PDA

View Full Version : Races 3 &4

CR400
04-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Nothing really eventful to report in the first race, except to say I hate hills. The 4th crit was held at a short track race track, so it was like racing on a asphalt velodrome. This is by far the most fun part of the series and also the fastest. Some of the guys got up into the mid-30's. One side was a strong tailwind and the front strech was a strong headwind.

I was so angery though these races are so small they race men 4,5, citizen, and all women at once. So the men who are faster push the women down to the bottom or the top of the track. If you don't move they yell and try to force you in a direction. I ended up in second place because I almost wrecked because of the guys. They were going around me when one of them cut to close and I hit his back wheel good. Managed to stay up but the women ahead of me was gone. I was faster on the back strech then she was so I wasn't upset that she had 100 feet on me, but after that she ended up half a lap ahead. Grr, that burned me, I was racing for position, but it didn't matter I was a woman, apparently some men think we don't have a right to try to win our race. The funny part is most of those men fell off the lead peleton 5 or 6 laps later.

Eden
04-24-2006, 11:14 PM
I admire your spunk racing with the quys in the first place. We are so lucky out here to have a huge cycling community - we had 48 cat 4 women start the stage race I did this weekend. I've only done one mixed race so far. We've got an every Thursday crit that has everyone mixed in. Its very informal - people drop in and out and a lot of people use it for training with little thought of winning it. Nice thing they only charge the women and juniors $5 instead of $10 like the guys. They don't score separately though, so I'm thinking that's why they charge us less. We don't stand much of a chance against the guys, but its still good practice - and they teach a cornering class before the races thats free with entry.

Hang in there - racing with the guys will make you fast!