PDA

View Full Version : Thread Drift

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

Nanci
04-21-2006, 10:48 AM
I am probably the worst offender...

But how we handle it on my pigeon list is:

Racing Pigeons

Egg Buyer was Racing Pigeons

(Start a new thread with an appropriate name, that traces back to the original thread.)

Not saying we should do that- just that's how the mailing list stays in order.

Then- if we want to call a particular person's attention to a thread:

Racing Pigeons- Julie

I'm sorry I cause so much thread drift...

Does anyone want to see a picture of my turtle? ;-)

bikerz
04-21-2006, 11:17 AM
I love thread drift! It's what the real world is like!

It seems like managing it is a limitation in the computer-human interface - if only we could "map" out thread drift visually - like a road map or a flowchart - then a reader could drift with the thread, or navigate just to the posts that connect with solid lines....

(granted this is the only forum I paprticipate inexcept for searching nerdy programmer forums (fora?) for specific issues, and those NEVER have thread drift...)

Trek420
04-21-2006, 11:29 AM
Is that like continental drift?

On my "other" forum there's a Random thread that is just that, whatever comes to mind, random.

I have an annoying chin hair.

Are there tri-athlete racing pigeons? and do they have cute little racing pigeon jerseys with matching socks? :cool:

Lise
04-21-2006, 11:34 AM
Are there tri-athlete racing pigeons? and do they have cute little racing pigeon jerseys with matching socks? :cool:
But do they bog-snorkel? :rolleyes:

SadieKate
04-21-2006, 11:57 AM
I love thread drift except when we're trying to organize the herd of cats for a ride. It is so hard to get them all onto one bicycle.

Isn't it about time to mention food?

snapdragen
04-21-2006, 12:04 PM
Isn't it about time to mention food?

I had a cheeseburger and onions rings for lunch!!!

Veronica
04-21-2006, 12:24 PM
I made chocolate chip cookies and changed tires on Fluffy and Thom's bike while they were in the oven.

Thread drift amuses me.

V.

SadieKate
04-21-2006, 12:26 PM
I made chocolate chip cookies Mmm, you sure you don't want to ride "Bike Around the Buttes"?

Veronica
04-21-2006, 12:48 PM
Too flat. :D

You can join me on my century on Sunday though. My house to Morgan Territory, up Diablo, down Diablo, through Clayton and back to Antioch. I'll give you a cookie or two. :p

V.

SadieKate
04-21-2006, 12:53 PM
Oh, durn. I may be mountainbiking Sunday. I didn't get enough last week.

DirtDiva
04-21-2006, 05:09 PM
I would have about 30 posts to my name if it weren't for thread drift.

I went ten pin bowling tonight for the first time in eight years or so (and probably about the fifth time in my life). I lost, twice, and yes, I'd love to see pix of the turtle.

Lise
04-21-2006, 05:44 PM
tl, I thought of you today. Saw license plate on a car that read "Kiwi". :D

DirtDiva
04-21-2006, 06:15 PM
We're everywhere. :p Except, apparently, all tucked up in bed where we should have been as soon as we got home some 90+ minutes ago. :rolleyes:

KnottedYet
04-21-2006, 06:26 PM
Thread drift is good.

I wanna see a picture of the turtle, too!

I yank out my annoying chin hair, but it keeps growing back.

Trek420
04-21-2006, 07:15 PM
Veronica "changed tires on Fluffy and Thom's bike while they were in the oven."

Fluffy and Thom's bike were in the oven?!? :eek: :D ;)

Diva cup

I sense a disturbance in the force, Queen and her DP have moved West. wondering when she'll check in.

I ordered the Craft Mingo jacket from TE today. Now I have no more excuses.

Lise
04-21-2006, 07:23 PM
Veronica "changed tires on Fluffy and Thom's bike while they were in the oven."

Fluffy and Thom's bike were in the oven?!? :eek: :D ;)

What's impressive to me is that she changed the tires while they were in the oven! :eek:

Trek420
04-21-2006, 07:32 PM
Yes, that is impressive.

What's the weirdest place you've ever changed a tire?

I wonder what the eagle cam is doing? Sleeping probably.

Lise
04-21-2006, 07:42 PM
well, really, no where interesting. Just on the street. What was impressive was that it EXPLODED (this is the old found-in-the-garbage-and-rescued Schwinn). Loud explosion and flat as I was riding it. Many swear words at the top of my lungs. Didn't know the first thing about changing a tire, and I was now late for work, so I locked the bike to a sign post, took off the exploded front tire, and hoofed it to work. Took the tire to Sportmart after work and said, "what do I need to fix this?"

When I told the story later, a guy friend thought I was talking about my car, and that I had removed the tire and carried it to work. He was impressed. Not too bright, but impressed! :cool:

snapdragen
04-21-2006, 08:02 PM
My hair is currently about 2 inches long.

Trek420
04-21-2006, 08:51 PM
I've had a tire explode right in front of me on a ride, slime has a pleasant minty flavor.

Snap, my chin hair is longer than that, well not exactly.

On my MTB, tried to punp the rear tire and I can't move the valve cover, it won't turn. :mad: Can I be that weak? Off to do push ups.

KnottedYet
04-21-2006, 09:15 PM
The hair on my head used to be 1 or 2 inches long. (red spikes. very demure.) I'm growing it out, and now its almost to my ear lobes. Aiming for chin length. This is the longest it's been in YEARS. It was time for a change.

My chin hair, on the other hand, was recently yanked and is no-where to be seen.

My nose ring keeps turning itself around so the hooky-part is hanging out my nostril like a silver boogie. (not so demure)

crazycanuck
04-21-2006, 10:52 PM
I think i've gone mad..is that why i'm here on this board?

Did you know falling uphill is much more exciting than falling downhill..Only crazycanucks can master falling uphill though...

I'm getting annoyed with my chin hair...but nose hair is more annoying.

Oh btw Nanci..I thought about picking up snakes if i ever see one however you may never hear from me again if i did...Australia..land of the ever so friendly creatures that want to eat you,hop in front of your car or just inject venom into ya..

Trek420
04-22-2006, 05:01 AM
crazycanuck "Australia..land of the ever so friendly creatures that want to eat you,hop in front of your car or just inject venom into ya.."

....and then there's the animals!

I used to have bleached highlights, left temple only, assymetric haircut. Much more standard issue hair now.

Happy Earth Day TE:p :D and

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDYSUE

Nanci
04-23-2006, 02:02 PM
I'm back from my ride!! And I see you've left out my favorite topic, next to my pets- wine! I packed a bottle of low-alcohol Moscato d'Asti to enjoy while camping out pre-ride Friday night, but forgot my wine glass! The only possible solution was either my Polar bottle (would be like drinking wine out of a baby bottle!) or Dillbird's water-carrying bottle for in the car, which is a urine specimen cup...Which is what I chose! The wine was strangely urine colored, but luckily my new friends at the campsite didn't seem to be disgusted by it...

Nanci

DirtDiva
04-23-2006, 02:25 PM
I think any white wine could pass for urine-coloured in that vessel...

yellow
04-23-2006, 03:25 PM
I painted my toenails Shanghai Shimmer today, after skiing all morning/early afternoon and then going for a short mountain bike ride (OK, really short, as in to the park 8 blocks away and back).

Veronica
04-23-2006, 04:09 PM
Is that the park that's up the hill?

V.

yellow
04-23-2006, 04:41 PM
Is that the park that's up the hill?

V.
Oh no! Not that one! The one on the contour with my house!

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1/tasdan/Just%20for%20Fun/LindseyGardensPark.jpg

(Man, I love Google Earth!)

My legs were too shot for the OTHER park and I was riding about with a couple of acquaintances, one of which got a brand new bike yesterday. So it was more of a "test drive" for her.

KnottedYet
04-23-2006, 09:09 PM
I bought sexy new biking gloves today. Purple and gray. Two of my favorite colors.

I also bought a computer for the Dew. And ordered a Crank Bros Speed Lever.

Dew needs a name. I had a plastic Stitch on the handlebar (from Disney's Lilo and Stitch) but it fell off. Since it's a Kona, and is the color of Stitch, I'm thinkin' something along those lines. I've never been to Hawaii, but I grew up just outside Ferndale WA, where KonaBikes is based.

Got my nose ring to behave again. I'm sure y'all were waiting with bated breath to see how that turned out...

Lise
04-24-2006, 04:11 AM
Got my nose ring to behave again. I'm sure y'all were waiting with bated breath to see how that turned out...
What a relief! ;)

They used to play Lilo & Stitch incessantly at the public health clinic where I work. So I'm hearing Elvis songs + demented dialog all day, over and over. I finally rented the thing to see what was going on! Cute movie.

Trek420
04-24-2006, 04:40 AM
KnottedYet "it's a Kona....I grew up just outside Ferndale WA, where KonaBikes is based."

I suppose Mossbikes would not have the same ring to it ;) But wait, that's our weather here in CA.

"Got my nose ring to behave again."

It's a shame when good nose rings go bad. I wanted a tat' but was afraid I couldn't get it to stay put.

yellow
04-24-2006, 05:55 AM
I bought sexy new biking gloves today. Purple and gray. Two of my favorite colors.
OK, how are biking gloves sexy? Do they have a sheer back?

BTW, I love Stitch. He was sooooo evil, before he turned good. ;)

bikerz
04-24-2006, 08:26 AM
This thread is doing a remarkably good job on staying on the topic of thread drift! :p

I just put my new Selle SMP Strike TRK saddle on my bike (Slinkedog's famous "happy tushie" saddle) it looks a little goofy, but I'm looking forward to trying it out this week...

It's gray and freezing cold today, and threatening showers tomorrow. This weather is the pits. :mad: Those few sunny days were a total tease.

yellow
04-24-2006, 09:18 AM
It's gray and freezing cold today, and threatening showers tomorrow. This weather is the pits. :mad: Those few sunny days were a total tease.
Z, it's cloudy and icky here too today. Realllllllly nice Sat and mostly nice Sunday. Funny now that it's cloudy again, I'm INSTANTLY crabby and blue.

Here's hoping you get some nice weather so you can try out your new saddle.

DrBee
04-24-2006, 10:11 AM
We've had the opposite. Super sunny - which is good unless your fair-skinned as I am) and sweaty hot! It was around 90 and humid yesterday and today. Living is the south is good in the winter. You forget about how hot summer will be. Too bad we don't ever get a spring season. We go from winter straight into summer.

I don't have a long chin hair, but I have a really long hair on my right forearm - in and amongst the freckles.:)

Nanci
04-24-2006, 10:14 AM
Speaking of shoes, I ordered the 2005 Shimano Sandals. I hope they get here in time for Tour de Forts Sunday!! I hope I like riding in sandals! I can see the advantage in rain.

KnottedYet
04-25-2006, 06:30 AM
Last night (with the help of a large bottle of Red Hook Extra Special Bitter) I got the computer onto the Dew and got it calibrated, fixed the problem with my bar-end mirror, and re-re-readjusted my saddle.

Beer is brain food!

So this morning on my commute to work I will know exactly how SLOW I am and exactly how far it is. And my boss the totally hot bicycling goddess (I'm pretty darn sure that's her in those pics from the Daffodil ride in Open Topic) can stop telling me to fix my saddle as I wheel past her on my way to my parking spot in the back of the building!

Yes, I tried to adjust it last week. Yes, I totally goofed it up but I was gonna be late to work if I didn't leave RIGHT THEN. Important lesson learned: don't try to do fit adjustments as you are leaving to ride!
(do 'em with a bottle of beer in one hand instead! :D )

Nanci
04-25-2006, 06:37 AM
First egg due to hatch tomorrow!! Or possibly today! People are posting on the eagle forum that they have heard peeping from inside the egg, and chipping noises!! This morning, Mom looked like she was having a conversation with it- talking in very soothing tones.

Nanci

yellow
04-25-2006, 07:28 AM
I know that there are other bird cam posts hereabouts, but I kept forgetting to post this one (http://www.birds.cornell.edu/birdhouse/nestboxcam/), which I've been watching every year since its inception.

I really like the bluebirds. They will nest thru early June, if I remember correctly.

And this one (http://www.xcelenergy.com/XLWEB/CDA/0,3080,1-1-1_27620_17792-874-0_0_0-0,00.html)used to just do peregrine falcons, but they've been branching out over the last couple of years (cam links are on the left).

Nanci
04-25-2006, 08:43 AM
I'm spoiled- I only like streaming video now...

Nanci

Nanci
04-25-2006, 04:24 PM
With the attending on Grey's Anatomy that Intern Grey slept with in the first episode. He looks kind of like a younger, better-looking Sean Penn. I am really enjoying this series.

Nanci

Nanci
04-25-2006, 04:35 PM
So if there are no paper towels in the house, how am I supposed to dry off the mice that I am thawing in hot water? Toilet paper???

