PDA

View Full Version : devil's gulch

Irulan
08-11-2003, 09:43 AM
I hit the most well known ride in the area... mainly as a default. I was riding solo and don't know the area well, and wanted to be on a traveled trail just for insurance. The red hill ride sounded much more interesting, but I figure it's better to play it safe.

By the time I got going it was late enough in the day that I cut out the 12 mile 4000' forest road climb, and got my friends who live in Cashmere to shuttle me to the upper trailhead. Bottom line is I had 12 miles of easy downhill, and then another 10 of road to their house.

As a well known destination ride, I was seriously disapointed. The trail is (IMO) super easy, single track as smooth as a baby's butt through the forest. Nothing technical, not even roots, except for a little bit of loose rock pavement ( gravel) in some cliff areas. I took it pretty conservative tho, keeping my speed down as you can't see around any of the corners - and there are a lot of corners. I also walked all the large stream crossings. Solo riding will do that to you... make you take it easy when you don't know the trail.

Mind you it was pleasant and a great way to spend an afternnoon while hubby was in meetings. I am real interested in some of the lesser known rides in the area, got a great recommendation for Red Hill Trail, but as it was described to me as relatively unused, I opted out for a solo. Maybe next time.

Irulan

waterlilli
08-13-2003, 11:50 AM
Bummer that the trail was not what you were looking for, but as you said it is a well known destination and needs to be done at least once to know if it is worth it for you. I just remember it being long and by the time I got to the last part of it I was ready to be done. It was when I first started biking and was long for me. I do want to do it again, but take the Mission Ridge. They have all kinds of climbing there.
Side note: I was looking through your web pages again, I like to go back, I alway see somthing new. I saw that your family is into whitewater. Do you prefer rafts or catarafts? I have a Super puma and wanted to switch to a cat. You can PM me if you prefer as this is not bike related. Opps I get off track fast.

Irulan
08-13-2003, 11:58 AM
I'd definitely bring my bike if I went back and try some of the other stuff.

Riding solo presents a series of limitation if one's into using common sense and caution. I'd rather have an easy ( to me) trail out solo, where I see other people, than get in over my head someplace that's unfamiliar.

will PM about boats.

Susan126
08-14-2003, 07:17 AM
Irulan .... try some of these trails .....

http://www.leavenworth.org/trails/biking/index.html

The Freund Canyon trail is the same trail where The 6th Annual
Bavarian Bike & Brew race was held this past June.

http://www.dasradhaus.com/events.html

It's a hell of a climb and a fast challenging downhill!

Sue

waterlilli
08-14-2003, 07:31 AM
Is Freund Canyon the one where you ride up the road that becomes a trail then climbs, then down? If it is the one I am think of it is such a nice climb, and part of the downhill is a blast except the waterbars. Derby canyon also has riding, but watch out it gets steep!

Irulan
08-14-2003, 07:46 AM
Freund Canyon was suggested to me. The bottom line was I picked a ride where there'd be other folks for sure, and that my freinds live on the road to the DG trailhead.

Sure looks like a lot of good rides around there. I picked up the "mountain biking NW WA" book which looks like a good one.

Irulan

Susan126
08-14-2003, 08:07 AM
Irulan,

I forgot to tell you about Red Hill Trail. It is a lot more difficult and challenging than Devil's Gulch. Especially if you do it counter clockwise. Long climb but awesome view once you get to the top. Great descent. If you do the trail clockwise the climb isn't as hard or long. Your trade in a longer descent.

Sue

Irulan
08-14-2003, 08:21 AM
Sue, one of the gals at arlberg bike shop in wenatchee told me about that one and it sounds awesome. I read up on it in the book, and I was just hesistant to go out on a lesser used trail while riding solo.

maybe we need to have a gals mtb weekend in the area, eh?

Irulan

Susan126
08-14-2003, 02:06 PM
Irulan,

The Red Hill Trail is a definite must do if you are in the Wenatchee area again. Like I mentioned in my previous post, it's a lot more challenging and fun then the well known Devil's Gulch trail. A gals mountain bike weekend sounds like it would be a lot of fun!

Sue

ORBikeChick
05-31-2004, 05:43 PM
Hey Guys...I've been reading your posts about Devil's Gulch, but can't seem to find much information on it...how to get there etc.. is there a site I havn't found that includes all this information?? I'm psyched to check it out!

thanks!
Sarah

Irulan
05-31-2004, 05:45 PM
it's in Wenatchee Cashemere and in all the guidebooks. When I get upstairs I'll look up the title of the book. You can probably get info off the trail guides at MTBR.com, or even at the bike shop in Wenatchee.

TE mtb weekend in Wenatchee?

penny