PDA

View Full Version : Hey Lise...

Running Mommy
04-20-2006, 07:32 PM
Are you doing this race?? If not I would highly recommend it!

http://www.reebokwomenstriathlon.com/

I'll prolly do the San Diego race. It was super fun! And they give you cool towels when you finish.

Tracy... San Diego.... option??

Lise
04-20-2006, 07:39 PM
Huh! I just may! 'til now, I've avoided women-only tris, because I've had male friends who wanted to do them with me. I think after last year, they got it out of their system--I don't hear any of them talking about doing tris with me this year. I always picked races where they could do it with me if they wanted. I'm going one in May, one in July, one in August, and probably one in September....so there's an open slot in June! A sprint is so relatively easy, and would keep me tight with the training. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

A cool towel would be nice. I'm already done with the cotton t-shirts. They're OK for riding around town or playing volley ball in, but how many does one girl need?!? :rolleyes: L.

Running Mommy
04-20-2006, 07:55 PM
They did a really good job in San Diego. And for a sprint the expo was even cool. It looks like the title sponsor is now subaru as opposed to reebok, but I bet the swag will be just as cool.
Oh and speaking of cool... When I say "cool" towel.. I mean dunked in ice water and ready at the finish. It felt SOOO good! I still have mine. It had the race logo on it. I use it in my swim bag.

Lise
04-20-2006, 08:04 PM
They did a really good job in San Diego. And for a sprint the expo was even cool. It looks like the title sponsor is now subaru as opposed to reebok, but I bet the swag will be just as cool.
Oh and speaking of cool... When I say "cool" towel.. I mean dunked in ice water and ready at the finish. It felt SOOO good! I still have mine. It had the race logo on it. I use it in my swim bag.
Oh, as in "cold water" cool! After a race in July, that would be just the ticket. I got sun-sick from the Oly tri in August 2 years ago. Last year was blessedly overcast all day.

Brina
04-21-2006, 04:01 AM
I think that is the one out in Naperville? I know a couple of women who are choosing between it and the danskin in WI. They are only about 2 weeks apart. I wasn't going to do a "girl" event, but I figure for my first one there is less chance or mortification.

Lise
04-21-2006, 04:54 AM
So, Brina, I can't remember. Which are you doing? I can tell you that the non-woman specific tris I've done have supportive and friendly. At each one, there have been women older, heavier, less athletic looking than me.

My favorite is from the Leaning Tower Tri in May, from last year (I'm doing it again this year). There was an Irish woman who was probably 6" shorter than me and 50# heavier. We were in the same swim heat, our lanes next to each other. I struggled not to get dropped by her. I think she finished a lane ahead of me. I passed her on the bike (I have very long legs), and she caught back up to me on the run (I was walking at this point). I started to run with her, and she told me, "I am not walking". I got to hear her story-- 4 kids in as many years, weight got way up there, and for two years now she'd be training with the YMCA's program. The year before she didn't do the tri, so this was her first. She had a great sense of humor. I told her how I was struggling to keep up with her in the pool, and with her Irish brogue, she said, "Oh, swimmin's easy! I'm very bouyant!" Her four kids crossed the finish line with her. She really inspired me, and I'm going to keep an eye for her this year.

tprevost
04-21-2006, 05:25 AM
Hey, this might be okay! :D I'll ponder it while sunning in havasu ;)

Are you doing San Diego Denise?

T~

Running Mommy
04-21-2006, 06:33 AM
yeah I can't see why not. I was going to do it last year but we were in Vegas for our anniversary trip..

Brina
04-21-2006, 11:11 AM
Lise,

I am doing the danskin one just cause I know about half the field - probably an exageration, but there are a ton of women that I know who do it every year. The woman who put the run training program together took second in her age group last year.

The leaning tower one sounds interesting - that is the place just a bit west of all the new malls on touhy, right?

Lise
04-21-2006, 11:20 AM
Right. I mean, you can't miss the Leaning Tower out in front. What a trip. Here's a link--if you decide to do it, let's plan to meet!

http://www.leaningtowerymca.org/content/story.aspx?type=customcontent&sid=1028637

Brina
04-21-2006, 11:34 AM
Lise,

I will think about it. I was considering doing a 5K that day in Wilmette, but this could definitely be more fun.

But explain to me: girls in the cold pool. boys in the warm pool.

That is just WRONG

Lise
04-21-2006, 11:36 AM
Ummmm....yeah. I don't know how that happened. But it's not really that cold. And, I think we do fewer laps because it's a longer pool. Supposedly the "cold" pool is better because you don't overheat while doing your laps. That Y is very cool, compared to my Y. They have the "cold" pool which is only for laps. At my Y, I have to check the schedule for when I can go do laps, because all the classes and groups use the same pool.