Nanci

Trek420
04-25-2006, 04:51 PM
Hair drier? They'd have nice fluffy fur :confused:

Veronica
04-25-2006, 04:53 PM
Do you have to dry them? How do they kill the mouse before it gets frozen?

V.

Nanci
04-25-2006, 05:23 PM
I don't want to know the answer to that question...

But, I want to go on record as saying, if I ever donate my organs, I want it to be a time of joy, not of sadness...

Nanci

Watching Grey's Anatomy, probably had one too many glasses of Sauvignon blanc...

Nanci
04-25-2006, 05:24 PM
PS, Maizey ate 'em both- dried to perfection with Puffs Plus.

Veronica
04-25-2006, 06:41 PM
Okay, just because I'm morbid and wanted to know... According to rodentpro.com they use CO2 to euthanize the mice. That makes sense, you want to be humane and you don't want something that will endanger the snake or whatever is having lunch. :D

V.

Lise
04-25-2006, 06:48 PM
Okay, just because I'm morbid and wanted to know... According to rodentpro.com they use CO2 to euthanize the mice. That makes sense, you want to be humane and you don't want something that will endanger the snake or whatever is having lunch. :D

V.
I always figured they gave 'em a good whack. Huh.

We should probably have an entire section on the board for "drift"! :o

Veronica
04-25-2006, 06:54 PM
I figured a whack would not fly with the humane police. :D Plus it wouldn't be very cost efficient to whack them individually. Can you imagine having that for a job?! Sadly, I think I actually have a few students who would think that was a cool job - Head Mouse Whacker. :(

V.

Trek420
04-25-2006, 07:09 PM
"Head Mouse Whacker. :("

looks good on the 1040EZ.

well, now I know what to do if attacked by mice on a ride, break out the CO2.

JoyfullySo
04-25-2006, 07:20 PM
I used to work with mice during a statistics class...
We were testing thier ability to learn/perform after having brain surgery.
I was the lucky person who got them out of the cages every day for 2 months and made them swim in a maze.

I don't want to go into great detail, but let it suffice to say that it was

N-A-S-T-Y!!!!!!!!!!!

So, really thread drift is like free associaton???

Lise
04-25-2006, 07:22 PM
I figured a whack would not fly with the humane police. :D Plus it wouldn't be very cost efficient to whack them individually. Can you imagine having that for a job?! Sadly, I think I actually have a few students who would think that was a cool job - Head Mouse Whacker. :(

V.
The cost efficient thing is true. The humane police--it's funny--you're killing them so snakes can eat them... makes me think of a scene in one of those two movies about the Dalai Lama that came out at the same time years ago, where the monks were frantically saving earth worms at a construction site.

I had little lizards as pets many years ago. They ate crickets. Occasionally a cricket would escape, and we'd have chirping throughout the house until it reached the end of its natural life. Fortunately, that's not very long! :p

Lise
04-25-2006, 07:24 PM
So, really thread drift is like free associaton???
And the best part is, this is the triathlon board. So I guess we've just scientifically proven who are the athletes with the loosest screws on the TE board! :p :eek: :rolleyes: :p

JoyfullySo
04-25-2006, 07:41 PM
aren't crickets good luck??

I don't have ADD- I am just misunderstood. Hey!!! Look at that chicken!!!

KnottedYet
04-25-2006, 08:29 PM
About 20 years ago I worked in a lab which used fresh mouse eggs. Like, really fresh. The researcher would take a live mouse and hold it on the table on its tummy, put her thumb on the back of the mouse's skull, wrap the mouse's tail around the index finger of her other hand, and....

Lets just say I think of her every time I pull a light switch cord or a ceiling fan cord.:eek:

KnottedYet
04-25-2006, 08:31 PM
My boss is the coolest boss ever. See the Daffodil ride thread in OT.

I am lovin' my job today.

No mice.

Trek420
04-25-2006, 08:36 PM
Lise "And the best part is, this is the triathlon board. So I guess we've just scientifically proven who are the athletes with the loosest screws on the TE board! :p :eek: :rolleyes: :p"

I was wondering about that, why it's here. So do we randomly move the thread drift to other sections from time to time?

KnottedYet
04-25-2006, 08:55 PM
But if we intend the move, is it random? On a quantum-mechanical string theory of the universe level, what IS random? What would Brian Greene do?

Speaking of books (yes, I was! Really!!) I'm reading "The Woman with the Alabaster Jar" by Margaret Starbird right now. Very interesting.

If I'm stretching my hamstrings while meandering through the TE boards, does that count as my triathlon workout for the day?

bikerz
04-25-2006, 10:09 PM
Anybody know why only tall people seem to have Sevens? I love the way Sevens look, but I have yet to see anyone of my height (and let's face it, diameter) on a Seven :( Does a short round gal stand a chance?

Nanci
04-26-2006, 01:47 AM
When I was a kid, my sister was in school out in Berkeley, and when I went to visit, I got a little cricket cage made out of bamboo or something, from China Town. I had a series of black crickets that lived in it. They ate dog food.

Now I have store-bought crickets that live in Russell Junior the Glass Lizard's tank, and they even reproduce a bit. They eat expensive store-bought Cricket cubes, that look kind of like orange Clif Bloks!

Nanci

crazycanuck
04-26-2006, 03:36 AM
Jimney cricket! I'm going to have to visit florida when i go home next...the plane ticket price....:eek:

(perth-singapore-vancouver-edmonton-calgary-new york(bro in ny state)-miami-arizona-van-....)

I like mice...can make a mickey out of them...!

c

Trek420
04-26-2006, 05:58 AM
bikerz

hmmm, never noticed that pattern.

I don't see why a short strong gal can't have a Seven, maybe start a trend :)

You've been to see Chris aintcha? It's that new bike smell.

I took some time off work this week, left work early yesterday, arriving late today just to de-stress a bit. Interviewed a dogwalker last night, she seems good. Anybody use a dog sitter? How do you and more important your dog like it?

Think I'll bike to work. I just got the umpteenth e-mail petition from a friend retired to Florida and it's always something to not buy gas on this day or that, or not buy gas from this co or that so I sent her a patiently worded response celebrate national bike to work week by:

trying a bike ride and or....

not hitting us, learn to see bikes ;-) see what happens.

yellow
04-26-2006, 07:32 AM
I love mountain biking! :)

(just had a really nice ride on the singletrack here in my neighborhood)

Z, I think tall people have Sevens because perhaps it's harder for them to find a stock bike that fits. On the group ride I did last weekend, there was a REALLY tall (as in close to 7') guy there with a Seven. He said it was really his only choice as his arms were much shorter in proportion to the rest of him (his legs are very long). The head tube on that bike was the longest I've ever seen. He said when he was ordering it Seven made the bike shop remeasure because they didn't believe it. The 700 wheels look tiny on his bike.

Get a Seven if you want. I want one too. Wonder if we could get a TE volume discount?? :p

bikerz
04-26-2006, 07:41 AM
When I first started riding, I didn't really "get" how people could be so enamored of specific bikes - I just thought - oh, look - a bike - it's blue or it's red. Then I saw a Seven on a ride in Marin and it really caught my eye (super tall guy riding it...) Since then, I always notice them. My LBS is a Seven reseller, and he gave me the catalog, and I look at it sometimes, and sigh... But I think I need to ride a couple more metrics and at least a full century (this summer or fall?) or two before I get another bike so I really understand how I ride. (oh yeah - and budget for it!)

I like the idea of a TE volume discount!

DrBee
04-26-2006, 09:47 AM
So Nanci - what's going on with the birds? I can't seem to get any video. It's too busy.

I have a good "stupid injury of the week" - smashed my back into the bottom rail of my daughter's top bunk after getting up from the bottom bunk after reading her bedtime story. Right across the spine - middle of my back. Big bruise, nice cut (size of nickel at least) and sore muscles. Ouch - I'm out of commission for today at least. :(

DirtDiva
04-26-2006, 09:48 AM
It's funny that, eh? There are plenty of bikes I'll look at and go "Ooo... Nice." Then every so often I'll see something that just makes me go "I WANNA RIDE IT!!!!!" :D

tamara_69
04-26-2006, 09:51 AM
Sorry to hear about your "stupid" injury. Bunkbeds are dangerous for all sorts of reasons, I guess!

DrBee
04-26-2006, 09:55 AM
My daughter (age 4) only sleeps in the top bunk. She used to nap (no long naps) on the bottom only. Wierd. I'd like to take it and throw it out the window at the moment (the bed, not my daughter). I'm walking around like a slug. I'm usually a bit more like a hummingbird - or so Mr. Fish says. I have issues with sitting still :)

SadieKate
04-26-2006, 10:16 AM
It's funny that, eh? There are plenty of bikes I'll look at and go "Ooo... Nice." Then every so often I'll see something that just makes me go "I WANNA RIDE IT!!!!!" :DMe, two!!

I think if you start to look around at all custom bikes you'll see that a lot of tall people have them as well as the other extreme. Around here, you see a lot of short women on Steve Rex, a local Sacramento builder (think Steph or Terri, yellow, one of 'em has one). Also, people who don't fit production bikes for many reasons - torso to leg length ratio is far off average, back, neck or hip issues, etc. etc. My friend, Candy, is a novice rider and we took her in for a fitting. The production frames just weren't right and she's about 5'7", a very avg height. Joe fitted her up with an all steel Seven with 105 components for not a huge amount of money and she just rode her PB this weekend, 40 miles at the Bike Around the Buttes, and I think she's been very comfy from day 1. The issues she relates have more to do with not riding much than the bike.

I think those people at either end of the height spectrum will be driven to a custom bike sooner than the rest of us but those of us in the middle could be well-served by custom fit and the custom tubesets.

Bubba could fit a production bike, but has been lusting after a Seven for years and years. The ride characteristics of the steel and carbon combo were intriguing and he wanted the front end higher than many production bikes now have without the compact geometry. Old school purists tend to prefer a horizontal top tube from an aesthetic point of view (not anything about the functionality). What many people also don't realize is that Seven keeps many, many different tubing sets in stock so they can tune the ride, so to speak, as you wish. You want incredibly stiff and to heck with comfort? You got it. You want stiff enough for efficiency but compliant for a day in the saddle? You got it. You're a little rider? Lightweighter tubes than those used for Bubba's frame. So many reasons to go custom.

BikerZ, if you are serious about wanting a Seven sometime in the next year or so, you should come up for a ride and spend some time at Wheelworks. You may even want to set an appt with Joe for a full fitting. A bike like this can take a lot of planning and fitting. Maybe the cost of a fitting will be credited back. I don't know. Do shops do that? I'll go with you and provide the peppermint mocha delivery service.;)

maillotpois
04-26-2006, 10:22 AM
I'm back from my ride!! And I see you've left out my favorite topic, next to my pets- wine! I packed a bottle of low-alcohol Moscato d'Asti to enjoy while camping out pre-ride Friday night, but forgot my wine glass! The only possible solution was either my Polar bottle (would be like drinking wine out of a baby bottle!) or Dillbird's water-carrying bottle for in the car, which is a urine specimen cup...Which is what I chose! The wine was strangely urine colored, but luckily my new friends at the campsite didn't seem to be disgusted by it...

Nanci

OMG I love that wine - it has the bottle with the little bug drinking out of a straw. That is a happy wine. I shall have to have some.

DirtDiva
04-26-2006, 10:53 AM
They're all happy wines until you wake up dehydrated. ;)

Trek420
04-26-2006, 10:55 AM
SadieKate "A bike like this can take a lot of planning and fitting. Maybe the cost of a fitting will be credited back. I don't know. Do shops do that? I'll go with you and provide the peppermint mocha delivery service.;)"

SK, I know that Chris and Tim at Robinson Wheelworks "throw in" the custom fit and more. They did that on my custom bike, and the "customised" i rode before. Plus 7 has their whole interview/fit process right? So all their bikes are full custom. Sabrinos coffee shop is next door to Chris but... I have never been provided peppermint mocha delivery service.

May have to complain to the LBS owner.

SadieKate
04-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Sure, the fitting is thrown in if you're committing to buying a bike right there and then, but if you're just looking for consultation for the future with no commitment to buy from that shop, no, and I can't imagine asking a shop to do that.

Yes, Seven has their whole process but I can tell you from experience and from others' experience you need your LBS to do the fit. They can see you on a fit bike; Seven cannot.

Trek, I wasn't under the impression that your Mondonico frame was custom built. I thought that was a production frame with the parts custom spec'd. Or are you referring to a different bike?

