PDA

View Full Version : Why you need a good screwdriver...

Lise
04-16-2006, 01:12 PM
...to get the copy of Terminator 2 out of the DVD player!

OK, not even remotely related to cycling. But have you seen the muscle definition on Linda Hamilton when she was locked up in the psych ward for (correctly) predicting the impending domination of the world by Terminators? This is a motivational DVD for me!

My "old" VCR/DVD has been sporadic at best lately. That's not good. I don't watch TV, but have the entire last season of 24 on DVD. But it was the eating of my T2 DVD that prompted me to get a new machine. Hooked up the new machine today, and pried out the DVD with a screwdriver. Hope the DVD's not destroyed! :eek: It will be replaced. :p L.

Grog
04-16-2006, 02:24 PM
I don't want to say something stupid here, but I take a chance:

isn't there a tiny tiny hole somewhere on the face of your DVD player? If so, you can use an unfolded paper clip through that tiny tiny hole to press the release button for the DVD.

It's not always there, and not always working. But it's worth a try...

Enjoy 24!

Lise
04-16-2006, 02:30 PM
I don't want to say something stupid here, but I take a chance:

isn't there a tiny tiny hole somewhere on the face of your DVD player? If so, you can use an unfolded paper clip through that tiny tiny hole to press the release button for the DVD.

It's not always there, and not always working. But it's worth a try...

Enjoy 24!
Too late! The stupid thing wasn't working anyways. It would play part of one scene and then stop. Sometimes it would start again. Sometimes not.

Thanks for the tip, though. I'm going to go look for that tiny tiny hole on the face of my new DVD player. You may have spared the life of one machine. Thanks for the 411! L.

PS: The T2 DVD is fine.

bikerz
04-16-2006, 03:45 PM
PS: The T2 DVD is fine.

Thanks goodness - there's nothing like that first scene where Linda H is doing chinups! :cool:

Lise
04-16-2006, 04:10 PM
I'm sayin'. :cool:

Trek420
04-16-2006, 05:30 PM
oh my :cool:

KnottedYet
04-17-2006, 08:11 PM
Oh, my, indeed.....

And let us not forget the chin-up scene in Aliens. Unfortunately that chickie got killed off in the first 10 minutes.

Lise
04-18-2006, 05:05 AM
Oh, my, indeed.....

And let us not forget the chin-up scene in Aliens. Unfortunately that chickie got killed off in the first 10 minutes.
ahhhh....I'd forgotten about her! Thanks for the memory! Much as I love the Ripley character, I just have a heck of a time watching scary monsters. :eek: Will replay happy scenes in my own head rather than rent it!

Trek420
04-18-2006, 06:07 AM
KnottedYet "And let us not forget the chin-up scene in Aliens. Unfortunately that chickie got killed off in the first 10 minutes."

Ah yes, they say the good always die young.

And let us not forget H. Swank in Million Dollar Baby.

But I don't need upper body strength to ride, right? That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :cool:

yellow
04-18-2006, 09:42 AM
Hellllloooooooooooooo.....

PUSHUPS, ladies. Start easy, on your knees if you have to. Work up to sets of 20. This single exercise transformed my arms into what DH now calls the best looking part of my body.

Easier than chinups, lotsa bang for the buck.

KnottedYet
04-18-2006, 07:22 PM
Ms. Swank went to my high school. Many years after I graduated, but it was the same school. Our drama teacher told her she'd never succeed. HAH!!!

Lise
04-18-2006, 07:30 PM
I'm with Yellow. I like pushups. They ease my frustration. Sometimes I go in an exam room, lock the door, put down 4 paper towels on the floor, take off my lab coat, and do 20 pushups. In a skirt and heels, whatever. I can cope with whatever's out there much better after some pushups!

I must say, though, that the first summer I rode a lot, my arms got much more muscular. I think it's just controlling the bike on city streets. I don't know though, it may have been all the pushups! It was a largely frustrating summer...:o

yellow
04-19-2006, 05:25 AM
I'm with Yellow. I like pushups. They ease my frustration.
ooooooooooooooo. I'm gonna have to try that. The last couple of days I've been having periods of hyperventilation and "ohmygawdwhatdoidonow". Perhaps throwing in some push ups will help.

Lise
04-19-2006, 08:04 PM
ooooooooooooooo. I'm gonna have to try that. The last couple of days I've been having periods of hyperventilation and "ohmygawdwhatdoidonow". Perhaps throwing in some push ups will help.
That sounds rough. Pushups can only help.

Three years ago I was involved in a malpractice law suit. (I was found not guilty). One day, at the federal courthouse, the lawyers for "our" side put me in a conference room. No books, no nothing. Big window. Told me I'd be there for 30 min. I must have been there for 2 hours. I did a lot of pushups after about 45 minutes. I took off the heels and suit jacket, and got down on the floor behind the big table and did pushups and sit ups. Sheesh.

