PDA

View Full Version : Brand new biker needs advice

Runner13
04-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Hello all!

I'm brand new here and to cycling - my boyfriend's been into it since he was in middle school and I have at last got my own bike! It's been a blast having him show me the ropes and getting used to my new road bike on the trails here where I live. I'm so glad to have found a new sport!

So I've been reading some of the forums and I see that many people have talked about discomfort when riding due to saddle issues. I too have to confess that my first ride with my boyfriend was on his MTB and I had to put up with his man-seat. Unfortunately I was also wearing jeans at the time so at the end of our ten miles, I had cut my girl bits up pretty good. I had to go to the doctor and everything...not good.

So when I got my new bike, I made sure that she had a women's saddle, which has been spectacular in comparison. I really don't hurt down there any more than can be expected, but I am experiencing something that seems a little strange. I know you all aren't doctors, but I was just wondering - is it normal to bleed at all when you're getting used to doing rides (of about 30 miles at this point) ? It doesn't hurt, but I think the pressure down there may be causing it. Any thoughts?

Hope I didn't gross anyone out with this...I was just wondering if other cyclists were in the same boat...

Rachel

Trek420
04-23-2006, 08:54 PM
Runner13 wrote "I really don't hurt down there any more than can be expected"

Rachel, it should not hurt at all. Maybe your muscles after a long hard ride but it should not hurt "down there" one bit.

Have you had the bike fit?
Are you wearing bike shorts?

Runner13
04-23-2006, 09:02 PM
Well, it hurts on the bones down there but I just assume that they're a little bruised since they're not used to biking yet.

Yes, my bike has been fit and feels wonderful, and I wear biking shorts - well lubed too.

In my opinion there's nothing that should be causing me to bleed...that's why it seemed so strange...I guess it's possible that it could be unrelated, but I definitely know that it's not from being torn up like the first time.

Rachel

Dianyla
04-23-2006, 09:38 PM
Is the bleeding from external tissues? Or are you experiencing menstrual spotting? If it's external tissue damage, this is not normal especially if you're wearing padded bike shorts with butt butter.

As for spotting, I have an IUD and often get a little bit of spotting anytime I do any type of strenuous physical exercise that jostles my abdomen.

Runner13
04-24-2006, 04:27 AM
It's not external; of that I'm sure. I had the external thing several weeks ago on that first ride with my boyfriend and I know what that looks like/feels like.

I suppose it could be menstrual spotting...I guess I should just keep an eye on it and see if it continues.

CaroMTNBreck
04-24-2006, 07:19 AM
I would suggest paying attention to it for a while and if the prob persists, see your gyno! As someone who has spent a life of "problems down there" with endometriosis, I am ALWAYS cautioning my friends to get things checked out if they linger for a while!

Runner13
04-24-2006, 02:47 PM
Just thought I'd say that today when I did my 31 mile route, I came back absolutely blood-stain free! I did a little happy dance there in the shower!

That seems to be a good sign. Hopefully this whole thing was unrelated to my biking.