DirtDiva
04-26-2006, 01:36 PM
We've got a whole thread to talk about anything and everything in, and what do we end up gabbing about? Bikes! :rolleyes: ;) :p

Trek420
04-26-2006, 01:54 PM
stop this right now :D

SK, I got to meet with "Chairman Bill", Antonio Mondonico, and Antonio's son, had him measure me, he reccomended the parts and stuff...it was so much fun. He's retired now but I think his son will still travel to the US every other year or so and if you happen to be around, and want a Mondonico or Torelli can get it cutom measured.

Otherwise it's off the rack or go to Italy ... which would not be a bad idea, going to Italy that is.

Stop talking about bikes here!!!

Lise
04-26-2006, 03:52 PM
Pretzels? Corn tings? Pirate booty? Nothing?! I am reduced to making microwave popcorn! I have eaten all my other salty snax! Shelves filled with sweet stuff, untouched by me!

(Thought I'd get us off that bizarre bike theme :p )

You know you really prefer the biking when you go for a run and are jealous of everybody on a bike. I was going to ride to work this morning, but it was 33 degrees when I got up. Bah, humbug on the midwest. Warmed up beautifully--next week starts bike to work season for me.

Nanci
04-26-2006, 04:19 PM
I bet there's good wine in Italy. i have a 1998 bottle of Barolo, but I amafraid to open it.

Nanci

snapdragen
04-26-2006, 04:39 PM
I bet there's good wine in Italy. i have a 1998 bottle of Barolo, but I amafraid to open it.

Nanci

I had a Barolo once, but I can't remember who it was made by - YUM!

yellow
04-26-2006, 05:48 PM
...and a segue into food.

My new job is going to kill me! :eek: :eek: They made me take home three leftover choclate easter eggs today (marshmallow, caramel, and orange cream). I hope hubby gets home soon...otherwise I may have to drive somewhere and throw them off a bridge! I don't like chocolate! At least that's how it USED to be.

They also force-fed me caramel today when I was doing some dishes. Just walked up to me and put it in my mouth while my hands were sudsy. I think it was the best caramel I've ever had...had pecans in it. But now my tummy hurts.

Trek420
04-26-2006, 06:02 PM
Lise has "shelves filled with sweet stuff, untouched by me!"

could always salt it, or drench in soy sauce.

Brina
04-26-2006, 06:08 PM

Nanci

talking wine of a bike forum - you are bringing back memories of the bike tour dh I did in Tuscany. I remember wobbling down a road in Greve at about 10:30am after barrel tasting Chiantia Classico Reserve

Nanci
04-27-2006, 01:53 AM
Oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..............

Last night we watched Sideways and drank Pinot Noir, two Rieslings and Moscato.

Trek420
04-27-2006, 04:22 AM
oooooh, I watched KQED performence of South Pacific and ate Trader Joes Jo Jo's.

Whatcha doin' right now?

maillotpois
04-27-2006, 04:25 AM
[
Oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..............

Last night we watched Sideways and drank Pinot Noir, two Rieslings and Moscato.

unfair!!! seriously, you should see all the wineries we ride through. it's too much. I don't like the idea of riding and wine tasting (2 great activities each best enjoyed alone), but it really makes you cut your ride short. at about mile 170 Saturday, one was having a port tasting.....

Veronica
04-27-2006, 04:57 AM
I'm multitasking right now - drinking coffee, doing laundry, writing this, pondering what to do about some coworkers who tick me off...

What do you do when a committee member does none of the work, but is always suggesting that we do rather grandiose things...

Our school disaster plan has me on the search and rescue team. I get to have a crow bar. Maybe I should practice mouse whacking on her...

V.

yellow
04-27-2006, 05:17 AM
I'm multitasking right now - drinking coffee, doing laundry, writing this, pondering what to do about some coworkers who tick me off...

What do you do when a committee member does none of the work, but is always suggesting that we do rather grandiose things...

Our school disaster plan has me on the search and rescue team. I get to have a crow bar. Maybe I should practice mouse whacking on her...

V.
Control, V. Use the crowbar as it was intended to be used.

I'm sure you've already done this, but next time she has an "idea" for something that isn't critical, delicately put her in charge. If it never gets done, then, well...who is to balme? And if that doesn't work, then you can use the crowbar. :p

Nanci
04-27-2006, 05:28 AM
I'm waiting for a doctor we can't locate. Pt was 30 minutes early, and now the doc is 30 minutes late for the appt.

I'm watching the eagles. It's raining.

I'm wearing my new 2005 Shimano sandals at work to break them in a little before their first ride Saturday, 30-40 miles on a paved trail. They are not as comfortable for walking as Birks, but other than that very cool.

Nanci

Trek420
04-27-2006, 05:29 AM
maillotpois and TE ,

Was just thinking only on TE do you hear "cut your ride short" and "at about mile 170" in the same sentence.

Must....stop...talking...about....bikes...in thread drift.

V hmmm, I'm on the safety team at work, don't think we have a crowbar. We do have hatchets with those wedge pry-bar thingies on them in the emergency supply rooms on each floor which could work as well for committee members.

V and 510 area TE gals, we put together a pretty exhaustive list of emergency POTS (Plain Ol' Telephone Service ie as opposed to 911) numbers in 510 area code for our committee.

When (not if) the big one hits 911 will/not might be down or overwhelmed for some time. You will/not might want the direct dial numbers to police/fire/medical. Remind me to PM you or I can post here if enough interest.

TE gals in huricane/tornado/earthquake prone areas, I hate to put my phone co. hat on when off work but in a major emergency stay the f*^% ing bleep off the phone unless it truly is a life threatening emergency. Both the POTS and cell network are not meant to handle everyone picking up the phone at once. If you simply must call, if you pick up the phone and there is no dial tone or poor or slow dial tone DO NOT HANG UP. Keep the phone on and up to your little shell-like ear and the dial tone may come on in a moment or two, then make your 1 (one) call see below.

So an essential part of your plan is a family/school/office emergency contact preferably out of your area. So when you are able to call and hopefully let that person know you or your family/school/office are ok ...or not.

That person has the contacts to notify others that you or your family/school/office are ok ... or not. Lines in your area may alllllllllll be down. Your cousin in Peoria, not so much. OK?

I'm in your area code, you want it? Remind me if I don't get that to ya by Friday ok?

Veronica
04-27-2006, 05:42 AM
Thanks - that's a good idea. I'm actually in 925, not 510.

I need to have a kid. As a Public Employee, I must stay on the scene if there is an emergency/disaster. Workers will be released based on their need. Gee... no kids, aging parents on the OTHER coast. Who gets to stay to the bloody end... moi. All because I chose to not add to the surplus population and to live far away from my relatives.

Yes, I know it totally makes sense that we do it that way. But we've got a lot of new mothers on staff... Geez they got a party, they don't have stay if there's a disaster, all 'cause they chose to reproduce. :D

V.

SadieKate
04-27-2006, 05:46 AM
V, I remember "in the old days" when I finally had to explain to a boss that he could not expect me to put in more over time because I did not have a child or that approvals for vacation/time off could not be based on whether the employee had a child. My kudos to everyone who has children but they're not for everyone and we are not lesser beings because of it. Ah, well, he was an alcoholic jerk.

DirtDiva
04-27-2006, 06:22 AM
It's all part of the Tri Girls evil plan to make us Mere Mortals spend more time in here so that we catch some of their infectious enthusiasm. They want us sitting in front of our computers thinking:

Hmmm... I could swim 1500m... I'm sure I could do it without a rest in the middle if I trained for it rather than just going down to the pool from time to time... I could probably even do it in a decent time if I had some coaching to work on my form... I know I could ride 40km, 'specially if I had a shiny, svelte little road bike (preferably in go-faster red or stealthy black)... I hate running quite passionately, but I suppose I could learn to run 10km if I worked really hard...

The Tri Girls seed of insanity (the good kind) is resolutely planted, and eventually, said Mere Mortal takes herself off for a 20/25-odd minute run around the docks (or other handy course of three-and-a-bit kilometres/just over two miles). Mere Mortal is astonished to find that she could not only run the whole way, but could probably have run further. Even more gob-smacking is the fact that, whilst not fun per se, Mere Mortal found the experience to be somewhat enjoyable - albeit in a masochistic way - and something she is not uninterested in repeating.

:eek: :eek: :eek: SAVE ME!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Trek420
04-27-2006, 07:25 AM
V, from my safety commitee to yours, maybe they will let you go home now?

all these numbers are in the 510 area code unless otherwise noted. Please double check for accuracy, number can change ya' know.

East Bay Area region general information:
News stations both radio and TV
Caltrans 800-427-7623 or 286-4444
CHP 800-427-7623 or 450-3821
AC Transit 891-4700 or 891-4777
Sheriff's Office 667-7721

Oakland general information:
Fire Dept. 444-1616
Fire Prevention 238-3851
Police Dept. 238-3455 Community Resource ofcr 238-3066
Public Works 615-5577 or 615-5566

Other communities for road conditions getting home:
Police Departments
Alameda 337-8340
Albany 525-7300
Berkeley 981-5900
El Cerrito 237-3233
Emeryville 596-3700
Fremont 790-6800
Hayward 293-7000
Newark 793-1400
Piedmont 420-3000
San Leandro 577-3201
Union City 471-1365

maillotpois
04-27-2006, 08:00 AM
I feel so deficient. I have neither a crow bar now a hachet. I do have a hard hat. Sometimes I wear it when I am feeling a little vulnerable.

Thanks for the great info and resources, Trek. Being in the Oakland area (where my office is when I care enough to show up - which isn't all that often just now....), I will note those #s down.

World's loudest subtenant is in the conference room next door to me. Grr. I am blasting Louis Armstrong and feeling much better.

Lise
04-27-2006, 08:25 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: SAVE ME!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
Bwahahahahahaha! Our evil plan is revealed! Yet you are helpless to resist it! Resistance is futile! You will be asimilated! Bwahahahaha! We will all fly to NZ to cheer for you at IMNZ! Tri-kiwi!!! :p :p :p

SadieKate
04-27-2006, 08:29 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: SAVE ME!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:Ok, just participate in a tri as the bike person. There, done. You are a tri-girl and no running or swimming involved.

Lise
04-27-2006, 08:30 AM
I feel so deficient. I have neither a crow bar now a hachet. I do have a hard hat. Sometimes I wear it when I am feeling a little vulnerable.
You wanna know what they gave us at the hospital just in case January 1, 2000 really was the end of the world?

A flashlight. And a bell. Like at a store counter. ONE flashlight and ONE bell for the entire labor and delivery floor. I guess there could be one baby born at a time. :p

I don't have a hardhat. Or a crowbar. or...what was the other thing? A hatchet! Those sound like very useful items! I have a lot of "gestational wheels", with which I can tell you when your due date is, as the world is ending. Also, I have...well, a hammer. Some screwdrivers. Two gallons of water from 2001. I've lugged them from one apt to the next. Those gallons of water ARE my emergency supplies! I'll stay off the phone and quietly sip my water if the end comes anytime soon.

Up all night, going to bed now. Try to control yourselves. What am I saying?!? Go wild! More fun to read when I get up! :D

bikerz
04-27-2006, 08:36 AM
I have the best PLANNED earthquake kit in the world (insomnia is so useful for so many things!) but it has yet to magically materialize.

And where do I live? Smack on the Hayward fault (well, within about a half a mile...) And where do I work? Downtown SF...

And now I am realizing how I could have been productively using all those rainy weekend days - at REI, Target and Home Depot, putting my EQ kit together. :o

DrBee
04-27-2006, 09:36 AM
V and SK - When I was doing my postdoc in SC, my boss actually told me that for women in academia to get pregnant was a bad career move. Little did he know that I was pregnant at the time. 2 months later I left working in his lab and took a job as a gov't scientist.

Have any of you seen the aftermath of a microwave blowing up a frappacino? It's quite amazing!

And tlkiwi - I think their evil plan is working. I'm now shopping for running shoes!!! Noooooooo! Save me!

maillotpois
04-27-2006, 11:12 AM
V and SK - When I was doing my postdoc in SC, my boss actually told me that for women in academia to get pregnant was a bad career move. Little did he know that I was pregnant at the time. 2 months later I left working in his lab and took a job as a gov't scientist.

Have any of you seen the aftermath of a microwave blowing up a frappacino? It's quite amazing!

And tlkiwi - I think their evil plan is working. I'm now shopping for running shoes!!! Noooooooo! Save me!

I had to find a job when I was pregnant. That was tough - and really gave me a lot of loyalty to the firm that hired me (5 months pregnant).

Have not seen miicro-frapuccino but our microwave died a few weeks ago and we've been without which is tough when you get dependent on it.

Ah - Fish!! Fish Dr.! I come home from spinning this morning and my daughter is in the kitchen crying her eyes out because one of her fish just died. So SAD!!! All she wanted for her b-day was a betta fish - so she ended up getting a 10 gal. tank and a betta, 3 tetras and a little catfish. The little catfish didn't make it. So DH put him(?) in the freezer and I guess we'll bury him. Sigh!

