PDA

View Full Version : Local TT Training series (long and ignorable)

TsPoet
04-27-2006, 06:05 PM
OK, so this isn’t really a race – it’s just a training series, but wanted to write my newbie experiences.
The series is every Tuesday night all summer – 5 mi, then 10 mi, then 40 k, then hill climb, then the rotation starts over.
Men and women all race and some form of “correction” is taken for age and gender. I don’t understand what they do, but my factor is 1.223 (an age-matched male has a correction factor of 1.062). It looks like they divide the actual time by the correction to come up with the standings.

First 5 mi TT
Actual Time 18:50
Corrected Time 15:24
Average mph 15.93

4th out of 11 women
14th (after correction) out of 33 people

Lessons learned:
TTs aren’t necessarily flat (I thought they all were)
Don’t come out so fast. On the way out, keep that HR ~165 (my approx lactic acid threshold)
On the way back, let her rip.
I need to work on my RPMs – avg cadence 85

Second week, another 5 mi TT
Actual Time 17:52
Corrected Time 14:35
Average mph 16.79

5th out of 12 women
15th out of 37 people (after correction)

Lessons learned:
Did better, came out slower, maybe not quite so slow next time.
Warm up! I never feel good until I’ve ridden a couple of miles, quit worrying about warming up tiring me out and warm up.

Third week, 10 mi TT
Actual Time 37:40
Corrected Time 30:47
Average mph 15.93

5th out of ? women
15th out of 40 people (after correction)

Lessons learned:
Don’t eat a slice of pizza on the way to the TT. (AKA 1 disadvantage of a recumbent is, if you need to throw up, you have to get off the bike in a hurry to keep from throwing up on yourself. I didn’t actually throw up, just thought I was going to)
Still need more of a warm up. I parked about 1 mile away and gently rode to the ride, need more.
Even if you feel lousy, you can gently pedal through it. Repassed the 2 women who passed me in the last 2 miles.

Fourth week, 40 k TT
Actual Time 1:29:05
Corrected Time 1:12:50
Average mph 16.74

4th out of ? women
15th out of ? people (after correction)

Lessons learned:
I can do it! I almost chickened out – I didn’t think I’d be able to do 25 miles of trying so hard
Keep at it. While not unfriendly, this was the first week the club was friendly to me. Several men walked up to me afterwards and “congratulated” me. One said “Commendable! For a recumbent”. I wasn’t able to explain to him the recumbent is why I did as well – he discounted that due to “the hills” – which were rollers of 1-4% grade consistently for the whole ride.

Overall Lesson learned:
I need (not want, need) a racing road bike and a mentor! I wonder if I could do the Tour De Walla Walla next year?!? Don’t know if they even have a citizen’s class. If I can lose 20 lbs maybe, just maybe…
Right now, my bike handling skills are perfect for a TT – skills need a lot of improvement if I want to ride with others. Need to get up the nerve to ask the club about their Wednesday night training rides – I hear them talking about these rides, sound pretty serious.

SadieKate
04-27-2006, 06:17 PM
Congratulations on keeping your speed up for such a long course. You nearly matched your PB on the 5 mi TT. I started doing our local fun 10 mi TTs last year and learned so much in the few I did. I planning on doing it again later this spring.

I found that I felt the best when I ate carbs only the few hours before the TT and needed about 30-40 mins of steady, low resistance riding to warm-up well. The course is 9.5 miles from our house and I'm going to try to work it so I can ride to the course each time. I don't get as wound up as when I drive, unload, set up, etc.

I'm also need to get an accurate measurement of my max HR so I can approach these things a bit more sanely. Not looking forward to that test.

Eden
04-27-2006, 09:15 PM
Hi TSPoet - sounds like you are having fun - keep up the good work!
If you are serious about doing Walla Walla next year there are a few things you should or will have to do.

1. You need to have a road bike with drop handle bars (no flat bars). It does not have to be the newest fanciest racing bike around, but it does have to meet USCF standards so - no aerobars unless you are doing a TT, no softrides or other bikes without seat tubes, and sorry no recumbents.

2. You will need to buy a USCF racing license - you don't have to be on a team to get one -any one can buy one and beginners are generally allowed to purchase one day race licenses at most races. Even Walla Walla was allowing one day licenses this year for cat 4 women. I've never seen a "citizen's" race here WA. As a beginner you are just considered to be in the lowest USCF category, which is 4 for women and in many races you will only race against other cat 4's. If you are from Washington you may want to buy a WSBA (Washington State Bicycle Association) number. Beginners and out of staters are allowed to rent them at the races. Walla Walla used its own numbers so if you only ever want to do that race then you wouldn't need one.

