PDA

View Full Version : The hill is mine!

moo bean
04-15-2006, 03:31 AM
I've been intending to ride to my parents' place for a while now, but I've been intimidated by having to cross the Roseville Bridge to get there. The far side of the bridge is a one-mile climb steep enough to test the engine of my car (admittedly it's a small car).

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v683/lelak/Roseville_Bridge_climb.jpg

Today I did it. Averaging 9km/h (5.6mph) the whole way up, but I just kept plugging along. I will fear no hills.

enzed
04-15-2006, 03:45 AM
Congrats with climbing the hill. I live near Dee Why & have ridden that road a few times. It's a bit on the steep side, but if you get in your lower gears & keep spinning away, it's not that bad. I find the traffic along that section of Warringah Rd more of a threat actually.
By the way, if you're after something really challenging, head towards Kurring-gai Chase National park. The climb out of Akuna Bay is a beauty!

Lise
04-15-2006, 05:05 AM
Good for you! It'll never stop you again :D !

tprevost
04-15-2006, 06:15 AM
Whooo Hooo! Fabulous job!! I made it up one of "those" hills recently and it sure does add to the confidence.

Are you showing your 'hill' to everyone so they can see what you've accomplished? You should!

Tracy

Selkie
04-15-2006, 06:53 AM
This calls for some chocolate, to celebrate your accomplishment!! Go going.

Popoki_Nui
04-15-2006, 08:36 AM
Good for you. Feels great, doesn't it! Your success is insipational for me: there are a few killer hills around here I need to conquer! :eek:

RoadRaven
04-15-2006, 11:42 AM
Thats the way to conquer any hill, Moo...

Decide you can and will, then get in a rythym and stick with it... ignore anyone else approaching, passing or sitting on your tail. :cool: Its your rythym, and thats what will get you up...

There are a few hills on my regular rides where I sit at 5-7km/h and just chug along. My aim is to get faster, because then I spend less time chugging, but chugging along gets me there.

And thanks for posting the pic... thats one damn loooong hill to chug up. you should absolutely feel well proud.
thanks for the pic and modest words, another inspiring tale to motivate me :)

Barb
04-16-2006, 08:02 AM
Wow that is some hill! I am soo afraid of hills. It is extremely flat where I live. You are an inspiration!

Polly
04-16-2006, 08:51 AM
i too am afraid of hills - in fact I think I probably average 5.6 on the flat!

I once met Gary Fisher at a bike race, he said he fixes something in his head at the right cadence to pedal to.... " Drink. Beer. Drink. Beer. Drink Beer "