Trek420
04-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Lise "I have a lot of "gestational wheels", with which I can tell you when your due date is, as the world is ending."

Well, here in earthquake land if we're all stuck at home for who knows how long those gestational wheels could come in handy to predict the baby boom.

Or play parlour games while waiting for FEMA of figuring out "ok, my birthday's March 27th, when was I concieved?"

Oh, that's just ewww.

I have in the storage shed: much water, rotated every 6 months, at least I try to do that, uhm, canned foods, but the can opener would probably be indoors underneath in the collapsed condo..gotta whistle, tarps, whoafully inadequate first aid kit...lost the hand cranked coffee grinder in the "divorce", dayuhm :p ;) Gotta get another one of those.

DrBee
04-27-2006, 11:51 AM
I know what you mean about loyalty. My boss was so wonderful when I had to tell him I was pregnant (3 months) on my 2nd day of work. He's since left here and I'm thinking about relocating to Maine to work with him again (same agency, just different location). Let's see - MS vs Maine...

Poor fish, poor daughter, and poor you. Usually most kinds of catfish are pretty durable. Give your daughter a hug for me. That's so sad.

The microwave door blew open and this powdered frappacino (never heard of it before that) was plastered on the walls, ceiling, and floor in about a 6-8ft radius. Later in the day, after being cleaned by the poor college student who was making the drink, it started smoking. Very very bad smell - permeated the entire building. Ick. Now we are microwaveless. I like to bring leftovers. Today I had a sandwich and yogurt. Not bad, but I could've had pineapple chicken.

maillotpois
04-27-2006, 12:47 PM
I know what you mean about loyalty. My boss was so wonderful when I had to tell him I was pregnant (3 months) on my 2nd day of work. He's since left here and I'm thinking about relocating to Maine to work with him again (same agency, just different location). Let's see - MS vs Maine...

Poor fish, poor daughter, and poor you. Usually most kinds of catfish are pretty durable. Give your daughter a hug for me. That's so sad.

The microwave door blew open and this powdered frappacino (never heard of it before that) was plastered on the walls, ceiling, and floor in about a 6-8ft radius. Later in the day, after being cleaned by the poor college student who was making the drink, it started smoking. Very very bad smell - permeated the entire building. Ick. Now we are microwaveless. I like to bring leftovers. Today I had a sandwich and yogurt. Not bad, but I could've had pineapple chicken.

Hey Maine's great! (I went to college there and my mom lives there now.)

I thought catfish were fairly durable. And that's what she kept saying "I chose fish I thought would live a long time." Oh the humanity. Well, I will go back to LFS and get another one probably.

How's your back??

Brina
04-27-2006, 01:04 PM

I thought catfish were fairly durable. And that's what she kept saying "I chose fish I thought would live a long time." Oh the humanity. Well, I will go back to LFS and get another one probably.

How's your back??

we can't keep a fish alive past 6 days. We have tried twice. Everyone I know says it is impossible to kell a beta. Well, we did it. Twice

DirtDiva
04-27-2006, 01:45 PM
You wanna see something really cool happen to a microwave? Stick an unopened tin of paint in there for a while... :D

Sorry to hear about minimaillot's fish. :(

Lise
04-27-2006, 01:52 PM
You wanna see something really cool happen to a microwave? Stick an unopened tin of paint in there for a while... :D

Sorry to hear about minimaillot's fish. :(
You guys are scary. Back awaaaaay from the microwave....:eek:

I loved the catfish my ex and I had in a 55 gallon tank, along with a butt-load of other fish. The catfish was sturdy. Maybe you just got a "bad" one. Does LFS have any kind of guarantee?

L.

DrBee
04-27-2006, 02:03 PM

How's your back??

I've had my heart set on Maine for a couple of years now - I'm waiting for them to build the building!!! They've started pouring concrete, so I'm hoping to be relocating within 2 years (congress has to fund the positions first). I have a great job here, just don't particularly like much else about MS. Soon.... I hope....

I would suggest to try again with the catfish. They are quite sturdy (as Lise said). I work with channel catfish - disease resistance of all things.

Thanks for asking about my back. I'm up to about 3/4 speed now. I was at 1/2 speed this morning. Slowly approaching hummingbird again. Hopefully tomorrow - before the rain starts. I'm still on my search for sunglasses and my latest attempt arrived in the mail today - only I'm too sore to get out on the bike and test them out.:( They feel good in the house, though. Tifosi Slip. We'll see.

Way scary on the paint can in the microwave. I don't think I'll try that. Might make for some nice abstract art, though. Very scary.

DirtDiva
04-27-2006, 02:41 PM
I haven't tried that one in person, but there's enough eight-year-old boy in me to think blowing stuff up like that is way cool. :cool: :p :D

Veronica
04-27-2006, 02:54 PM
Where in Maine fishdr? I grew up there. Most of the family is still there.

V.

maillotpois
04-27-2006, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the condolences. The freezer is accepting visitors...

We got a "mountain loach" the speediest little cheetah-looking thing ever and a snail. Nice contrast.

That microwaving of paint sounds a bit scary... but fun. I won't tell DH. He almost burned the neighbor's garage down as a kid.

DrBee
04-27-2006, 03:45 PM
We're building 2 facilities - one in Franklin and one in Orono. I will likely be in Franklin - at least at first. That is the first building they are working on. Orono is just in the planning stages still.

KnottedYet
04-27-2006, 08:54 PM
Phuque.

Went to the doc today. This time last year she said she thought I had multiple sclerosis and gave me a referral to a neuro doc.

I didn't want MS so I tossed the referral. If ya don't go to the neurologist, ya don't have MS, right?

Besides, if I have MS, my s. o. will leave me, and then I'd have MS and no Ms. Which is not a good trade in my mind.

This year the doc said the same thing, only louder and with the caveat that it could be my (previously vanquished) cancer has meandered into my brain for a change of scenery.

I'm having enough trouble that I gave in. So, I'm sneaking off for a brain MRI on the sly on Monday. (wonder if they'll find anything. ha ha ha)

And what really sticks in my craw is that I was PLANNING to spend my tax return on Speedplay Frogs, not two dang mess-with-my-atoms'-spin and irradiate-me-with-iodine-dye while I have claustrophobic-panic-attacks MRI's.

Poop.

SadieKate
04-27-2006, 09:22 PM
Went to the doc today. This time last year she said she thought I had multiple sclerosis and gave me a referral to a neuro doc.

I didn't want MS so I tossed the referral. If ya don't go to the neurologist, ya don't have MS, right?

Besides, if I have MS, my s. o. will leave me, and then I'd have MS and no Ms. Which is not a good trade in my mind.Huh?

I understand you are scared, but huh? If the SO won't stay around because of a MS diagnosis you don't need the SO(maybe B). MS has so many faces and no guarantees.

Nanci
04-28-2006, 01:54 AM
At least you'll know. I'm sure it's been hovering over you for the last year, anyway. Better to know for sure, so you can take action.

Nanci

DrBee
04-28-2006, 04:11 AM
We'll be here if you need us for moral support. Good luck with the MRI. It's better to know and deal with it then it is to not know and let it pester you.

DirtDiva
04-28-2006, 04:49 AM
{{{KnottedYet}}} That sucks. :mad: If the Ms. would leave because of MS, then the Ms. deserves a good hard push down the steps as she goes. I can't imagine having had that hanging over me for a year. I've had an MRI. It wasn't too bad (mind you, it was only to rule out some of the more obscure causes of hearing loss, so I wasn't particularly woried about scary diagnoses). I could see a little bit of the outside world over my feet, which was very reassuring. Kinda noisy in there though, and bloody difficult to keep still. If you're really worried about it, don't eat for a couple of hours before you go and ask for some happy juice - it's a hospital, they'll have something! Alas, I can't give you any reassurance about the cost. My Dad's a radiologist; I got a freebie. :rolleyes:

Trek420
04-28-2006, 05:02 AM
Knottedyet ((((((hugs)))))) so sorry about this. But better to know right away, both the diagnosis and the inSO. Don't make me come up there and beat someone up (JK TE gals).

bikerz
04-28-2006, 06:15 AM
Knotted yet - hang in there! I agree with the others - knowing is better - for me, the "not knowing" space gets filled up with all the worst case scenarios my feverish little brain can think of, but once I know, the feverish brain can starts woking on concrate plans...

Your friends will be there for support (IRL and here on TE), and as for the SO - well - maybe she'll surprise you (and herself!).

Tawe very good care, and let us know how it goes.

KnottedYet
04-28-2006, 06:33 AM
Thanks guys! I'm feeling much saner this morning... which is a relative thing, but hey! :D

And yes, my feverish little brain was thinking up some Spielberg-worthy disasters all night long. (the s. o. issue is real, however. could get interesting.)

One of my biking buddies launched into a HILARIOUS discription of how she was gonna drag my sorry butt around in a wheelchair as I decline, and I laughed so hard I was snorting into the phone.

My bike goddess boss was teasing me that at least now I'd have an excuse for being such a dingbat.

Bikers are cool!

(((((((all you folks))))))))

Nanci
04-28-2006, 06:43 AM
Well, several people have completed Ironmans with MS- there's a guy who just did last year, and I cannot think of his name! Wasn't even a triathlete before.

Nanci

SadieKate
04-28-2006, 06:48 AM
I'm glad you're feeling perkier now but as you go through these tests remember that MS is different for everyone. There is no guarantee of a chair. The dingbat part might apply to me at times, but I don't ever plan on being in wheelchair. You'd be amazed at the hale and hearty people around you with MS, right here on this forum.

You have plenty of time to read up on MS or PM me if you have questions. I'm in better shape than most of my non-MS family and friends.

Teri Garr, from Speed Bumps:
I don't do well when forced to look at the dark side; who does? I do try to live in the light. I've always been that way. As Shakespeare said, "There is nothing good or bad, but thinking makes it so.

SadieKate
04-28-2006, 06:52 AM
http://www.teambiogenidec.com/bios_lpeck.html
http://www.teambiogenidec.com/bios_lsmith.html

Pax
04-28-2006, 07:20 AM
(((((((hugs/positive vibes)))))) to ya Knotted! I used to play a little wheelchair basketball with Jean Driscoll (Boston Marathon winner) and she kicked my able-bodied butt routinely.

Drift...Living in Tucson now and it ROCKS!!!!!!!!

maillotpois
04-28-2006, 07:23 AM
The dingbat part might apply to me at times.....

You so don't need MS for that to apply. Unless maybe I have it as well. Hmm. :rolleyes:

Trek420
04-28-2006, 07:30 AM
is being a dingbat an early symptom? oh dear. :( bodes badly for me too.

biked to work today, ran into C. at the BART station, she's a gal I once dated. It was actually quite nice, we've stayed good friends. Found we're better at that. It was good to see her and it would not have happened but for the bike.

Nanci
04-28-2006, 07:31 AM
Queen, you're only 135 miles from Iron Mommy! Practically neighbors! Luckies!!

Trek420
04-28-2006, 09:32 AM
Queen, you could ride there! or meet halfway?

DirtDiva
04-28-2006, 09:34 AM
Bloody hell. I went for a 3.8km run today. :rolleyes: (I love Gmaps Pedometer.)

Pleased to hear Tucson is rocking, Queen. I was wondering where you'd been - had kinda forgotten about the whole moving thing. :p

Pax
04-28-2006, 09:58 AM
Queen, you could ride there! or meet halfway?
BWAAAAHAAAAAA... aren't you the funny one! Since I've ridden about 25 miles at one time ONCE I don't think I'm quite up to 65+ miles. :p

DirtDiva
04-28-2006, 10:04 AM
You could make it a three day tour to Middle of Nowhere, AZ. :D

Trek420
04-28-2006, 11:16 AM
yes, I am the funny one, thank you! :)

But before wasn't your excuse that there was nothing to see?

Nanci
04-28-2006, 11:31 AM
I'd totally ride 70 miles to meet someone halfway! That'd be so exciting!!

SadieKate
04-28-2006, 11:34 AM
How do you only meet half a person?

Nanci
04-28-2006, 11:52 AM
I guess it'd be a 135 mile round trip, though. Didn't think of that. That's a little far...

Trek420
04-28-2006, 11:55 AM
which half pedals out to meet you? should I divide myself along the vertical or horizontal line?

and is there chocolate at the meeting point?

Oh stop this, now I'm humming "All of me, why not take all of me?" in the background.

SadieKate
04-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Send the half that will share the chocolate.

jobob
04-28-2006, 12:23 PM
I'm in better shape than most of my non-MS family and friends.
I can totally vouch for that! :D

DrBee
04-28-2006, 12:29 PM
135 miles rt seems like a long way

Why is it that everytime I watch the eagle that he's laying down. I never get to see the eggs!