3. Learn to ride in a group safely. Join a team if you can - you don't have to be experienced or fast to be on a team. What you will get is the support and benefit of the experience of all of your team mates and it is invaluable. Most teams recruit members in the fall, so look for meet the team rides to happen around September/October. If there isn't a team in your area that interests you, at very least find a group to ride with so that you get the experience. Like I said before you don't have to be on a team to race, so if you don't feel ready to make that kind of commitment it is OK, but I still recommend it - cycling is really a team sport and a team makes racing more fun! Plus to tell the truth it is generally assumed that unattached riders don't have good handling skills, so you may find people staying away from you. If you are at all close to Auburn you could try some of the women's training series at Pacific Raceways 7pm some Thursdays. It is not a USCF race so you don't have to have a license and they have a beginner category in addition to the regular cat 4. (check it out at www.buduracing.com) I might hesitate to tell anyone to jump right into a race, but this one is a little different. There is an experienced rider that goes with each group and teaches and they do have the beginner group for people who have never raced before - still some practice group riding would be very beneficial. If you have any skills clinics availabe in your area by all means do them.

Wow - I guess this a lot to hit you with all at once, but as a first year racer I am having so much fun that I want to encourage you to try it and give you the information that you need to get started. I hope it doesn't sound too confusing - its really not as complicated as it sounds. Keep asking questions about anything that is unclear!

TsPoet
04-28-2006, 08:28 PM
Eden and SadieKate,
Thanks.
I habitually get a intro whatever (kayak, racketball racket, recumbent bike...) then a year later I need to get a more performance oriented.
I'm trying to avoid doing that - I want to buy 1 good bike. Good enough to satisfy my competetive edge, but not so good that I look rediculous and waste money (I'm never going to be more than Cat 4).
Didn't fit any of the Treks I tried. My LBS has a 05 Specialized Roubaix Elite, which is more or less dquivalent to a 06 05 Specialized Roubaix Comp for a great price - but I'm not sure that's "good" enough.

Anyway, not to ramble on about my decision woes - thanks for the advice.

My local club is very active. The woman who came in either 3rd or 4th is from my local club. I just need a bike and the nerve to join in some of their training rides. Maybe if I can keep doing better and better at the TTs I'll get to that point.
I've enjoyed the Walla Walla discussion and your ride descriptions.

Thanks again,

RoadRaven
04-29-2006, 07:23 PM
Well done, TS - especially on the 40km TT

Because of my age, most of the TTs I expect to do are 20km ones, and the longest should be no more than 25km.

Doing 25.4 - 26.7 km/hour is impressive for your first TTs.
Well done... the TT is the cycling course/race I like to do the best

RoadRaven
04-29-2006, 07:29 PM
I'm also need to get an accurate measurement of my max HR so I can approach these things a bit more sanely. Not looking forward to that test.

Hey there SadieKate - just remember, in a TT you don't ride at your maximum HR, you need to ride just under the heart rate where your lactate threshold is reached... will your test measure your lactate threshold?

For example, my resting HR is 39 bpm, my max is about 170 bpm (though I have never ridden til I have had to throw up, so that is a guessitmate). My lactate threshold was measured (by blood tests - pin pricks in the fingers every few minutes as my power output is increased) at 152 bpm.

So I ride a TT at 150 bpm if I can maintain it.

My training is designed to increase my LT

Pink Kona
04-30-2006, 06:20 PM
Ahhhh... food. This was emailed to me by Kele Murdin, a domestic pro racer who just scored her first top 10 in a NRC race (National Racing Calendar). It has helped me emensely and kept me from making the fatal mistake of eatting right before a race. Enjoy!

Warm up:

Usually 30-45 min (TTs are more specific, long RR I don't warm up as much, Crits definitely 45min)during warm up, try to finish one small bottle, sipping often (not guzzling)...w/ some sports drink mix.

After warm up...one GU to replenish and feed the muscles that are now open and hungry.

On the bike during racing...the rule of thumb is one GU (or about 100cal of some high glycemic food) EVERY 30 min...keep an eye on the clock and get into a habit....it's crucial to eat on the bike.

After race (even a 15min TT) some recovery mix (endurox, usually a higher protein ratio than racing mix, choc milk is a easy substitute)...immediately after race, and probably a bar/PB&J to replenish glycogen quickly (theroy is need to get this in w/in 30 post race for most efficient use of calories...ie going straight to the muscles).

Spin down as needed...15-30min easy, light gear....to flush legs (only after you have recovery drink and food in hand....all parts of recovering)

Try to get a meal in w/in 2 hrs of racing...again so these calories go to muscles, not hips...if ya know what I mean!

Also - I have found that during track season and racing it's helpful to have a little snack with you to munch on. I use it mainly to keep my sugar levels up so I feel good for the next race. Hard candy is a great cure for cotton mouth too. Feel free to ask questions - I'm more than happy to share my experiences.

RoadRaven
04-30-2006, 07:14 PM
Thanks Pink
I knew all of this, but to see it listed so neatly - I have printed it off and will read a few more times and make sure I take what I need...
Particularly now I am starting to be able to get myself into the beginning of the pain... now to be able to make myself stay there for the whole race... I def need to consider refueling/recovery more scientifically...