PDA

View Full Version : Supplementation During Your Friend's Visit

ConstanceReader
04-21-2006, 05:49 AM
Well, I actually call it "My Chum", but I digress. I do not take regular iron supplements, my iron levels are fine most of the time. But yesterday I found that, although I did not vary my diet at all, I didn't have much energy for my regular ride. The only thing that was different is The Chum is here. I haven't had to deal with this before because I use Seasonale and this is the three month mark. Has anyone out there heard about iron supplementation during just that week, and if it is effective at all? I was seriously bummed last night; I finished my ride, but had to stop a couple of times. :(

Nanci
04-21-2006, 06:31 AM
I donate blood, and have had borderline low iron forever. When I started taking a women's daily multivitamin, that went away and now I can donate blood without having to take additional supplements.

Low iron is an anecdotally well-documented cause of low energy in runners.

Nanci

sprout
04-23-2006, 01:15 PM
I have a pretty hard time biking (or doing anything strenous) during that time of the month. I always thought it was hormones because I can't remember having these issues when I was on BCP; I never thought about a deficiency. I've had my iron level tested before and was told it's fine (I'm a non-meat eater) but maybe it drops really low during that time. I have supplements but I'm horrible about taking them - this month I'll try to take them regular and see if that changes anything.

RoadRaven
04-24-2006, 12:44 PM
I always make sure I have red meat in the house because I always want steak, or mince...

I also have "incremin" in the house which is a kids iron supplement - its a liquid and supposed to be cherry flavoured (yeah right) and is designed for toddlers and young children who are 'fussy' or who have been sick and are not eating well.