PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new bike

massbikebabe
08-11-2003, 09:19 AM
Hello:

Twenty years ago I was a die hard biker and spent some money on a Terry Precision and added Campy componets. Over the years I have had babies, ruined my back, and generally drifted away from cycling. Today, I am back in the saddle and looking to buy a new, lighter bike. I will keep my Terry for training and bad weather rides. I have it down to two bikes that I am interested in and was wondering if any of you could offer some input. I am 5'2" with short hands, legs and torso. I am interested
in the new WSD 5200 by Trek, but my husband tells me that the 650 c wheels will make me pedal harder to maintain a good cadence...anyone have any experience with such??? I am also interested in the Specialized Allez Dolce another WSD. My son just bought a Specialized and I am very impressed with his bike,
he seems to have gotten a lot of bang for his buck. Both of the bikes I am interested in have Shimano Ultegre Componets with
short reach levers, (which is all I can use...my Terry has an old pair of Suntour short reach levers). I guess my question is, does anyone out there ride a Trek 5200, or a Specialized Alez Dolce, and what kind of input/concerns do you have about these bikes??
Thanks for the info on cleats...I am also investing in a pair of Look
cleats for my new bike and found your information to be most helpful!!
massbikebabe

Laurel C
08-11-2003, 04:13 PM
I recently (i.e., two weeks ago) purchased a Trek 5200 WSD. It is actually my first road bike, (my other bike is a specialized rockhopper comp.) I am VERY new to road bikes, so I don't know how much help I will be to you - but I LOVE this bike. It fits me perfectly - I am 5'7" and 135 lbs with long legs and a relatively short torso. I also have small hands.

Like I said, I love the bike. I test rode several of them before choosing the trek - and I didn't notice having to pedal harder to maintain a good cadence (and with the shape I am in these days, I am SURE I would have noticed.)

The only thing that I don't like is the saddle is horribly uncomfortable for me, but that is easily corrected. The longest ride I have been on is 25 miles so far, so I may feel differently then, but as of now, I am very satisfied with my choice.

I know that I probably wasnt much help - but I do love the bike. Good luck with whatever you decide.

massbikebabe
08-12-2003, 12:26 PM
Thanks!!!

Thanks for posting the info on the Trek 5200. I think I am leaning in that direction. Although it costs more than the Specialized, I think I will be happier in the long run. I have heard that the saddle is torture. I have an old leather saddle that goes onto all of my bikes. I took me years to break it in, now I won't compromise!!!!! Now I just have to figure out what type of cycle
computer I want, I am getting everything new for this bike...even
a new helmet!!!!
:D :cool:

thanks again!!

DeniseGoldberg
08-13-2003, 10:36 AM
If the bike has appropriate gearing, then you shouldn't have to pedal harder (or more cycles) with smaller wheels.

I have 3 bikes that I ride regularly - a Peter Mooney touring bike with 700c wheels, a Bike Friday Air Glide (set up as a touring bike) with 20 inch (406) wheels, and a Bike Friday Pocket Rocket (set up as a road bike) with 20 inch (451) wheels. The chain rings on the bikes with little wheels are bigger than the chain rings on the bike with "normal" size wheels - my gearing on the two touring bikes is exactly the same. And the gearing on my Pocket Rocket is actually higher than that on the touring bikes.

annie
08-20-2003, 06:22 AM
massbikebabe,

My Trek 5200WSD bike, new this year, fits me as close to perfect as a non-ciustom bike could possibly fit. I still am amazed at how much better it feels than any other bike I have ever owned. I am 5'2 (almost). I got the 51 cm frame size. Could never have done that on a bike with 700 cc wheels. I have the seatpost at a nice height, not as low as it can go! I didn't have to switch to a shorter stem. I have NO shoulder or neck aches, even after centuries. As for the smaller wheels, you simply adjust and use different gearing. I honestly think the smaller wheels, which are automatically going to be lighter than comparable wheels of the same size, make it easier on hills. I climb better on this bike. I am not much of a sprinter, but I feel like it's a little bit easier to jump into a sprint with the smaller wheels. There really isn't anything about the bike that I don't like. You do have to make sure you have your own spare tubes (plus patch kit) because borrowing tubes from others often isn't an option. It's also tougher to find tires that you like in a 650 size. Aside from those two minor things, I have nothing to complain about! I love the bike. So.......... there's a ringing endorsement. Let us know what you decide to get and how you like it...

