PDA

View Full Version : Dancing anyone?

Polly
04-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Whilst not exactly sport - i do find it keeps me fit -

I have tapped since being a small girl, but have recently taken up irish (extremely aerobic) and belly dancing (great for core strength)

anyone else use dance as a keep fit exercise?

amcgltdchix
04-23-2006, 10:22 AM
I sure do. I'm a professional belly dancer here in VA:) especially if you do your drills with a weighted hip belt..it blasts your muscles even more:)

RoadRaven
04-24-2006, 01:45 PM
WOOHOO!!!

Belly dancing!

I start my very first class next Thursday! 9 days to go... I can't wait!

uforgot
04-25-2006, 01:06 AM
When I was 8 years old my mom dragged me to my first dance class. I remember that I didn't want to go, but by the time I was 13, I was my teacher's assistant and loved it. I did it all, jazz, tap, ballet and my favorite...toe. I've taught various classes over the years, choreographed musicals and am teaching summer school dance (jazz) to high school girls. As far as keeping fit, seems that no matter how much I dance, how many hours I devote, I could still lose 10 pounds! (Even as a teen when I danced several hours a day, I fought the weight!) Guess though that being able to bend over and lay my hands flat on the floor or still being able to do the splits at 51 is a perk. I haven't done any belly dancing, but I have eyed a few videos. Looks fun, and I bet a class of it with others would be a blast!

Carm
04-26-2006, 02:16 PM
I love to dance -studied ballet for 20 years until my son was born. I have been taking Flamenco dance lessons for the past two years. It's really hard on my legs and feet as there is a lot of stomping so I don't know how long I'll last at this.

uk elephant
04-27-2006, 03:05 AM
Does dancing around the livingroom when I'm home alone count as excercise? If so, then yes I dance for excercise. And it is a great way to get chores done.....add some great music and throw in some moves while you vacuum or do the dishes.....

I used to dance on a more regular basis. Did figure skating for a number of years (counts as dancing right?) and took a ballroom dance class in college along with a salsa course. Unfortunately, I don't quite have the hips for latin dances. I am very much a northerner. BF and I have this theory that sense of rythm decreases proportionately with distance from the equator. Hence, I can do a mean polka, but salsa and samba gets a bit too complex for me. But at home when nobody is watching I am a great dancer.....and love it!

Polly
04-28-2006, 10:52 AM
wow!
Glad to find the company of other ladies who like to dance!

Belly dancing is so cool - and we have a real laugh learning it, I hope to dance in my first Hafla in June - can't wait to pick a costume!

I like the sound of weighted hip belts - mine is quite heavy as i bought the noisiest one i could find! (shy? Moi? ;) ) is this what you meant? Or is there some kind of lead lined one designed to give me slinky hips?

kiwi in oz
06-24-2006, 03:31 AM
So, was a little slow at finding this thread...

I love to dance! belly dance and cycling - possibly the two most expensive sports/hobbies I could have chosen....

RoadRaven - how are you finding your classes in NZ?

Kiwi in oz

I TRI
06-24-2006, 08:39 AM
I dance every Friday (club, R&B-type dancing), but I used to dance salsa allllll the time. I still love it, I just don't do it as much anymore. When I was dancing 4-5 nights a week I lost all kinds of weight and had a blast doing it!!

Nicola