PDA

View Full Version : For Road Racers!

Nanci
04-19-2006, 01:39 AM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7195110930084047467

DirtDiva
04-19-2006, 02:46 AM
Haha! That's as bad as what's-her-name in the women's boardercross in Torino.

Lise
04-19-2006, 04:29 AM
what a nightmare. Chickens: counted...oh...cr*p!

Aggie_Ama
04-19-2006, 06:02 PM
My husband has shown that to me. It is just as bad the second time! What an idiot.

betagirl
05-24-2006, 04:37 AM
Oh that's flippin hilarious.

doc
05-24-2006, 05:40 AM
I can hear him now "oh dear god please open the earth and let me fall in I'm such a dope!"

livestrong84
05-29-2006, 01:27 AM
My husband has shown that to me. It is just as bad the second time! What an idiot.

I have that SAME exact jersey that you have in your profile pic. Wow, small world! I'm currently a student at Texas A&M and am currently on the cycling team. :)

Deborajen
05-29-2006, 06:28 AM
ROFLMAO - Still wiping my eyes -

That's hilarious! I've never cared much for that ritual at the finish. What a way to blow it.

Deb

Selkie
05-29-2006, 09:34 AM
That's why I am all for BOTH HANDS (or at least one) ON THE DARN HANDLEBARS. At least once a week, I encounter a knucklehead who thinks he's "all that" by riding with no hands on the bars. Usually looking all around to see if anyone else is noticing his wonderfulness. Makes a good snot rocket target as I pass by (no, I haven't and wouldn't do that because I believe in trying to live by the golden rule and know the law of what goes around, comes around. But man, it's tempting!!).

Tuckervill
05-29-2006, 05:49 PM
When I was a teenager I rode my bike a *lot* with no hands. I had a really nicely balanced 10-speed and I could ride around my town, around corners and everything, with no hands. I remember Sunday afternoons just riding and riding through the neighborhoods sitting up or holding on, rarely encountering traffic. Ah, heaven. :)

Now I have nobby tires that are not so conducive to letting go, but I still need to do it on occasion because of my wrists, and various other reasons. I want to be able to do it whenever, like I could on my 10-speed and even the old Buick. My LBS had to fix the front tire on my Trek because for a while there I couldn't let go at all without swerving. I'm way more careful than when I was a teenager, and I pedal more and go faster and watch the road more closely. I'm aware of what could happen--but in all these years it never has. ::probably just cursed myself. lol.:::

It's a useful skill which I really enjoy having. Maybe because of my miles and miles of experience with it I don't see what the big deal is. But I still wouldn't let go right before the finish line!

Karen

Nanci
05-30-2006, 06:33 AM
Man, I remember being a kid and being able to ride any bike no hands, even around corners!! Too chicken now!!

doc
05-30-2006, 07:31 AM
That's why I am all for BOTH HANDS (or at least one) ON THE DARN HANDLEBARS. At least once a week, I encounter a knucklehead who thinks he's "all that" by riding with no hands on the bars. Usually looking all around to see if anyone else is noticing his wonderfulness. Makes a good snot rocket target as I pass by (no, I haven't and wouldn't do that because I believe in trying to live by the golden rule and know the law of what goes around, comes around. But man, it's tempting!!).

Yikes, I hope you never snot rocket me. Riding upright with no hands is a fabulous gift to the lower back. After hunching over on an aggressive frame for 20, 40 or 60 miles, a few moments upright (on relatively flat straight ground) is heavenly. I'm not "all that", I'm merely stretching.

By the way, I believe yoga gave me the balance to do that.

Grog
05-30-2006, 08:55 AM
Yikes, I hope you never snot rocket me. Riding upright with no hands is a fabulous gift to the lower back. After hunching over on an aggressive frame for 20, 40 or 60 miles, a few moments upright (on relatively flat straight ground) is heavenly. I'm not "all that", I'm merely stretching.

By the way, I believe yoga gave me the balance to do that.

Core strength and balance do it all.

Being a kid, I always felt lame for not being able to ride with no hands. I still think it's dangerous, and I would never do this in traffic (as I see idiots doing it all the time, on rather bumpy roads...). However it was one of my goals for 2006 to learn this skill, purely as a challenge to my core strength and balance. It took me a while, practicing, but now I can do it and keep pedalling at the same time, on flat, slight downhill or slight uphill terrain. It does bring relief after riding in a headwind, crunched in the drops, for a while. And it gives me great satisfaction. I am very careful to do this in a place where I can't be bothered (coming back home I have a long stretch of 2-meter-wide, perfectly paved shoulder) and catch back the handlebars as soon as I feel any instability. But boy it's great.

(I can't help thinking about the poor guy in that race every time I do it though!!)

So ... I also hope I won't be a target to your snot rockets!

li10up
07-10-2006, 10:24 AM
I always thought everyone knew how to ride with no hands. I learned that almost as soon as I learned to ride. It came to a shock to me one day when I sat up to rest going down a hill...nice, smooth road going a little over 20 mph...two of the riders I was with couldn't believe I had done that. I was shocked to hear they didn't know how to ride with no hands. It feels good to sit up, rest and feel the wind.

It's not done to show off. The people who do it probably don't even think twice about it.

Signed,

knucklehead

cylegoddess
01-10-2009, 11:32 PM
I never learnt that but I did learn how to ride and read and book at the same time( my two favoritethings),but only on my home street where the neighbors knew that the book obsessed, four eyed, bike nut who has hyperactive lived, 'so watch where your driving honey.'