Oh, and as for the saddle, I went with the Bontrager WSD Ti saddle, thinking if I didn't like it I would just switch it out. I am still riding it and not having any problems at all! Surprised me. I've ridden it all summer, on numerous centuries and a week long ride. It felt good from the start. So you never know. Don't judge by how it feels to anyone but yourself. And if you are spending that much money on a bike, the shop you get it at had better be willing to swap out the saddle for you if you don't like it!

Most computers have similar functions. I love my Flight Deck, but I know lots of people who don't care for them. It's fun to have all that info at your fingertips. I am spoiled now and miss it when I ride other bikes. It would be great to have a computer that measure wattage, too, like the pros have, but I can't justify spending that much!!!

massbikebabe
08-30-2003, 09:36 AM
Annie:

Last weekend I almost bought the Specialized Allez Dolce and then found that they didn't have my size. When my LBS got one in this weekend, I didn't like the feel at all. I pouted, moped, and tried the Trek 5200 WSD again and it fits just sooooo well that I bought it. I LOVE THIS BIKE!!! I really thought I was going to have to get a custom bike...(i.e. a SEVEN)...but I truly think this bike fits me as well as a custom bike. It has given me road fever!
I also picked up a pair of Time Carbon Pedals and a pair of a Specialized shoes...I AM IN HEAVEN!!! Got my husband new pedals and shoes also. My son picked up a Camelback and a new Helmet...so the whole fam damily is ready for a ride. It was certainly an expensive day!!! Thanks for all of your help!! I really appreciate it.
Karen

annie
08-30-2003, 11:06 AM
CONGRATULATIONS !!!!! :p I am happy for you. I hope you love the bike as much as I have and have many wonderful rides on it.

You LBS should be lovin' you after all you spent there in a day! ;) Shoes, pedals, etc...... Good on you! Those are things that you can all enjoy and use for many years to come.

massbikebabe
08-30-2003, 02:03 PM
Annie:

Yeah, I spent almost $3300 there today alone!! In the spring I bought my husband a new Colnago Master Lite, and then bought my son a Specialized Allez, and my daughter a Specialized Hardrock. Whenever they see me walk in the door all the guys run
to see who is going to help me because they know I spend WAAAAYYY!! to much money!!!

I really do love the way this bike climbs...it is so sweet!! We
are getting a little rain here today so I didn't do too much riding but expect to do a lot tomorrow. I love the shifting on the Ultegra
group. It is taking me a little getting used to having the shift levers in my hands and not having to reach down for them. Reminds me of when I went from a standard to an automatic car!!
You were certainly right...this is a fun bike!!

Karen:D

Laurel C
08-30-2003, 02:30 PM
Karen,

Congrats on the 5200 WSD! Just got back from a ride on mine - I LOVE that thing. You sure seem to have quite the little cycling family, good for you.

enjoy!!

Laurel

massbikebabe
08-31-2003, 08:59 AM
Laurel:

This is a sensational bike!! I was up at dawn this a.m. and riding. There is nothing I dislike about this bike!! I haven't switched out the saddle yet and don't think I will...I actually like the Bontrager saddle the bike came with. My husband even likes the saddle!!! I love the way this bike climbs up a hill...and here in Massachusetts that's a great feature!!

The only thing I don't like is the shoes I bought...I got the specialized road shoes that look like sneakers...they are miserable!! I am going to go back and see if I can return them and find someting that will fit the Time pedals I bought!!

Karen

emily_in_nc
08-31-2003, 12:54 PM
Karen,

Congratulations on your Trek 5200 WSD! I have a question for you: What size did you end up getting? I see that Annie is just under 5'2" and got the 51 cm size. This really surprised me as I am a bit over 5'2" and test rode the 47cm size (my post on this is in this forum under "Terry bikes"). I found that the top tube was a bit longer than on my 17.5" Terry Isis, and I felt a bit stretched out. Perhaps this is actually a *better* fit than my Isis (I have never had a professional fitting), but it didn't feel as good. So, I was really surprised to read Annie's post about fitting a 51cm! I don't think my arms are abnormally short, but perhaps they are!

I'm still thinking about the 5200 WSD as I suspect I just need a higher stem to make it fit just right. But it has to wait til next year for financial reasons (just bought a lovely Santana Team AL to ride with hubby!)