Trek420
04-28-2006, 02:04 PM
SadieKate "Send the half that will share the chocolate"

Of course! the other half never leaves sight of the chocolate.

Nanci
04-28-2006, 02:10 PM
You're right. Eagles are so lazy. All they ever do is lie there!

DrBee
04-28-2006, 02:12 PM
It's hard to believe they snag a fish without effort. Maybe they are just resting up ;)

KnottedYet
04-28-2006, 02:41 PM
Went to my friendly local body piercer (Top Tattoo in Shoreline WA) to get my nose ring adjusted. It was set up loose when I was pierced to give room for swelling and healing. Darn thing's been spinning around on me and irritating the heck out of my dainty nostril. A good sign, actually.

The dude took the ring out and it HURT. Worse than getting pierced! He bent it a bit and put it back in and it HURT AGAIN. Dang!

Now I gotta do my salt water soaks, and hope I can get it in and out by myself on Monday. (no metal in the MRI)

Rather ironic, as the nose-pierce was my celebration of 10 years cancer free.

I gave piercer dude (who had a cute baby-**** assistant) $5. His time and knowlege are valuable to me. So, how much to tip if he has to put the ring back in for me on Monday? What is the etiquette here?

WWMMD? (What would Miss Manners do?)

And do we have baby eagles yet?

KnottedYet
04-28-2006, 02:52 PM
Whoa! I got censored! I didn't type those ****.

Very strange. I mean, if you're not Greek and from the Isle of Lesbos, what word DO you use?

I ain't Greek.

OK, she was "baby-Sapphic".

Piercer dude talked me out of buying a hoop shaped ring for my nose, cuz the piercing is so high up (due to the cartilage) that I'd need a HUGE ring to reach around the cartilage of my schnoz. Genetics has precluded my frolicking in the wonderful world of hoops!

But nose-bones and spikes, well...

Ah, the saga continues.

Nanci
04-28-2006, 03:37 PM
Hmmm, I didn't know **** was a bad word. I wonder if you used an incorrect spelling if it would have gotten *ed. I wonder if the *ing is automatic?

Anyway, I was thinking the baby-**** was a male, so I'm glad you had to restate that.

Could you sue a titanium or niobium dealy in your nose? I'm allergic to nickel, which is in practically everything, so I'm limited to that, or PTFE.

I don't believe we are all going to die from Teflon poisoning.

I think the lazy eagles eat a lot of carrion.

And why is mom so hot all the time? Isn't the temp like 50F or something??

Veronica
04-28-2006, 03:50 PM
I'm still stumped on what the bad word is!

V.

Nanci
04-28-2006, 03:56 PM
If I'm right, it rhymes with bike!

Veronica
04-28-2006, 04:00 PM
Thanks! I hate being clueless. Probably gets censored because some people would find it offensive - not the folks in Holland though.

Have you seen the brown paper bag covering some socks here at TE?

V.

Pax
04-28-2006, 04:02 PM
If I'm right, it rhymes with bike!
Wouldn't that be "byke"? :D

I think I might manage to ride about 10 miles right now...did you know there's hills here?? :eek: And the roads are all wiggly/curvy, will someone come pull me outta the cactus when I go flinging off into space while NOT paying attention. :p

Nanci
04-28-2006, 04:03 PM
Right, those probably wouldn't be censored if they didn't have that name...

KnottedYet
04-28-2006, 05:52 PM
"Still stumped on the bad word"

I'm sure it was automatically censored. It was dee why kay ee.

The term baby-**** is used affectionatly by those of us who remember how horribly difficult it was (or impossible) to be "out" when we were teenagers, when we are describing a teenager of today's more permissive society.

Trek420
04-28-2006, 06:24 PM
Queen "Wouldn't that be "byke"? :D"

does that make me a dike on byke? :confused: around here we've used "bats for the other team" so I never knew about the *'s, or could use the ever popular "she wears sensible shoes". :)

Are Sidis sensible? If they are I want 'em.

How're we going to talk about flooding on the Danube now?

Don't worry knotted, think it won't let you call anyone Richard Head either for example.

wondering if friendly local body piercer can be abrivieted as friendly LBP? :confused:

Ah, kids these days, sounds of Trek feebly tottering over "you kids have it so easy. Why back in my day when I was your age, had to ride 130 miles through the snow to watch Ellen, and we could only watch her in a paper bag in the middle of the road..." Not to make light of it, was pretty difficult when I was a kid, still is some places...

Drifting back to your normal random thread....

KnottedYet
04-28-2006, 07:22 PM
Yo, sugar, isn't "dike on a byke" what it says in yer profile?:D

When I had a BikeE, I went by the monniker "DykeE on a BikeE"

Now, the only thing I can think of that makes a nice rhyme with "Kona" just doesn't work. Eh-hem.

Need a nice name for my bike. Me, I got a name...

Which makes me think of a VERY naughty t-shirt I saw once: Remember my name, you'll be screaming it later.

took me several minutes to get it. i can be s l o w at times.

Trek420
04-28-2006, 07:34 PM
HAH, thought nobody looks at those. ding ding ding, you found the hidden profile pun. You win a duck. :)

Rode to work today and forgot to bring a spare t-shirt. In all the years I've been doing this I've never forgot a change of clothes.

Ever noticed how bike clothes look geekier the further away you are from a bike? Bright pink jersey, sreaming yellow vest, clashing red Team Amici arm skins on a bike-makes sense in a safety concious cycling kinda way.

3' away from your bike? Odd, but there's the bike, your a cyclist.

30' away, wandering around the store or worse, seated in a cube at your desk...whah? :eek: couldn't stand it and at lunch went to the gym and got a shirt, pink hoody type number.

KnottedYet
04-28-2006, 07:54 PM
S.O. knows about the MRI. Let's talk about lack of support, shall we?

I can't believe I drank all this beer... one of the downsides to living alone. Or is it an upside? I don't have to share my Red Hook ESB. Good, bad, or indifferent?

Had a lovely salad for dinner. My dog (Bean, as in "Coffee Bean" cuz he looked like one all curled up in the cage at the Humane Society when he was a puppy) adores caesar salad dressing, so I let him lick the plate when I was done.

What is it about our critters, that they can make us feel so loved?

My beautiful bike is sitting in my living room. Very pretty.
http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_cart/FrontEnd/Products/product_detail.aspx?productid=346&parentid=253

Happy Dance!

DirtDiva
04-29-2006, 02:54 AM
I guess it'd be a 135 mile round trip, though. Didn't think of that. That's a little far...
After all those brevets, I wasn't sure that you understood the concept of "a little far..." ;)

Nanci
04-29-2006, 03:49 AM
I'm only abnormal for those specific days. The rest of the time I'd call "far" anything over 100 miles.

Lise
04-29-2006, 04:15 AM
S.O. knows about the MRI. Let's talk about lack of support, shall we?

I can't believe I drank all this beer... one of the downsides to living alone. Or is it an upside? I don't have to share my Red Hook ESB. Good, bad, or indifferent?

Had a lovely salad for dinner. My dog (Bean, as in "Coffee Bean" cuz he looked like one all curled up in the cage at the Humane Society when he was a puppy) adores caesar salad dressing, so I let him lick the plate when I was done.

What is it about our critters, that they can make us feel so loved?

My beautiful bike is sitting in my living room. Very pretty.
http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_cart/FrontEnd/Products/product_detail.aspx?productid=346&parentid=253

Happy Dance!
Hey, Kona,

Your bike is beautiful. Let's see a picture of the dog! Hope the SO gets her head out of her butt and starts treating you like she should. And if she doesn't, please know that you deserve so much better.

In my experience, bad treatment is not limited to one gender. The abusive ex in my story is a woman; I stayed with her through years of maltreatment. Some of the worst happened around my own surgeries and physical pain. She could be loving and supportive one minute, and screaming at me for not having made dinner the next. It felt so crazy that I just kept holding on, hoping that the woman who loved me would "come back". You know the upshot--I finally left, and now I'm free.

I am glad you are going for the MRI. Knowledge is power. Be well and know that you are not alone. Lise

Trek420
04-29-2006, 05:05 AM
Hey, Kona,

Sorry about the jerk. But better to know she's a jerk sooner than later. Hmmm, somewhere here there's a thread on the advantages of cycling single. Being able to drink all the beer was not listed. ;)

Go for the MRI, wear your wool shorts if you wanna. And big hugs and lots of Caesar salad with crunchy garlic croutons for your dog. You're a good person for rescuing a dog. What kind of dog? Does Bean like the anchovies?

I better get moving, 4 hours till ride meet-time. I could not have slept in if I wanted to, my mutt woke me up.

thanks in advance Bikerz for arranging this.

DirtDiva
04-29-2006, 05:25 AM
What a freaking rip-off! :eek: It costs £350 in the UK, but if you do a currency conversion from the US price, you get around £220! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Trek420
04-29-2006, 05:38 AM
yes, bikes are less expensive but if you lived here you'd have to pay for health care :) :cool: ;) ... drifts off to pump the tires and grab some gu dodges outa the way of ensuing possible drift towards debate of health care issues.

DirtDiva
04-29-2006, 10:00 AM
Well, the NHS may be free, but... :rolleyes:

DrBee
04-29-2006, 10:27 AM
Okay - I'll actively drift away from the healthcare debate. drifting...drifting...drifting...

Last night I was sooooo bad. A bunch of us went out for dinner and I chose a big tray of crawfish (about 3-4 lbs) and gravy fries for dinner :D Everyone looked at me like I was crazy! Geez it was good! I inhaled all of it! I had gone for a ride in the afternoon (clif bar for lunch) and didn't eat anything when I came back. So - I was starving. They watched in amazement as I at it all and was still hungry! I haven't had gravy fried since I was pregnant with my daughter. Oh man was that good! Yummmmm

DirtDiva
04-29-2006, 10:41 AM
What are gravy fries? Just fries with gravy on 'em?

Nanci
04-29-2006, 11:25 AM
I don't know gravy fries, either. But I had TWO servings of chicken-fried steak for lunch, with white gravy. And peach cobbler. And fried squash. (just a little bit) And like one bite of "greens." I figured anything with bacon in it must be good, but I was WRONG. And two slices of beets. And a spoon of pea salad. And a spoon of cole slaw. And a spoon of pasta salad. And a spoon of cottage cheese. And unsweet tea with Equal. But I rode 3.25 hours in a nice strong wind before. Saw many gopher tortoises out on their stoops.

DrBee
04-29-2006, 01:48 PM
What is pea salad??? And Nanci - where did you get all of that food and who ate the rest? It sounded really good! Greens can be good if cooked the right way. Mr. Fish (cajun) cooks them with tasso and/or andouille and they are awesome. Not bitter like most I've tried.

Gravy fries - big fat fries with brown gravy on them - usually spiced well with black pepper. It's a total comfort food thing! It's definitely not something a person normally eats with boiled crawfish - but hey, it hit a happy spot. We're making chicken and blackbean enchiladas tonight. Yummm!

How big was the spoon? ;) Sounds like you earned it! Still raining and VERY windy here :(

KnottedYet
04-29-2006, 03:01 PM
One of the women at work gave me some of her edemame and corn salad last week. Man, was it GOOD! It was just the green soybeans (shelled) and plain corn niblets tossed together with a pinch of salt.

Gotta go get some frozen shelled soybeans and frozen corn. I could just throw it together with some salt and it'd be thawed and ready to eat by lunchtime!

I like low-complexity food. Unless someone else is cooking. THEN I like creme brulee, and salmon, and steamed mussels and clams, and salad...

Nanci
04-29-2006, 03:26 PM
It was in Trenton, FL at a place called The Old Boarding House or something, which is a cute little house, with a bunch of rooms, and a central room where the buffet is set out. I'd heard of it, but the people I rode with knew it and had eaten there before. The food is "Southern." I was there with four people from my Strays group. Other people had finished earlier because they only went 32 miles. One girl had started early and odne her first metric Century! She was very excited, and very tired. Everyone was quite worn out from the wind.

The pea salad was green peas and small bits of other stuff in a creamy sauce. There was something like it at one of the stops on the TOSRV ride last weekend. The spoon was a serving spoon, but I didn't get big scoops- so my spoonfuls were about two tablespoons each.

I just had a three hour nap. Can't find out any eagle news. Don't know what to make for dinner.

I have a creme brulee cookbook. You can make your own- it's easy!

The group leader is talking about our group going to Cocoa for a Century in the fall so we can go to a place and eat "rock shrimp" afterwards. I don't know what those are, either.

DrBee
04-29-2006, 03:36 PM
Ooh - rock shrimp are good! They have a fairly mild flavor and a wonderful texture. Eat up - you'll love them!

I hope you found something good to make for dinner. I'm still working on the enchiladas - waiting for the chicken to cool off.

We found a really good black bean and corn salsa in the grocery store. It's not too hot (I'm not too big on super spicy food) and has a nice full flavor. There are a couple of brands that are good. We bought the generic today and tastes exactly the same!

Trek420
04-29-2006, 03:40 PM
I'm back from the CA TE ride. I dropped my bike off at the LBS on the way back. Headed for a shower, think I'll scarf up some trader joes jojo's first.

All this talk of rock shrimp creme brulee is making me hungry. Jobob's choice of coffee shop was great, great ride, decent weather, wonderful company. Thanks TE.

KnottedYet
04-29-2006, 04:12 PM
Trader Joe's is great. Just had rice noodles with Trader Joe's Tuna in Red Panang Curry Sauce. I was very hungry after my Team Survivor ride and 2 hours shopping at the LBS.

Have you tried TJ's dried mango with chili powder? Those critters are good good good. I usually carry around dried fruit from TJ's for rides and work and gotta-eat-right-NOW snacks.

Oh, and TJ's "pound plus" 72% cacao chocolate bars!

I buy about 1/3-1/2 of my groceries at TJ's.

DrBee
04-29-2006, 05:11 PM
I like TJ's decaf chai latte mix. Yummy stuff! I stock up when I go visit my mom in MD. I'm heading there for Mom's Day in 2 weeks.

Trek420
04-29-2006, 05:44 PM
2 hours shopping at the LBS? If I did that I would not be able to afford food, especially TJ's.

But I like TJ's, pretty much can wander around there without a list and everything is good.

SadieKate
04-29-2006, 05:56 PM
Three stops at the LBS today after one last night.

Yesterday afternoon, met maillotpois over at Peet's Coffee and had a wonderful chat with her before we went off to the LBS when I picked up my newly arrived compooter.

This morning's #1 trip, took bike with new computer because the magnet wouldn't work on the bladed spokes so I couldn't even tell if the computer was working. Given't my recent lack of kharma with computers I wasn't about to try McGivering the magnet until I knew whether the computer was working.

Trip #2, went back down with the forgotten wind trainer that puppysitter/racer boy needs to borrow.

Trip #3, went back for brake calipers to re-build the Trek Bubba will be selling now that the elegant Tuxedo Seven is home. Fortunately, remembered that Bubba was going to look for new road shoes today and managed to get this done before needing a 4th trip.

Don't even want to think about how much time was spent there today. It would probably be less if we weren't so heavily infected with the CRS Syndrome.

KnottedYet
04-29-2006, 08:05 PM
Jiminy Cricket!

I just picked up the mail on my way back from the grocery store. On top of everything else, I got called up for jury duty!!!!!

Maybe my doc can write me a note saying I'm too dingy to be on a jury.

Or my boss can write something about how they can't make it without me and won't pay me while I'm on jury duty so I'll end up on public assistance and be a drain on the taxpayers so please please don't make me do jury duty.

It never rains but it pours!

In happier news, I got a Terry catalog in the mail, too. And as soon as i got home I practiced clipping in and out. It works best if I don't think about it and just do it. Maybe I'll get to ride tomorrow.

Trek420
04-29-2006, 08:11 PM
I love jury duty but never get picked! My job pays me if I'm on jury duty, of course they deduct the .50 a day or whatever it is one gets. Wouldn't want me to make $0.50 more for doing my civic duty. But it's like a paid time off from the daily grind but....I never get picked.

Many are called but few are chosen.

snapdragen
04-29-2006, 08:43 PM
As a government employee I don't get paid, but I collect my regular salary. Last time I was picked, I ended up on a three week murder trial :eek:

I love jury duty but never get picked! My job pays me if I'm on jury duty, of course they deduct the .50 a day or whatever it is one gets. Wouldn't want me to make $0.50 more for doing my civic duty. But it's like a paid time off from the daily grind but....I never get picked.

Many are called but few are chosen.

bikerz
04-29-2006, 09:46 PM
All the years I worked for a big corporation (who reimbursed for jury duty), I never got picked - I've been called 3 times since being self-employed - in each case a trial of more than a week would probably have put me out of business - but then they didn't actually end up assigning me. Oh well - not only do I feel it an important civic duty, but I think I'd find it very interesting... but why could they have asked me when it was less inconvenient??

DirtDiva
04-30-2006, 04:18 AM
I've never been called up. Quite relieved about that - no way I could sit still all day without going bonkers, no way I could listen all day full stop. I remember my mum getting called up when I was about 12. I was home sick for a couple of days, so she managed to talk her way out of it once she got there. I think that's the only time she hasn't hated me for bringing a cold home from school. ;)

snapdragen
04-30-2006, 07:35 AM
I've never been called up. Quite relieved about that - no way I could sit still all day without going bonkers, no way I could listen all day full stop.

The presiding judge in the trial I was at called recesses about every hour and a half. He realized if we sat for any longer, we lose interest. Smart man..

change of subject - Today I am dying my hair chestnut brown.

JoyfullySo
04-30-2006, 08:09 AM
I have not been called, but I am not hoping to,either. We have no family nearby, and finding a place for the kiddos would be hard. Of course, I could always bring them all with me to court... DH says that I would be excused just so the judge wouldn't have to put up with our two boys ( ages five and six)

Be careful with that hair color... I made the mistake of foiling my hair right before beginning training. The chlorine in the pool has just ruined it, and now I have to go get it touched up every three weeks or so.I would rather spend that on gear.Plus, a high- mainaintence coif is NOT my style. Crazy things I do to my hair..... it could be long list.

snapdragen
04-30-2006, 08:14 AM
No worries - I've been changing hair color since I was in my twenties..."What is your natural color snap?" Beats the heck outta me!:D I've been using Naturtint - has no ammonia in it. A bit more expensive than the others, but worth it, as the others can really irritate my scalp.

Be careful with that hair color... I made the mistake of foiling my hair right before beginning training. The chlorine in the pool has just ruined it, and now I have to go get it touched up every three weeks or so.I would rather spend that on gear.Plus, a high- mainaintence coif is NOT my style. Crazy things I do to my hair..... it could be long list.

KnottedYet
04-30-2006, 08:21 AM
I use mahogany henna. It's pretty amusing, spending 2 hours with green goop on my hair and stinking to high heaven like moldy hay. But i end up with very "natural" looking color that slowly fades as my hair grows out so I don't end up with blatant roots.

What I end up with is a slightly darker red/brown than the strawberry blond I was as a kid.

DirtDiva
04-30-2006, 09:49 AM
I save up for about four months before paying a small fortune for streaks that look like the goldy-blonde of my youth. If it's done well, the mousy re-growth isn't too bad, except for right in the front where there are some grey ones (:eek: - I've still got a few years to go before I hit 30 too...) that suddenly become actually noticeable once they get more than a couple of cm long.

Trek420
05-01-2006, 05:12 AM
welllllll, scattered grey, letting it just be there, not doing anything about it and always say I would never use dye. When there gets to be more? Who knows. In my wild and misspent youth, bleached it, henna....sucha wild thing.

back to sipping coffee, gettin ready for Monday.

KnottedYet
05-01-2006, 07:04 AM
Well, off to the MRI! I have a friend taking me there (so I can have valiumumumum after all) and either she or her husband will take me home. I've got my CD of loud music for them to play to me (if I can choose my own). All the darn paperwork I was s'posed to fill out didn't get mailed to me in time. Gotta do that once I get there.

I am wearing my Ibex boxers and Ibex L/S t-shirt. For good luck, and cuz they're warm and have no metal in them. I get cold when I'm nervous. I'll try to meditate on bike riding and ignore the fact that I'm in some noisy dang tube. Ommmmmmm. Shimmmmmmmmanooooo. Ommmmmmmm.

The big struggle was getting my nose-ring out! OUCH! Dunno how I'm gonna get it back in.

(s.o. isn't answering her phone or returning calls. she just can't cope with difficulty and never has be able to.)

bikerz
05-01-2006, 07:10 AM
Good luck with the MRI - good you have a friend there (and the valium!)

And I say, if the s.o. can't be there for you when the going get tough, she doesn't deserve the "s" in that label!

DrBee
05-01-2006, 08:22 AM
K-Good luck with the MRI. I'm glad to hear you'll have a friend there (and - of course, the valiummm), but sad to hear your s.o. hasn't come around.

Hair color - mine is reddish brown with way too many gray hairs in there. The color of my hair hides a lot of the gray, if you don't look too closely. :rolleyes: I used to have it dyed - redder than it is, until they made it cranberry. Yes - cranberry - the same day I was leaving to present a talk at a national meeting. I washed literally about 25-30 times in the next two days - it ended up a really vivid copper. I was done after that. I also had it permed in the early 90's. I have really thick hair - so it was quite large. Not the best look for me.

Nanci
05-01-2006, 08:50 AM
I'd probably just never call SO again, no matter what the results.

KnottedYet
05-01-2006, 10:44 AM
Back from the MRI! Boy, that was fun! Those machines make a huge variety of freaky noises, whodathunkit?

The valium really helped, but I still had to fight down panic a couple times. The music was a great help. I had U2, Cher, Basement Jaxx, Globetrekker, Jimmy Eat World, Pink, SheDaisy, Wynnona, and Brian Eno batting for me in there. It only took 45 minutes so I didn't even use up the whole CD.

I did not enjoy the 2nd set of MRI's with contrast, just because I have thin rolly veins and the tech had to fish around to get the injection going. And the gatalinium-dye was COLD. I got all shakey. So much for being a mature adult...:rolleyes:

My head was locked into a frame, but whoever designed the frame was very smart. The main "lock" hooked onto the headphones so it felt like tight headphones rather than an Iron Maiden. I didn't even have to take off my jeans, because only my head went into the machine. (they did make me empty my pockets) I even got to keep my shoes on.

AND best of all, I got my nose-ring back in with a minimum of swearing!:p

so, here I am, can't drive until 3:00, enjoying the woozy valium effect, and I'm gonna play on the 'puter! Post to every thread! Start new ones in each catagory! (it wasn't me, it was the valium!):D

Nanci
05-01-2006, 10:50 AM
When do you get the results?

Nanci

Trek420
05-01-2006, 11:17 AM
bikerz "And I say, if the s.o. can't be there for you when the going get tough, she doesn't deserve the "s" in that label!"

she does, just is an abreviation for sumthin' different, something other than significant? :cool:

glad the MRI went as well as could be and that the nose ring is back in. We'll hope for the best on the results, keep us posted, there's such a lot of support here.

Bikerz, there was an article in todays Hayweird Daily Review about a biker making his way back after a stroke. You'd told me about your neighbor who rides down (and up) your hill on his recumbent? I think it's the same guy, bay area living section.

uk elephant
05-01-2006, 11:44 AM
so we're on hair color at the moment? Mine is naturally red'ish, sort of a rusty brown I think except exposure to sunlight makes it redder. I have dyed it on occasion. The best one was when I had it died with really bright totally non-natural dyes: blood red with streaks of hot lava and yellow :eek: . Got great looks and surprised comments :D , and the color washed out after a couple of weeks so no permanent damage (except to some of my towels and a few pillow cases).

KnottedYet
05-01-2006, 11:52 AM
I have to dye my hair, cuz the gray (which I've had for years) just makes me look like I'm bald on each temple and at my forehead.

I've tried to grow it out a few times, and it really does look crappy. My hair is so baby fine and thin, it won't look good gray until it's ALL gray.

MRI results next week when I see the neurologist.

Trek420
05-01-2006, 11:57 AM
just bleach it all white and then do the Mrs. Sloacham (sp?) look, different color each day or so. :) :D

snapdragen
05-01-2006, 12:05 PM
Well, I'm not thrilled with my color du jour. Loreal Natural somethingsomething - #4N. It's a dark brown. I may have to play with a highlighting kit later today, since I'm playing hooky from work. :eek:

KnottedYet
05-01-2006, 01:18 PM
Trek: did you see the "Are you Being Served" reunion thingy on PBS? They interviewed the actress who played Mrs. Sloacom (?) and she talked about the whole hair business. Guess it really fried her hair. She said everyone always asks about the hair.:D

Trek420
05-01-2006, 02:11 PM
I would have thought she'd wear a wig :eek:

Lise
05-01-2006, 03:51 PM
I should be blonde, therefore I am blonde. The fact that I now pay someone to make that true shouldn't make a difference! My dad's side of the family went from black hair to gorgeous white hair in their late 20s. My mom's side went from gorgeous red hair to lovely soft blonde in their 40s. I went from nice blonde to steel grey. NOT FAIR. I colored it myself awhile, but it sort of ran away with me. When I had it done professionally, to get it back under control, my friends commented so much on how great it looked that I took the hint, and now pay someone every 4-5 weeks. It does look good. A lot better than grey, or what I did myself.

