PDA

View Full Version : Great new bar bag - but you need to FILL it

maillotpois
04-17-2006, 01:21 PM
So I am trying out some new equipment for longer self-supported rides, including a great new handlebar bag I just installed. It's red and very pretty and spacious. I figure having it out front will encourage me to eat regularly on non-supported rides like this brevet this weekend. So I planned to use the bag on my 85 miler yesterday, and was planning to fill it to capacity with more food than I needed for this ride to get a feel for how the bike handles "loaded."

Well, turned out my rear tire, which flatted 3 times on the ride before, was soft, so I decided to change the tire as well as tube before leaving. Then it was raining and I was pretty focussed on what to wear, etc. So... I forgot to put anything in the bag. D'oh! :eek:

I realized this about 20 miles into the ride, and decided to stop by the store I usually go to in Nicasio (about 30 miles). Well, he was closed for Easter. :rolleyes: So I had to go about 40 miles to Pt. reyes Station to buy all sorts of food and beverages. But by that point, it was already too late and I was pretty tired the whole ride.

DUH!!

And on the way home, I stopped by the closed store to throw some trash away in his bins, and he came running out saying "Oh - I know I'm closed, but do you need anything? I'd hate to have someone stranded without water!" :) :) Which just reminds me why I always go to his store. Wish I'd known he was in there on my first pass.

Lise
04-21-2006, 07:24 PM
Sounds like something I'd do.

I took off on my ride today with no chapstick. No emollient for my lips at all. That's like saying "I took off without my right kidney" for me! My lips are always attended to! I just tried not to think about it too much. Enjoyed the ride anyway, but there WILL be a chapstick in the bike bag!

How nice about that store owner. That's the kind of guy who deserves our business.

Now you've got me thinking about handle bar bags. Did you get it online? Post a link to the pic?

Thanks, L.

Running Mommy
04-21-2006, 09:07 PM
Ohh I KNOW that store!! Or at least I think I do! Very nice folks in there. Pretty place to ride as well. But how is the traffic these days? I heard it's gotten pretty hectic...