PDA

View Full Version : trek navigator 300 question

Over50Newbie
04-21-2006, 11:25 AM
Hello All,

I am a purely recreational biker with a Trek Navigator 300, and I love it.

Recently, I have decided to do a mini triathlon for fun (250 yd swim, 9.3 mile bike run, and a 5K jog).

A friend told me that if I switch out my original tires for some skinny ones, that I would not have to work so hard on the biking portion, and that it would make the ride more enjoyable.

I am truly a beginner and I am not concerned at all about my time, I just want to have fun.

Her suggestion makes sense to me - what do you guys think?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you,

Over50Newbie

CorsairMac
04-21-2006, 11:47 AM
I used to ride a Navigator 200 and she is right - switching your tires out for skinnier, lighter tires will make your ride go a littel faster and easier. Just be sure they adjust the brakes to the new size tires.............and have fun!

also: welcome to the board! if you get a chance there's a thread under the open titled "getting to know you"........lets you meet us and tell us more about you if you're so inclined. and all types of riders are welcome - we couldn't care less!! The more riders the merrier!!!

bike4ever
04-21-2006, 01:25 PM
The brakes line up with the rim. You should not need to adjust the brakes just to put a thinner tire on the same wheelset (unless they aren't adjusted properly in the first place). You might need a smaller tube though.

Over50Newbie
04-22-2006, 02:07 PM
I brought in my bike today to make the change in the tires. It is supposed to be raining here for the next few days, so I won't get out to try them until midweek.:(

I'll let you know how I like them.

Thank you for your useful responses.

Over50Newbie