Knotted--glad to hear the MRI was not too horrible. That gal is pretty "insignificant" if she can't be there for you when the times are tough. Right now it's a diagnostic test. How bad will it be when something harder happens? I remember when another ex of mine just "couldn't cope" with me crying when my grandma died. I wondered, how will it be when I really need you? Hence...the "ex". Good luck with all that.

We need a "hug" smiley on this board. ((((knottedyet)))) L.

DrBee
05-01-2006, 04:04 PM
KnottedYet - Glad to hear you made it through the MRI with not too much stres.. Even better on the nose ring - maybe the valium made you not worry about getting it back in so much.

I think I'd ditch the SO. Why do you need more stress in a time of stress. That just doesn't make sense. However - we cannot tell you what to do. But since SO is not answering the phone or returning calls, perhaps the issue is moot. Good luck!

You don't grow your hair out because it's thin - I don't grow mine out because it gets way too big! The last time I had it long, I tried to grow out my bangs. Having children changed my hair from straight to wierdly wavy - in an unflattering way. Mr. fish would make chewbaca sounds at me (in a loving way - really :)) It was actually quite hilarious. Now - it's short and I plan to keep it that way!

fixedgeargirl
05-01-2006, 06:53 PM
I've passed a very important milestone in growing out my once pixie-short hair:

I can get it into a pony-tail/pigtails!! :D

Since temps here got to 100 last month, it's a necessity. I've decided to cover the grey for now. At pixie length, I had it reddish. I wanted some drama before all my true drama :rolleyes: started, so started going with a chestnut. I rather like it, and it matches my eyebrows for a change :p .

Covering the grey must be working, I had an aesthetician guess I was 22 the other day :eek: ! (Let's just say you can add a double-digit number to that to get my true age).

KnottedYet
05-02-2006, 05:38 AM
****WARNING!!! WHINE ALERT!!!!!****

s.o. sent me a text message saying she would talk to me later. Tried calling her again this morning (I KNOW she's home) but she didn't answer the phone. I left an angry message on her voice mail.

We've been together for 7 years. Right now we're not living together. This is the way she's always been, she says she can't handle it when other people are hurt or scared or needy because she cares too much.

I'm at my wits end.

Does anyone else know someone like this? How do you handle it?

***END OF WHINE. WE NOW RETURN YOU TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED THREAD DRIFT.***

Lise
05-02-2006, 06:20 AM
OMG. You know how on Star Trek, the original one, they had the "Universal Translator"? (OK, you may be too young, but play along). It took any language from anywhere in the universe and translated it into English. Handy tool. You're in luck! I just happen to have one! Here we go, cranking it up....

"I can't handle it when other people are hurt or scared...because I care too much"------------>(translated into real language)------>"I am too self-centered to care about anyone else!"

Wow! Who would've guessed that's what that really means?! :eek: OK, indignant rant over.

When you love someone, you want to be of comfort to them in their time of need. That's the kind of SO you richly deserve. Some of us have that, some of us are looking. I try to remember that I have cleared out the space in my life for that wonderful, loving person to come in. And in the meantime, I treat myself with the love and care I deserve, and I revel in the friendship of those who care about me, and who are delighted that I care about them.

How to handle it? Put down the phone. Don't call her. Don't email her. Spend your time with the friends who treat you right. Call them, email them, eat and drink with them, go for bike rides with them. Tell them how hard it is not to call "her", and make deals that you'll call them first before you hit that speed dial. Walk away, however falteringly, and it will get better. Not quickly, but it will get better. I know. I really do.

Sending you gentle best wishes in this tough time. (((KN))) Lise

maillotpois
05-02-2006, 06:31 AM
Lise you crack me up!!! :D (Trekkie at heart.)

Sorry Knotted, I think she's right, though. Huge bummer but better to start to realize this now than after another 7 years?

Trek420
05-02-2006, 06:59 AM
What Lise sed, She's right ya know. You deserve way better. An if the In'SO calls this is why caller id was invented. :cool:

It sounds like you have got a great group of friends, talk to them, spend time with them, they will get you through this.

Lise can the board I borrow the Universal Translator some time? I'm sure we'd like to know what does "It's not you it's me" mean?

bikerz
05-02-2006, 07:00 AM
KN - I have to agree with Lise - I read that last part "...because I care to much" and I just thought to myself - wow - that is some kind of BS! Actually, I used a few additional expletives...

It really is awful to find out after a long time that the person you thought you'd be there for through whatever life dealt does not have the same plans for you (for me it was 14 years). But - you deserve - we all deserve - that kind of person in our lives - Lise said it so well - call on your friends (and family?) - they will help you remember that your world is full of people who love and care for you and WILL be there for you. Take very good care of yourself!

DrBee
05-02-2006, 07:47 AM
Lise said it perfectly and everyone else summed it up just as perfectly. I ditto that.

Star Trek - Universal translator
Hitchhiker's guide - babblefish
Farscape - translator microbes.

I'm pretty sure they would all give the same translation Lise came up with! Well said!

JoyfullySo
05-02-2006, 07:56 AM
Well, let me just also take it a bit further.

Before I type anything else, let me assure everyone, I have kissed quite a few frogs in my time. Furthermore, I would ditto everyone else's post. If is ribbits, hops, and eats flies, it's a frog. Better let this one hop over to another pond.

But here is the question that I can't ever find an answer for, maybe you all can help me.

Why do we get involved with folks like this???????

(Food for thought from someone who can happily report that the only frogs in my life today are the ones my boys bring in the house....)

Quillfred
05-02-2006, 08:24 AM
((((Knotted))))

I'm glad you were able to endure the MRI. They do sound intense.

In terms of the ex-SO, I remembering you mentioning somewhere that she just couldn't handle things. IMHO, I think that might be the healthiest way to look at her actions (or lack of).

I have found it easier to let go of an SO when I think of it in that light. When I am angry, I am hooked still and more vulnerable to getting hurt.

The sad thing is that sometimes people just aren't up to the task of being there when things get tough. I hope you can find the strength to let her go, unless she suddenly realizes that she has been MIA and is willing to step up and do couple's counseling, etc.

Nanci
05-02-2006, 09:46 AM
Never mind. I always get yelled at by everyone. Everything will be fine, we'll all live to be one hundred, and our DH's/SO's/BF's will never abandon us.

Nanci

Nanci
05-02-2006, 10:31 AM
I am adopting two Desert Tortoises (from a research project in Florida, unreleasable) tomorrow!

I am not going to name them until I see them. They are two-year-olds- and won't be sexable until 5-10 years of age.

Maybe I should give them dessert names, since I keep misspelling "desert."

DrBee
05-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Ooh Nanci - please post pics of them after they come to their new home! That'll help us come up with name suggestions, too. What are you going to house them in? Hmmmm - I like the idea of dessert names. I have issues with spelling it, too.

Trek420
05-02-2006, 11:05 AM
so we need gender neutral dessert names?

Creme Brullee (sp?) sounds kinda like a drag queen.
Baked Alaska, hmmm, baked! There's that desert theme. If one's dumber than the other they could be Baked...and Half Baked.
Better Than S** Chocolate Cake....too long, but hey, not a bad idea. Could be better than kissing frogs. :)

ooh, and Turtles are a desert, I mean dessert. But would Tortoises object to being called Turtles?

maillotpois
05-02-2006, 11:08 AM
Wow Nanci - that is so cool!

Our last control in the brevet was at a cafe in Marshall right on the ocean, where they have tanks of turtles and tortoises. I'd never been in before and am still half wondering if I didn't hallucinate the turtles/tortoises. :p Anyway, the turtles were super engaging - they would come over and watch me while I was standing waiting for my BLT. I think they probably expected I would feed them.

Dianyla
05-02-2006, 11:24 AM
I'm sure we'd like to know what does "It's not you it's me" mean?
I'm pretty sure it just means: "Actually, it is you." :p

Here's a fun translator reference that y'all have probably seen before:

Men's English:
I'm hungry = I'm hungry.
I'm sleepy = I'm sleepy.
I'm tired = I'm tired.
Do you want to go to a movie? = I'd eventually like to have sex with you.
Can I take you out to dinner? = I'd eventually like to have sex with you.
Can I call you sometime? = I'd eventually like to have sex with you.
May I have this dance? = I'd eventually like to have sex with you.
Nice dress! = Nice cleavage!
You look tense, let me give you a massage. = I want to fondle you.
What's wrong? = I don't see why your making such a big deal about this.
What's wrong? = What meaningless self-inflicted psychological trauma are you going through now?
What's wrong? = I guess sex tonight is out of the question?
I'm bored. = Do you want to have sex?
I love you. = Let's have sex now.
I love you, too. = Okay, I said it... we'd better have sex now!
Yes, I like the way you cut your hair. = I liked it better before.
Let's talk. = I am trying to impress you by showing you that I am a deep person and maybe then you'd like to have sex with me.
Will you marry me? = I want to make it illegal for you to have sex with other guys.

Women's English:
Yes = Yes
No = Yes
Maybe = No
I'm sorry = You'll be sorry
We need = I want
It's your decision = The correct decision should be obvious by now.
Do what you want = You'll pay for this later.
We need to talk = I need to complain.
Sure go ahead = I don't want you to.
I'm not upset = Of course I'm upset
You're so manly = You need a shave and you sweat a lot.
You're certainly attentive tonight = Is sex all you ever think about?
Be romantic, turn out the lights = I have flabby thighs.
This kitchen is so inconvenient = I want a new house.
I want new curtains = and carpeting, and furniture, and wallpaper.....
Hang the picture there = NO, I mean hang it there!
I heard a noise = I noticed you were almost asleep.
Do you love me? = I'm going to ask for something expensive.
How much do you love me? = I did something today you're really not going to like.
I'll be ready in a minute = Kick off your shoes and find a good game on TV.
You have to learn to communicate = Just agree with me.
Are you listening to me!? = {Too late, you're dead.}
Was that the baby? = Why don't you get out of bed and walk him until he falls asleep.
I'm not yelling! = Yes, I am yelling because I think this is Important.
The same old thing = Nothing
Nothing = Everything
Everything = My PMS is acting up.
Nothing, really = It's just that you're such an a$$hole.

Lise
05-02-2006, 12:58 PM
Dianyla:that about sums it up! :p

Nanci: "sexable"? I'm going with the most benign thing that could mean, and guessing that's when you can tell what sex they are.

Trek:"It's not you,it's me"------->"It's me. I don't like you."

fishdr: translator microbes? COOL!

KnottedYet: Like they said. And yes, I know how excruciatingly hard it is. One of my good friends puts it best: You're just not compatible. As in: I'm not compatible with anyone who would hit me when she's frustrated or angry. I'm not compatible with someone who would sleep with me and then not return my calls. You're not compatible with someone who can't support you when you have an MRI. And the search continues for the one with whom I am compatible! In the mean time, great friends, great coffee, great bike, new insights. Hang in there. L.

KnottedYet
05-02-2006, 01:52 PM
Good news!

Doc called me at work, said the MRI results were "normal, for the most part." So, there's no sign of MS or wayward cancer cells!

Still gotta go to the neurologist and try to track down what is causing all these wacky central nervous system glitches. But it's such a huge relief that it isn't either of those things!

Nanci - I like the idea of naming the torties after desserts. Aren't there some famous "Torte" names? Like some german cake, or French cake, or something has some cool name. All I can think of at the moment is "almond torte" but that's not what I'm trying to come up with.

I also like "Baked" and "Half-Baked". Creme Brulee and Creme Fraiche (sp). I used to have a tortoise back when I was about 10. He lived in the garden.

Nanci
05-02-2006, 02:06 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so happy for you!! Now you don't have it hanging over your head any more. I get weird neuro symptoms every once in a while- visual disturbances and narrowing field of vision, which lasts for 20 minutes then goes away. Like a migraine aura, without the headache. I have a hole in my heart that might be letting bad things through to my brain, that normally my lungs would filter out, plus AVM's in my lungs, and that's why I can't dive (deep, at least) any more. There's probably "lesions" (whatever that means) in my brain from decompression diving, all the bubbles that got through before I knew, and I could have an MRI to check, but, since there isn't anything to be done anyway, my cardiologist and I decided I would just rather not know. I can pretend to be normal!

Not sure about the dessert names yet. I tried to look some up in my calorie counter software. Cupcake? Cutie Pie? Ho Ho and Ding Dong? (Just kidding!)

DirtDiva
05-02-2006, 02:37 PM
Ho Ho and Ding Dong? Oh, go on - I dare you! :D

Good news, Knotted. Thanks for keeping us posted.

DrBee
05-02-2006, 02:40 PM
Congrats KnottedYet! That's fantastic news. I'll keep thinking positive healthy thoughts on the CNS glitches. Hopefully it's an easy fix. At least the 2 big nasties were ruled out!

Nanci - baked and half-baked are my favorites so far.