As for the stock saddle - it hurt me during my little 5 mile test ride! Ugh! I would have to change that out for a Terry immediately - I have to have that cut-out or I just burn down there. Ouch! Glad it works for you, though.

Enjoy your new bike! :)

Emily

massbikebabe
08-31-2003, 02:12 PM
Emily:

I am 5' 3" with very short legs and a short reach and I ended
getting a 51 cm Trek. I also thought I would need to change out the stem however my husband turned the bars back a little and it made a huge difference. The standover height on my Trek is about 2cm taller than my Terry Precision, and the reach is identical
to my Terry. This Trek is truly the bike of my dreams. I have never had a bike that performs this well from the get go. I hear you on the money thing...it took me a long time to make this decision, but I am very happy I did. Bottom line: It's worth the money if you are comfortable on the bike...we work too hard not to have simple pleasures.

I did buy new shoes today...I got a pair of Sidi's which are much stiffer and not causing so much pain in my arch's! I can't wait to ride in them tomorrow:cool: We are hving beautiful weather here for riding!!

Karen

emily_in_nc
08-31-2003, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the quick answer, Karen. I'm just surprised that y'all are riding the 51cm! Oh well, we're all built differently, I guess. What size is your Terry, just for comparison?

Sidi shoes are supposed to be great - I haven't sprung for them yet b/c I have a pair of Lakes I love, but my husband has some and raves about them.

Enjoy the new bike!
Emily

massbikebabe
08-31-2003, 06:19 PM
Emily:

I cannot remember the height of my Terry. I do have a 24 inch front wheel if I remember correctly...I'll have to go down cellar tomorrow and measure it out for you.

Karen

annie
09-01-2003, 04:56 AM
Emily,

When you tried the Trek 47 cm. frame, did the shop adjust the saddle? Did they move it more to the front? Did you discuss getting a shorter stem? What type of seatpost did it have? (I'm not sure what the stock seatpost is.) The way some seatposts are designed, they actually move you farther back on the bike than one that is straight up. You shouldn't have to do TOO much to make a bike fit, or you know it's not the bike for you, but these are all little changes that might make a big difference in how you feel while riding. Or on the other hand, it might not be the right bike for you........... As you said, we are all different!! We are all unique. Don't get something you aren't sure of. There's other womens' bike out there, not as many as we could wish for. You might have to do a bit of searching. If you get the bike that works best for you, it is worth it. Your enjoyment level will go WAAAY up.

emily_in_nc
09-01-2003, 10:54 AM
Hi Annie,

Actually, about all the bike shop did to get me set up for the bike is to make sure the saddle height was correct for me. There was no fore/aft adjustment or any special fitting they did. The seatpost was stock - not sure which kind.

The stock stem is pretty short already, and they said that there wasn't much they could do to bring it up higher (i.e., for less reach) for me b/c of its threadless design (ie., spacers, etc). But it wasn't bad - it may well have worked once I got the saddle right.

One other problem I had with it was that the shop had installed the handlebars a bit oddly (for me, anyway). They had rotated them back such that the drops were farther away and virtually unusable for me. That would be an easy fix to re-rotate them forwards, but I'd probably have to have the brake/shift levers moved further up on them too (so the reach wouldn't be too far) and thus the handlebar tape redone. No biggie, but not a 1 minute fix. ;)

If I do seriously consider the 5200 WSD, I will go back and see about getting it dialed in better for me. If this particular shop doesn't want to accomodate me, I'll find one that will. That's one really nice thing about Trek - lots of dealers. :)

I am looking specifically for a carbon-fiber bike (eventually), so most of the other womens-specific bikes don't suit me as they are either aluminum or cro-moly. I am very interested in an Aegis Swift, but they are more $$ than the Trek, so if the Trek could be dialed in to fit me properly, I'd be very pleased. But this is a 2004 purchase - one bike per year is enough! (My husband and I just bought a gorgeous tandem...)

The Aegis comes in sizes down to 44 cm, and I heard from one 5'2" woman who has the 44 cm size, and it fits her perfectly. That's what's so odd about these sizes!

Thanks again,
Emily

massbikebabe
04-15-2004, 11:31 AM
Annie:

I just put the black/grey/white cammo. handlebar tape on my 5200 and it looks soooooo coooooool with the carbon!

karen