PDA

View Full Version : Arm and Leg Warmers

Barb
04-25-2006, 08:09 AM
I am thinking of some warmers to take on my tour. I am a chunky monkey kinda girl! How do I figure out what size to order? I am only 5'4 but since I am heavy, I wear XL or XXL usually. Are they that stretchy that I am over thinking this?!!

I just moved so I am broke broke broke. I want the bolero, but I must make concessions.

While I am at it, should I invest in a helmet cover? Are they super hot? Michigan weather is so unpredictable that I can't tell you if it will be 75 and rainy or 50 and rainy!

Nanci
04-25-2006, 08:12 AM
I have a Louis Garneau helmet cover and, the times I've needed it, I've loved it! It's great for cold/windy, too, not just rain. I think you'd eventually get your money's worth out of one.

Check on eBay for warmers- they usually have good deals.

Also, (I know you're broke, but...) Pearl Izumi Calientoes are great for both cold and rain. If it's a total downpour, you'll eventually get soaked, but they keep out the worst of it without going full-blown shoe covers.

stella
04-25-2006, 08:49 AM
I've got a sugoi rain cover--it has been worth it in both rain and windy conditions. sometimes you can find these on the cheap at an LBS.

I am not sure about arm/leg warmers. My only experience has been w/my arm/leg warmers. I have gained about 25 lbs in the past few years (in law school--not as much exercise and poor eating habits. changing that now). My arm/leg warmers have adjusted w/me w/out a problem.

If your lbs has them, try them on and then order the same brand on-line for cheap.

some info I have learned over the years: certain brands use Euro sizing and are thus smaller (ex: I wear a medium short, but in Castelli--I wear a large)
examples of euro brands/sizing: castelli, exte ondo
examples of american sizing: Terry, Pearl Izumi, bellweather

good luck in your search and keep us posted!

Barb
04-25-2006, 08:50 AM
Thanks, that is important becuase I have suede shoes! I am sort of worried about them getting soaked and staying soaked for a week. I have other shoes, but they are not as comfy walking around. I may have to just suck it up.

KabyMom
04-25-2006, 08:57 AM
will those Calien Toes fit over Shimano cycling sandals? And what about sizing? They are S/M or L/XL.
Thanks

Nanci
04-25-2006, 09:37 AM
* S/M fits men's shoe sizes 7 - 8.5; women's 8 - 9.5
* L/XL fits men's shoe sizes 8.5 - 13; women's 9.5 - 11+

They fit over my Sidi MTB shoes, though they take some wiggling to get over the lugs.

As soon as I get my sandals, I'll put them on and report! (Should be here tomorrow, I hope!)

Nanci

Dianyla
04-25-2006, 10:58 AM
If you're wearing sandals, you might want to look into the Seal Skinz waterproof socks. I got some at REI, but they weren't cheap. ;)

CorsairMac
04-25-2006, 12:03 PM
just make sure the arm warmers don't pinch you in the biceps. I'm not a really big person but boy howdy do I have biceps. The guy at my LBS took a look at my arms and said - large! and he was right. I put them on and flexed my biceps to make sure they wouldn't pinch. I have some PI fleece lined, the Primal Wear tattoo warmers and a pair of very special one-of-a-kind Amici Veloci arm warmers! I don't use a helmet cover, I wear a polypro balaclava becuase my issue is with my ears getting cold and then causing me no end of problems. The balaclava works very well keeping my head warm also and they aren't too expensive - it might be an alternative for your budget.

Barb
04-25-2006, 12:11 PM
I have a balaclava. It would be way too warm for summer riding! I am just looking to stay dry if it rains. I did see some good prices on ebay for arm and leg warmers. Thanks

Duck on Wheels
04-25-2006, 01:36 PM
Thanks, that is important becuase I have suede shoes! I am sort of worried about them getting soaked and staying soaked for a week. I have other shoes, but they are not as comfy walking around. I may have to just suck it up.

I have seen people riding with plastic bags wrapped around their bike shoes. I guess they just rip a small hole for the cleats. I've used bags as emergency rain boots and/or rain hat on occasion. They're not exactly high-tech and breathable like Gore-Tex, but will keep you dry and warm for a few hours. Once at an outdoor fair in Paris, Trek420 observed that the French manage to fold and tie these so neatly that they become quite chic.:p I think the trick is maybe a kind of gusset fold up the front, although what I've seen on bikers is just a pull-em-on-and-bunch-em-together style. You could use reflector bands around your ankles as plastic bag-boot fasteners and/or tuck the tops inside your leg-warmers. The money you save can be invested in items where you need more high-tech functionality, such as the arm- and leg-warmers.

As for those, I personally chose Sugoi over PI after trying both on. PI uses elastic at the upper cuff to keep them up, Sugoi uses a clingy strip. I found the clingy strip more comfortable than the elastic (which pinched a bit). I'm sure both work well for weather protection, and prices are similar, so comfort is the key issue for choosing. Somebody else trying on at the same time as I found the PIs more comfortable. I agree with the advice to try them on at your LBS, then shop for the best deal you can find. Which may in fact turn out to be your LBS, in which case by all means support the availability of full service stores by shopping there.

Aggie_Ama
04-25-2006, 03:35 PM
I had a problem getting the Calientoes over my shoes (the S/M). They were really tight. I exchanged them for some Trek ones and I love them. The other thing is the Treks are slightly rough on the bottom, so they seem more durable than my husband's calientoes.

Nanci
04-25-2006, 05:23 PM
I agree- the Calientoes take some doing to get on.

Nanci