:00 PM
A million years ago when I did CAR 7, they had us using the left arm bent signal. It's stuck with me.

Trek - what hand signals are they using for LifeCycle?

KnottedYet
04-28-2006, 06:06 PM
I use the right-arm-out-for-a-right-turn technique. I've found that cars seem to be confused about the left arm bent at the elbow thing. If I'm POINTING in the bloomin' direction I intend to go, they get it.

Also, if I act like a car they treat me like a car. I hog the left half of a lane when I need to make a left turn, and haven't had anyone pass me on the right yet. If I'm wearing a big ol' goofy lime green jacket or a reflector vest I get even more respect. Like they trust me to behave appropriately if I'm gonna dress like such a total dork and ride in the road. Put a hot orange flag on me and I'm way groovy.

For the most part, I get treated like a slow car on my work commute.

And I always wave and mouth "thank you" to any car who gives me the right-of-way, even if it was legally mine in the first place. Public relations, dontcha know.

Dianyla
04-28-2006, 06:13 PM
And I always wave and mouth "thank you" to any car who gives me the right-of-way, even if it was legally mine in the first place. Public relations, dontcha know.
Yes, I always do this too. I think it goes a long way towards improving relations. :)

newfsmith
04-30-2006, 08:16 AM

I used to say "thank you", but on reflection decided that it might be interpreted by some as "f**K you", so now I try to smile, wave & just say "thanks".

I also use the right arm-right turn signal when riding by myself, but in groups it is sometimes suggested that right arm signals should be reserved for pointing out road hazards. Of course, if the hazard is to my left I use my left arm for them so I don't think of that as a hard and fast rule.

thinpaperwings
05-01-2006, 08:23 PM
I love the site. However, I notice that the "sharp" cyclist tended to have jerky movements. A great example of this is in the Left Turn in Heavy Traffic clip. I think if I were driving my car behind him I would be worried about what he was going to do. I guess I just expect people to execute smoother movements. I understand positioning in the lane to indicate that you're going to change lanes or turn, but I think it's safer to be smoother in your movements. Did any one else feel this way?

-Sara-

Dianyla
05-01-2006, 08:49 PM
I love the site. However, I notice that the "sharp" cyclist tended to have jerky movements. A great example of this is in the Left Turn in Heavy Traffic clip. I think if I were driving my car behind him I would be worried about what he was going to do. I guess I just expect people to execute smoother movements.
I thought the movements looked jerky, too. But their theory is that this makes you look more decisive to the driver, and also more noticeable. You just said it yourself that if you were in the car you'd be worried about what he was going to do. I.e. you'd be paying more attention. If you always act in a way that is more predictible and expected, you're easier to ignore.

fatbottomedgurl
05-01-2006, 09:12 PM
I started signalling right with my right hand.
I noticed the jerky lane changes too. Did you see the car hit its brakes? I try to make a smooth transition. I wonder if he drives his car that way.:eek:
We have very fast speed limits in town (45-50mph!). Have to be very careful taking a lane to get to a left turn. I think I should get a mirror. Are they dorky? Guess dorky doesn't matter as much as dead.:p

jobob
05-02-2006, 05:52 AM
If you're not comfortable with looking over your shoulder (and keeping a straight line while you do it :D ) then a mirror is an excellent idea.

I know many accomplished cyclists who use mirrors, so it's not a sign of weenie-dom if you use one.

I, personally, prefer to look over my shoulder. I couldn't get used to a mirror when I first tried one although there are some situations where I think it would be a good idea for me to use one. I might give it another go.

One big advantage to looking over your shoulder, though, is that you let the car behind you know that you're aware of it. When I'm driving in my car past a cyclist I like to know that they know that I'm there. I'm still on the ready for any boneheaded maneuver that might ensue, though :p

I prefer the point right arm straight to the right version of the right turn signal. It's legal in CA. I've seen some people do the 90-degree bent left arm where they don't raise their arm high enough to make a true 90 degree bend, and it just looks confusing.

Geonz
05-02-2006, 07:01 PM
Okay, how come the link comes up as "not found" for me? Did we drive tpoo much traffic to it?

Yup, hte left arm up is a vestige of pre-turn-signal days for cars. I think maybe we remember it at all 'cause it's weird :-) I find I'm so right handed that it's easier to make a right turn with that right hand on the handlebars, but as often I'll point with my right hand anyway. I have a blinkie for a left signal but I can't always get the switch to work... I'm thinking of getting some bar end lights (I have flat bars) like http://www.knogusa.com/en-us/dept_6.html
I also use the dork factor. I got a Hi-Viz Camelbak and put a blinkie on it. I've got a little blinkie 'way down low on the back, and a ***big*** (reellight or realite, I forget) 8 x 5 blinkie in the left bag and a WTF "wonder wand" that blinks through five colors on a little plastic moon (it's a kid's toy that my friend got me 'cause she figures the more lights I have, the better). That and the HOkey Spokes ... I didn't even have 'em all going but a kid says "ain't nobody gonna hitchu!" as I ride by...
Cars really do seem to have a more automatic "treat you like a slow car" response when you are *in* the road acting like a car than when you are trying to stay totally and completely out of their way. And I do try to be overtly nice & friendly... and they tend to be, too.

withm
05-03-2006, 05:37 PM
I downloaded the file, but was not able to play it in Windows Media player, nor in Real Player. What program plays it?