Nanci
05-02-2006, 04:00 PM
Ho Ho and Ding Dong would work out well if they were a pair...It's kind of funny in a twisted way.

I think that's it then, if I get them and they fit the names.

Got the tank all converted- timothy pellet substrate, already had two turtle garages (half logs) got some bermuda hay, some super-special tortoise pellets, some salad (green beans/summer squash/parsnips/mangos). A pretty purple food dish. Already had the desert light.

These guys can get to be 19"!! I can't wait to build an outside habitat for them. Poor little guys, I bet they're about 3" long right now...

They're supposed to have a lot of personality.

Nanci

maillotpois
05-02-2006, 04:18 PM
Excellent news Knotted!!

Nancy I like Ho Ho and Ding Dong. I think those would be great names. Boy would my daughter be jealous if she knew about that. She's always trying to get another pet - she's pretty much species indiscriminate.

Nanci
05-02-2006, 05:02 PM
I don't know if I can still love my Doctor Friend from Gray's Anatomy First Season. It's the last episode, and, of course, how did I not see it coming, he'[s married...

Trek420
05-02-2006, 07:23 PM
....have they ruled out coffee withdrawl?

Nanci "Ho Ho and Ding Dong would work out well"

'till Ho Ho tells you "who're you callin' a Ho?"

and what if Ding Dong turns out to be a girl? :cool: :rolleyes: ;) JK.

Ohh, "Torte" names, how on earth did I miss the obvious pun? Linzer Torte-ois, Sacher Torte-ois...

Don't they live to be 100 or something?

And Nanci, the Dr? We never see it coming. And they say the good fictional characters are all taken.

bikerz
05-02-2006, 07:29 PM
Good news Knotted! Nice of the doc to call so quick with the results.

KnottedYet
05-02-2006, 07:39 PM
TreK: I'd be more inclined to believe chocolate withdrawl! Actually, I'm really hoping it's B12 malapsorption bad enough that sublingual B12 doesn't cut it anymore. That's simple! Easy to manage! Someone said she does B12 shots to herself. Hmmm, if that'll fix my issues I'd do it, too!

Called s.o. and left message about "normal for the most part" MRI. She called me back within 5 minutes, all nice again. I'm doing some serious thinking.:(

Nanci: I love the idea of Ho-Ho and Ding-Dong! And Linzer and Sacher! When you see their sweet little faces and get to know their personalities, you'll know what names fit them best. We need to see some pictures of these cuties!

Lise
05-02-2006, 08:14 PM
Knotted--so glad to hear your good news. :)

Nanci--it will be so cool to learn about their little tortise personalities. I like Ho-ho and Dingdong, but I have a fondness for snack cakes. Mostly for the memory of snack cakes, really....:rolleyes:

Good night, all--L.

Trek420
05-02-2006, 08:19 PM
KnottedYet - aren't there B vitamins in beer? No, I'm not suggesting drinking your way through this.

"Called s.o. and left message about "normal for the most part" MRI. She called me back within 5 minutes, all nice again. I'm doing some serious thinking.:( "

aaaack, I'd step awaaaay from the speed dial with someone like that. OK, so this just demonstrates she's a fair weather "more than just friends".

off to find my sleeping bag, where'd I put it? I will be doing a 2 day ride, from SF to the Russian River and back weekend after next.

Lise
05-02-2006, 08:30 PM
off to find my sleeping bag, where'd I put it? I will be doing a 2 day ride, from SF to the Russian River and back weekend after next.
Wow, cool ride. Do you have to carry your own gear?

Trek420
05-02-2006, 08:58 PM
Oh g** no, I'm nowhere near that strong.

I'm nervous about this ride but I did it years ago. They truck our gear to Cassini Ranch which is near the end of the Russian River. The ride is put on by the Positive Peddlers. It's called the Jonathon Pon 2-day ride. In the past years they limited it to the Pos Peds. this year they decided to open it up to all the ALC riders. I keep telling them "I'm a training ride leader, not a registered rider"

Maybe they'll wake up and kick me out and I'll have a convenient excuse.

I hear Shadon is doing this ride too?

maillotpois
05-03-2006, 01:31 PM
What a great ride, Trek! You'll be riding through my back yard - be sure to wave! :)

Trek420
05-03-2006, 01:58 PM
wow, nice backyard!

I think Jobob and Leebob also have one of the nicest "roll out the door and ride" backyards, near ACT.

maillotpois
05-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Well, you'll be passing my "back yard" early in the ride, in Mill Valley. But I feel like your whole route is probably in my cycling backyard as that's where I do 80% of all my riding!

What's your route? Are you going through Freestone/Occidental, or straight up the coast??

I know all the best bakeries if you want any suggestions! :D

Nanci
05-03-2006, 02:45 PM
I love overnight rides. They should have more.

I have the babies. One is bigger, darker, braver. One is smaller, yellower, more timid. I think I will name her Buttercup. I had a big old yellow box turtle about 20 years ago by that name. I'm leaning toward Koko (because he's kind of a dark choc color) for the other.

I had a male Siamese, half of a pair, named Koko, as in Ko-Ko and Yum-Yum from "The Mikado." Maybe I have run out of original names. Ho Ho and Ding Dong just didn't fit. So then maybe I should name the other one Yum-Yum.

My Yummy cat was sweet, small, cross-eyed, and just slightly "not all there." All my other pets gave her special treatment. Drazil, the three-foot long free-range iguana, who viciously chased the other cats, would allow her to sit in the sun in the windowsill and nuzzle him.

KoKo and Buttercup.

It sounds ok.

Got my welcome letter for 3-State 3-Mountain. I wish there wasn't 50% chance of rain. I will have to _force_ myself to take pictures. It is going to be so beautiful. I hate how I carry my camera all the time, but never want to stop.

Right now Buttercup is asleep in a pile of hay, and KoKo is asleep under a hollow log on a heating pad. KoKo climbed the pile of hay to the top of the hollow log. He is very strong and brave.

I think I finally like Chardonnay. The oak used to really put me off, but I found a couple I liked, lately the Covey Run. Tonight I am going to taste a new one, the Fetzer.

The eagle's live feed is down. The forum is in a frenzy.

Lise
05-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Awww, your babies sound so sweet. And I'm glad to hear there's kindness in the heart of an giant iguana for a ditzy kitty. This thread is a hoot! You learn the best stuff here. We tri-girls have it good. Think anybody else is going to notice that where most threads have 6, 14 replies, this thread has over 200? :) L.

Nanci
05-03-2006, 03:30 PM
I like the Fetzer. KoKo is out wandering about. I have eaten a _very_ good dinner of jambalaya and sausage, out on my patio with Dillbird, reading Runner's World about some run in some wilderness in Idaho. Life is so good!

I think KoKo needs to learn about evening patio-sittings/crow watchings/ wine tastings with me and Dillbird. Since he's having trouble going to sleep for the night. Buttercup is more like me- out like a light, very early.

I wonder if KoKo has ever seen grass, in the wild.

That eagle story made me almost cry.

More people have watched them than anything except the Pope!!

Nanci
05-03-2006, 03:36 PM
The live eagle feed is back! It wasn't a conspiracy after all!! I hate how "trolls" post untrue things on there, to get everyone upset. The bird wouldn't be on the nest if the egg was gone. Get on the clue bus.

FWIW, I don't expect a fruitful outcome anymore. I'm sad that they are apparently beyond their child-bearing years. Still- when I didn't know any better, it was very exciting. I'm so in awe of how Nature works.

DrBee
05-03-2006, 04:24 PM
Didn't it say on the webpage that the second egg was due to hatch sometime this week? So - I think there's still hope.

The story also brought tears to my eyes. That was really nice. I kept reading, knowing where it was going, but eagerly reading on. Thanks again!

Congrats on KoKo and Buttercup. You sound like a proud new mama. When do we get to see pics? Or have you enjoyed the wine too much.

As a cousin to your jambalaya, we're having shrimp creole tonight :)

Nanci
05-03-2006, 04:36 PM
I think tomorrow, when they have settled in, I will get better pictures. I have pics tonight, but they are kind of birds-eye-view.

Here's Koko:

Nanci
05-03-2006, 04:37 PM
And here's Buttercup:

maillotpois
05-03-2006, 04:50 PM
Is KoKo sitting in guacamole??

KnottedYet
05-03-2006, 05:50 PM
What sweeties! If that is guac, can i have some? (ha ha, just kidding!)

We're having jambalaya and sausage tonight, too. Zatarains and turkey kielbasa (the kielbasa was cheap). Small Knot won't eat red meat, hence the turkey (and chicken, TJ's cajun chicken sausage is the best).

Today I bought turkey Spam, and we sang Monty Python's "Spam" song all through the grocery store. Small Knot swears he won't eat it. I have ways...;)

Trek420
05-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Lise "This thread is a hoot! You learn the best stuff here. We tri-girls have it good. Think anybody else is going to notice that where most threads have 6, 14 replies, this thread has over 200? :)"

You tri'd to hide it from us mere mono-sport gals. HAH!

I love those inter-species friendship stories. If only people did as well. My dog, who does not get along well with other dogs had a Walabee as a best friend at one time. Sadly the walabee was killed by a loose dog. We do not think her being used to Mae had anything to do with that.

maillotpois, I don't know our route other than possible key points (lunch probably at the cheese factory heading out, Pt Reyes Station on the way back, I know we go up Whites Hill both ways?:eek: We stay at Cassini ranch the Saturday. PM me your cell if you think you'll be around there.

maillotpois
05-03-2006, 06:08 PM
Trek -

If this is this Saturday, I'll be up in N. Santa Rosa for the Wine Country Century, so I won't really me around. I will be around Sunday, though. I will PM you my phone.

If you go to Pt. Reyes Station you must go to Bovine Bakery. The morning bun is heaven on earth - sticky and gooey and wonderful. I have started having more of their soups instead of sweet stuff - the soups are great. Their scones are always wonderful, too.

White's hill is not too steep and short on the way home. What a fun trip!

DrBee
05-04-2006, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the pics Nanci. They look great! Nothing is happier than a tortoise slopping around in a big bowl of guacamole..... yah.... ok...

drifting... I lost a big chunk of a paper I've been writing and I'm totally bummed. I carry my data back and forth from home to work (now that I telecommute 1 day/wk) on a SD disk and I must have saved the file in 2 places. I made huge progress on the paper at home. I went to bring it up today at work and all my work was gone. I can't even look at it to try to start over. Ack! Just venting...

On a happier note - I ordered my new saddle today (Terry Zero X). It'll be here Mon. so I can try it out before I travel for a week. Ooh I'm so excited! Hopefully I'll be pain free soon :)

Trek420
05-04-2006, 11:48 AM
maillotpois tips "you must go to Bovine Bakery. The morning bun is heaven on earth - sticky and gooey and wonderful. I have started having more of their soups instead of sweet stuff - the soups are great. Their scones are always wonderful, too."

Thanks, if I make it to day 2 and if it's the same route as before I think we stop there.

"White's hill is not too steep and short on the way home."

Yeah, too bad we climb it on the way out :eek:

"What a fun trip!"

thanks me before trip :o :confused: during :eek: after :D

maillotpois
05-04-2006, 12:20 PM
Trek - Of course turtles drink margs with their guac - the only question is whether they're belnded or on the rocks!

I hope you get to Bovine....

Fishdr - when does your new saddle get here?

DrBee
05-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Maillotpois - MONDAY :D :D :D I can't wait!!!!! Now - I have to figure out how to put it on there. This is a simple task, right? Tools, tools, what tools do I need???? The only thing I've installed on my bike is the computer. I did a fine job of that, though :)

SadieKate
05-04-2006, 01:03 PM
You just need an allen wrench the same size as the bolt on the seatpost head.

Be sure you get some kind of idea where your knee is over the pedal before pulling off the old saddle. You want to mimic that as much as possible.

The saddle may be taller/shorter top to bottom so measure the seat height also as you may need to raiser/lower the seatpost. If you have to do this, you need move the saddle forward or back to keep the knee angle the same. It is a three-dimensional exercise best accomplished in minute increments.

Nanci
05-04-2006, 01:52 PM
If you can install a COMPUTER a seat shouldn't be a problem at all!!

DrBee
05-04-2006, 02:11 PM
SK - thanks for the advice! Now I just need to find the allen wrench and for the saddle to arrive. :eek:

Nanci - thanks for the vote of confidence. :)

Trek420
05-04-2006, 06:29 PM
It looks like I will not go on the 2-day ride. My mutt Mae and the dog sitter did not hit it off. Mae growled at her, she didn't feel safe letting her out of the crate. So I don't have dog care, unless there's someone just doing one day then heading back I can't go :(

But...as a single parent of a dog she's a priority.

Guess my training goal for 2006 has to be...train the dog.