PDA

View Full Version : Fixing broken pedal

RoxGirl77
08-05-2003, 07:47 PM
I just realized that one side of one of my clipless pedals (shimano style) was extremely loose and would not keep my cleat in. Turns out I lost a pad that is used to keep pressure on the cleat as it is in place.

Do any of you ladies know of a place on line to buy parts to fix pedals of this nature? I am sure it's an easy fix. (However, buying new pedals wouldn't be a bad idea either!:p )

DoubleLori
08-05-2003, 11:05 PM
That's a very good question. We used to be able to get all kinds of spare parts from "Loose Screws" but they went out of business :(

I don't know who carries small parts anymore. Does anyone else know? Even Nashbar doesn't carry a whole lot anymore. Everything has become disposable these days -- break any part of it and you typically have to get a new one.

Veronica
08-06-2003, 04:12 AM
Go to your LBS and ask them. Shimano is infamous for making things not repairable though so you just may have to get those new pedals. :p

Veronica

RoxGirl77
08-06-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Veronica
Go to your LBS and ask them. Shimano is infamous for making things not repairable though so you just may have to get those new pedals. :p

Veronica

Will look into this idea. Thanks Veronica, you are soo smart!:D

adkoch
08-07-2003, 03:42 PM
This thread is very timely, as I too, just broke my cleat in the same way! Took it to the LBS, who first scoffed at the brand (Scott, which I guess it old!?), then scoffed at the idea of fixing it. So, I bought a set of clearance MTB clips, since I hope to get a new bike, soon, anyway! ;)

RoxGirl77
08-07-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by adkoch
This thread is very timely, as I too, just broke my cleat in the same way! Took it to the LBS, who first scoffed at the brand (Scott, which I guess it old!?), then scoffed at the idea of fixing it. So, I bought a set of clearance MTB clips, since I hope to get a new bike, soon, anyway! ;)

OMG!:eek: Mine are Scott's too! I loved them! (well, they were my very first clipless pedals.)

So, looks like I'm in the market to buy new pedals...:rolleyes:
I'd rather just buy the whole bike... you know the markup on parts like pedals is ridiculous!

missliz
09-09-2003, 11:37 PM
I see two problems here-

1- There is nothing wrong with Scott pedals. Your LBS is just a bunch of fashion victims in two hundred dollar sunglasses.

2- A Good LBS rarely throws anything away, presicely because they now need to scavenge stuff for small parts. Or to fix classic bikes with seven cog drivetrains- remember those? My guy would screw up your day playing around trying to fabricate something when you just want to get the new pedals and get out. Unless the fabulously hot Joe is working that day. :p

However, there's a bigger profit margin in selling you a new set of pedals. And truly well trained mechanics who can do even simple stuff like that are rare. Try getting a cup and cone bottom bracket overhauled. Most of the kids in the average LBS have never seen one. They suck, (c&c bbs) but if that's what your trashy errand bike has it needs grease every ten years or so.
Wow, am I a cranky old lady! Parts as we now know them pretty much date from 1990, and most of them are great- All praise the suspension fork! but the whole disposable parts thing is irritating. Shimano is the worst about it too.

Lizzy

Oh- Men have no business scoffing at a ladies bike. Not the behavior of a gentleman. Find them on a trail and smoke their poser butts. Nothing puts people in their place like an overwhelming show of speed and general bike handling superiority. It'll stop all that scoffing nonsense, too.