DirtDiva
04-20-2006, 02:21 AM
A) I gotta rent some action movies. :cool:

B) I used to be able to do 20 pretty decent push-ups last summer, then I went and got gladular fever (I think you call it "mono" in the US) and stopped doing 'em. (Quite aside from the fatigue, my heartrate would skyrocket into the I-wanna-puke range after two flights of stairs. :eek: For a couple of months there I was all, like, "how the heck did I get so unfit so quick?") It just occured to me to start doing them again a few weeks ago, but it's really depressing because after months without 'em I can only manage 10-12 with pretty lousy form. :mad:

Trek420
04-20-2006, 06:00 AM
In my other sport, well, it's not a sport but anyway in Aikido push ups are often a part of warm ups. I used to rip off 20 and even the "fancy" ones, finger tip, on the fists, backwards, back of the wrist..

I still like putting one foot behind the other so more weight's on my arms. I can manage 10 now. Used to think that was just 'cause there's more of me to lift :rolleyes: but, yeah, I'm out of shape.

MomOnBike
04-20-2006, 06:26 AM
Pushups my left arm!

I keep reading the title of this thread and thinking "Yep, a screwdriver sounds pretty good. Where's the orange juice?"

But that's just me.

And speaking of movies, in the deservedly obscure Drumline, there is a pushup scene, where the girl out-pushups all the macho men. Not really worth renting the movie to watch, though.

DirtDiva
04-20-2006, 06:42 AM
I keep reading the title of this thread and thinking "Yep, a screwdriver sounds pretty good. Where's the orange juice?"
I like the way you think. :D

sydney_b
04-21-2006, 08:01 AM
Pushups my left arm!

I keep reading the title of this thread and thinking "Yep, a screwdriver sounds pretty good. Where's the orange juice?".

no doubt! altho push ups do also hit abs to a degree so if one is into some strength training, they're an efficient use of time ... at least thats what i tell my spouse.

;)

Lise
04-21-2006, 05:06 PM
I cannot...no, I do not do "boy" pushups. The "girl" pushups with bent knees are hard enough for me. Maybe by the end of the summer I'll be doing them with straight legs. Forget the fancy stuff though! And, sorry about the misleading header! :p

KnottedYet
04-21-2006, 06:13 PM
I like doing "planks", because I like the ab control. (and I can only do girl push-ups, too.) Someday when my arms are strong enough for boy push-ups, my abs will be ready!

Prone planks are done in boy-push-up position, but instead of your weight being on your hands, it's on your elbows/forearms. You just hold yourself there for as long as you can without sagging. Then do it again twice more.

Side planks are awesome for giving me a WAIST cuz they really kick in my obliques. You lie on your side, with your weight on the outside of one foot and one forearm. Do 3 times on one side, 3 times on the other.

Yes, I admire my own belly in the bathroom mirror.... It's nice to actually like my stomach again! :D

Lise
04-21-2006, 06:20 PM
Oh, yeah....I know what planks are. Whew. I'm impressed. But, if I want a stomach that I'll ever admire (seems unlikely, but who knew I'd become a triathlete?!), I'd better get on those planks. Seems they're more effective than crunches. They sure as heck are harder! :rolleyes:

KnottedYet
04-21-2006, 09:00 PM
Crunches are not "functional" (how often do we fold ourselves in half in the real world?) so they don't really train the core muscles much. Just rectus abdominus "six pack" muscle. Planks (and Pilates, and Yoga, and dance) are more functional, kick in your transversus abdominus, and get your lumbar and pelvic stabilizers and slow twitch postural muscles all warm and happy.

At least, that's how I rationalize my distaste for crunches! ;)

When I want to really make myself tired I do bridges with my feet on a physioball. Straight leg, bent leg, and curling-toward-you. I can only do 5 or 10 of each. I aspire to 20 of each. My abs and hamstrings cry out for mercy.

And I aspire to the next step in the plank progression: side planks where you lift and lower the top leg. I can't do that yet at all.

three
04-24-2006, 07:50 PM
So, I have to admit that I was thinking Screwdriver in terms of orange juice too. But, I was happy to see someone else chatting about a movie that they find inspiring and others may think silly. This is almost like a confession, but I have a movie that I pop in for inspiration too...it's kind of a secret. I'm a closet fan of GI Jane, with Demi Moore. There's this montage of her working out in her dorm at the Navy Seal camp and it always inspires me. Fake boobs or not, she's pretty ripped in that movie. You guys are talking about doing pushups, but my goal would be the chin ups (which she breezes through) and the hanging by the knees from a bar crunches...those I just don't get, but I hope to be able to do one (or more) someday. Any other confessionally inspiring movies out there?

doc
04-25-2006, 02:53 AM
When I want to really make myself tired I do bridges with my feet on a physioball. Straight leg, bent leg, and curling-toward-you. I can only do 5 or 10 of each. I aspire to 20 of each. My abs and hamstrings cry out for mercy.

And I aspire to the next step in the plank progression: side planks where you lift and lower the top leg. I can't do that yet at all.

So true. How about planks on your whole forearm? (i.e elbows bent). Killer!

DirtDiva
04-25-2006, 02:55 AM
Haha. Those are hilarious. (Maybe my sense of humour is a little twisted, though.) My whole body starts shaking within about three seconds.

I will do a chin-up. One day. :rolleyes: