PDA

View Full Version : Clean Shorts

three
04-13-2006, 02:31 PM
Hello everyone! I'm new to cycling and this forum. I've been reading through many of the threads on here to see if I can get my initial questions answered. I've been successful with some (I'll be buying a Diva-cup or Moon-cup soon) but, one remains. Everything I've read online speaks to the importance of wearing clean cycling shorts. Obviously, I would think it's important to avoid allowing too much bacteria to grow. I recently got my first pair of cycling shorts ever, and I'm still getting used to wearing them (and commando at that). Here's the issue. I change my underwear everyday, that's what we're supposed to do. But, my cycling shorts get used and thereby exposed to dainty parts that release certain fluids and I don't throw them in the laundry? It's not like I have lots of pairs of them, or can afford any others right now. How many times do I wear them before I wash them? (1) And, how do I wash them to keep them in good condition? (2) I like my bras, they aren't cheap...so I wash by hand so as to keep them around as long as possible. Do I have to do the same for cycling shorts? (3) Finally, how long are they supposed to last...how long does the padding in them stay good? (4) Sorry this is so long and if it's stupid. I asked my bf and he didn't see why my shorts would be treated any differently than his. Maybe I'm totally wrong, but I figured that the biology of a woman (discharge and cycles) might impact how often to clean or how to clean. ???

bike4ever
04-13-2006, 02:36 PM
I will only wear them once then wash; however, I have 3 pairs of shorts. At my Women's Cycling Seminar last week, our Sugoi rep suggested to the group to take the shorts into the shower and wash them out while you shower. She said that she has done this for years and will then wash them every 3 rides or so. Hope this helps.

Robbin_G
04-13-2006, 02:41 PM
I'm a shower washer. I don't have a W/D and don't trust my laundry service with things like this. :)

Dianyla
04-13-2006, 02:47 PM
I think it's good to have at least two pairs of good shorts, but yes it does get expensive to have more than that. I often handwash a pair in the sink if I don't want to do a full load of laundry.

As for bacterial stuff, well... I have a little bit of a theory on that which may sound a little kooky. As we all know, healthy woman should have a good flora balance which has beneficial bacteria that fight off bad bacteria and yeast. Well, I figure that my shorts probably have their own healthy flora culture that develops over time.

I never bleach or completely sanitize my shorts because residues from these cleansers invariably affects my own flora. So I just use a very mild unscented detergent and water to clean my shorts and rinse very well. If I'm fighting a yeast infection and have to ride, I'll use a bunch of miconazole cream on the chamois pad instead of just running dry or using the typical chamois butter.

Also, I often carry wet wipes on long rides to make sure that I've thoroughly wiped especially if I've had to go #2 - since I don't want any of that culture growing in my shorts!

Derf
04-13-2006, 03:27 PM
I have three pairs and wash them after every wearing. I just wash on delicate with Tide and put in dryer on low (no fabric softener as this screws up the wicking properties of these fabrics). All three pairs are at least 1 1/2 years old and are fine.

Tater
04-13-2006, 03:39 PM
I wash mine in the shower, unless I have a full load of laundry. But, I always air dry them. I rotate between three favorite pairs, so there is always one on the shower bar for Mr. Tater to take down in the morning before his shower! :rolleyes:

matagi
04-13-2006, 04:26 PM
I only have one pair at the moment so I wash after every wear. If I have other delicates that need washing at the same time then I use the washing machine (I have a front loading washing machine which is more gentle on clothing than a top loader) and I use the wool cycle with liquid detergent. If I don't have anything else to wash, then I soap the pad with a bar of pure laundry soap, then put the shorts in a bucket of water to soak for about 30mins then rinse and hang out to dry.

I like the shower idea, very efficient.

tulip
04-13-2006, 06:17 PM
After every ride. One nasty yeast infection and you'll see the value in having several pair of shorts so you'll always have one pair clean.

KSH
04-13-2006, 07:04 PM
For the longest time I only had one pair of shorts.

So, after a ride... right when I got home... I would pop them in the washing machine. Detergent only... no fabric softner... hang dry.

They dry overnight just fine.

You can own only 1 pair and wash them everytime... easy.

withm
04-13-2006, 07:10 PM
I have 3 pr bike shorts. I just throw them in the washing machine and rationalize they are black so they can go with darks, or they are light weight, throw them in with the whites. No special soap I use unscented All for everything (except wool sweaters). I do mostly hang them to dry, but if time is an issue, they might go into the dryer once in a while. I figure I'll wear em out way sooner than the washing machine can hurt them. My time is worth way more than another pair of shorts. Even the oldest pair which almost always has been machine dried shows no signs of wear after 3 yrs. Then again I don't hand wash anything!

KnottedYet
04-13-2006, 08:16 PM
I wash mine everytime, in the machine with my usual biodegradable natural non-irritationg CHEAP Trader Joe's laundry soap and usually with other clothes, too. I let them airdry overnight. Even my $19 Nashbar shorts have survived that treatment. They're almost 9 years old now, and just starting to fall apart enough that I'll only wear them as "liners". I have 3 pairs of shorts that I rotate through, so there is always a dry clean pair when I need them. (all different brands) I plan to get a pair of Ibex knickers next, and they will get the same treatment, too.

kjay
04-13-2006, 09:02 PM
I have four pairs of knickers and wait until they've all been worn (once) and then throw them, socks, and jerseys into a front-loader on a gentle cycle. I use Assos cleaning liquid, which has a really clean and nice scent, and a little goes a very long way. It is one of my indulgences.

shadon
04-13-2006, 09:46 PM
can someone explain shower washing shorts. I get the feeling that this could save me some time. I wash my shorts by hand, and I hate it!

miffy'sFuji
04-13-2006, 10:06 PM
hey there shadon,

I have a pretty decent setup for washing and item or two out in the shower. I keep a dishwashing type tub in the shower (I have a bathtub-shower setup. One could get a small bucket and it would serve the same purpose. That would work better in a single shower setup). If I'm going to wash my shorts out in the shower, I'll sometimes prefill that tub with warm water and soap and let the shorts (or what I am washing) soak a bit. Then I hop into the shower, get clean, agitate my hand washable and rinse it off under the shower head. I also keep a few plastic hangers handy, so that I can either hang my items on the shower head, or just outside on the towel rack. Then I rinse. :D

Lise
04-14-2006, 04:31 AM
That is a great idea! This summer's laundry just got easier! I pay $1.00 in quarters to wash a load of laundry, so I make sure I've got a load to do before I shell out the quarters. Like others, I don't want to wear biking shorts twice (don't wear my undies twice, and I don't sweat as much in my undies as I do my biking shorts!). But it means I'm often "creating" a load just to get the shorts clean. I like the bottle of Penguin sport wash I got at the running store. I'll try a dishpan in the tub and a splash of soap. Thanks, ladies!

DrBee
04-14-2006, 05:43 AM
I have 2 pairs of shorts and definitely wash them after I wear them. I like the shower idea - I'll have to try that.

You can always pick up a relatively inexpensive pair on Nashbar or Performance for under $30. They work fine while you're saving up for the more expensive shorts. Just a thought.

CorsairMac
04-14-2006, 06:11 AM
ok - this is just gonna blow everyones mind but I wash mine based on miles. Since I"m a bike commuter and I avg 12 miles a day, I wear my shorts for 2 days - or 24 miles. If I do a noon ride then I wash my shorts every day since a noon ride is 10-15 miles or 22-27 miles that day. I do wash them in cold water and hang them to dry and I use Tide since that's the only thing that seems to keep the shorts and jerseys smelling fresh. I own 6 pairs of long shorts and 4 pairs of short shorts so I have shorts for the weekend just in case I do use a pair every day (or I've gone over a week without doing laundry {see the how many jerseys is too many thread lol}) To date I haven't had any issues with yeast infections or saddle sores caused by wearing a pair of shorts for more than 1 day. I've even - :eek: - taken Fridays commuter shorts which have only been worn for 12 miles and worn them for a 20+ ride on Saturday before throwing them in the wash.

Bad JuJu
04-14-2006, 08:17 AM
I understand the "our own healthy flora" theory, and I also think that we can sometimes attempt to be too clean for our own good--keeps us from building up our body's own defenses.

Having said that, however, I don't know if I could bear to put on a pair of shorts I'd already worn without washing them. On the other hand, I live in Florida, so maybe my cycling clothes get sweatier and funkier than they would in a drier, cooler climate.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention an idea for machine-washing--in addition to using a mild biodegradable cleaner and the delicate cycle, I put my shorts in a lingerie bag for washing. This saves them from some of the wear-and-tear of machine agitation. And hang dry them every time--the dryer is notoriously tough on delicate fabrics. Though I suppose it might not be a bad idea to run them through the dryer on the air cycle, with no heat.

Just some ideas, though I admit I really like that washing-in-the-shower idea, too.

Trekhawk
04-14-2006, 08:37 AM
When I get back from a ride I pop all of my cycling gear in my front loader together. At this time of year that includes tights and jacket. I wash them on the hand wash cycle and then air dry them on a rack (inside if the weather is horrid outside on the deck if nice). This seems to work well for me but I do have three sets of bike shorts.

three
04-14-2006, 09:08 AM
Thanks for all the tips and information. I'll try the shower thing today. Hopefully, I'll be able to afford another pair (or two) sooner than later.

bcipam
04-14-2006, 09:48 AM
I wash my shorts, jerseys and underwear all in the regular wash (delicates, cold) but hang them up to dry. I've never had a problem and the garments stay nice. I've washed them in the shower but only when travelling and I don't have a washing machine handy. Assos makes a wash product that is good to use on trips.

PS: I have alot of shorts so I wear once and wash. Best to have 3 pairs to rotate. Watch for sales and buy when the price is right.

Geonz
04-14-2006, 09:53 AM
I think time is more of the factor.

I thought "shower washing" was when I got home from the ride all sweaty, peeled off, leaped in the shower and just tossed the shorts & jersey & bra in there with me and kneaded it with my toes in the shampooey soapy water coming off my hair....

caligurl
04-14-2006, 10:00 AM
i wash my shorts after every wear (just like i wash my underwear after every wear!)

i was all my cycling stuff in the washer... i use dye-free, scent-free detergents (was advised that woolite is one of the harshest detergents out there.. and to use the "free" stuff for delicates!)

i do not use fabric softener on my cycling clothes (or workout clothes, either)

i hang all my cycling.... usually inside.. (but ocassionally i'll get ambitious and hang them outside! lol!)

Dianyla
04-14-2006, 12:37 PM
CorsairMac, I'm with you on the "12 mile rule" for rewearing shorts. It's like the 5-second rule for dropped food on the floor. :p

RoadRaven
04-14-2006, 12:55 PM
eeewwww... def wash shorts after every ride... never wear twice in a row...

I have a net bag that hangs in the laundry, and all cyclists chuck their cycling gear in there - socks, jersey, shorts (and for me, crop top).

That way, if I can't wash straight away, they are aired and don't sit in a corner getting damp and growing stuff :eek:

Then they go through a normal machine wash, and pref a sun-dry otherwise they get hung in the kitchen near the windows...

The other reason to be "onto it" with washing and never wearing twice unless unavoidable is "refuse" if you will from other parts of the behind... one of the riders in the house regularly leaves a trace of skid-marks in his shorts... now for girls, letting fecal bits near your girly bits can cause major probs... another reason to ALWAYS wear clean shorts.

Dianyla
04-14-2006, 02:58 PM
one of the riders in the house regularly leaves a trace of skid-marks in his shorts... now for girls, letting fecal bits near your girly bits can cause major probs... another reason to ALWAYS wear clean shorts.
I thought skidmarks, dingleberries, and the like were primarily a "guy thing". I wipe very carefully and repeat it as many times as necessary to get the job done and it's never been a problem for me. Besides, if I commute, I'm not going to bring a spare pair to wear on the ride home. :confused:

DirtDiva
04-14-2006, 03:26 PM
Besides, if I commute, I'm not going to bring a spare pair to wear on the ride home. :confused:
Exactly. I've got more of a one-pair-per-day rule.

RoadRaven
04-15-2006, 12:04 PM
I thought skidmarks, dingleberries, and the like were primarily a "guy thing". I wipe very carefully and repeat it as many times as necessary to get the job done and it's never been a problem for me. Besides, if I commute, I'm not going to bring a spare pair to wear on the ride home. :confused:

Hey there Dianyla
I think you are right re women doing a generally better job of wiping, but I was endeavouring to allude to other bodily functions like farting (am i allowed to write fart? guess I'll find out :p )
When one considers that research shows that we should not keep our toothbrushes in the same room as our toilet because fecal matter can be found in minute particles in the air up to 1 1/2 metres away after the flush...

... then I think if we fart on our ride (and c'mon, it would be a rare person who hasn't farted at least once on at least one ride...) then fecal matter in miunte particles will come out :eek: and while that is fine for the ride, to leave it to mingle with the usual secretions from our girly bits and grow delightful things til the next ride a day or two later... ewww...

And no Dianyla and Kiwi, sorry to be unclear, I didn't mean take two pairs of shorts in a day, I often bike to work, leave my shorts somewhere to dry as best they can and then wear them home again. However, the first thing I do when I get home is get rid of the shorts and if I can't shower or bathe straight away then I slap on some aftershave and go commando til I can.

Geonz
04-17-2006, 06:34 AM
Gosh, I always thought 'dingleberry' meant "low-end, cheap" as in a "dingleberry computer" ... my vocabulary grows@!

li10up
04-17-2006, 09:53 AM
Drying your shorts in sunlight (chamois facing out) will kill the nasty buggers trying to grow on them...ultraviolet light...not good for us, not good for them!

CorsairMac
04-17-2006, 10:52 AM
I guess I don't understand - what is the difference between wearing a pair of shorts say 12 miles, hanging them up and wearing them again the next day?....and wearing one pair of shorts for a 50-100 mile ride? The risk of exposure, and/or whatever else could happen by wearing the same pair of shorts 2 days in a row would - I think - be doubled by wearing that same pair of shorts for a long ride due to increased friction, sweat, exposure, etc. I don't carry extra shorts with me on my commute and I'll do a lunch ride in 90-100+ heat and wear those same shorts for my commute home. I just view it as "resting" the shorts between rides coz on a weekend I would wear 1 pair of shorts for a 50+ mile ride in 90-100+ heat. I guess I don't see the difference but am open to opinions.

DrBee
04-17-2006, 12:49 PM
When one considers that research shows that we should not keep our toothbrushes in the same room as our toilet because fecal matter can be found in minute particles in the air up to 1 1/2 metres away after the flush...

I think there was a "MythBusters" episode about that...

alpinerabbit
04-17-2006, 01:08 PM
You would not even want to have detailed knowledge of what grows in your oral cavity otherwise, so a few coliforms can't hurt.

RoadRaven
04-17-2006, 02:16 PM
Gosh, I always thought 'dingleberry' meant "low-end, cheap" as in a "dingleberry computer" ... my vocabulary grows@!

A dingle-berry (in this context) is a little bit of s**t that has attached itself in a tiny clump to hair/s round the "exit hole" :eek:

Down under they are commonly seen on sheep and we call them "dags" :p

RoadRaven
04-17-2006, 02:55 PM
I guess I don't understand - what is the difference between wearing a pair of shorts say 12 miles, hanging them up and wearing them again the next day?....and wearing one pair of shorts for a 50-100 mile ride?

I guess, as always, its personal...

For example, knickers... I wear them only once, whether I have worn them for a few hours or for 14 hours, and then they are in the laundry.
If I have a choice, I wear shorts for the least ammount of time I can, beacuse not only are there "normal" secretions etc but also all the sweat.

I really don't know, Corsair, I just know that given the choice I will wear a pair of shorts for the duration of that ride (whether its 1/2 hour or whether its hours) only once. And as soon as the ride is done, off come the shorts.

RoadRaven
04-17-2006, 02:58 PM
I think there was a "MythBusters" episode about that...

LOL... probably - I lurve that programme.

I remember the "5 second rule" with food being tested, and the toilet seat actually grew less yucky things than the other surfaces they tested... it was cleaner to eat off the Mythbusters Workshop toilet seat than from the floors there!

susanm8048
04-22-2006, 08:01 PM
I'm suprised that nobody has mentioned the good old " Sniff Test".:eek:

Enough said!

iFKA
04-23-2006, 01:18 AM
This is little embarrassing but I have no one to ask. So please help, and don't laugh.Two years ago I went on a 2 week ride and of course I couldn't carry many things. The things is... In that period I had my period and I wore tampons but I also sticked one little daily libresse liner on my bike panties cause I haven't had the opportunity to wash it every day :eek: . We slept in tents and it was quite ascetic. And I thought it's not harmful cause libresse has it's upper part made out of natural materials and it supposed to breathe.

My question is... is it o.k. to put a daily liner during your period time which I could change more often or is it better to wore just your suit and a tampon although you don't have the opportunity to clean it every day. cause maybe the thing with "liners breathing" is not so as the commercials says.:confused:

I need help cause I would also like to go this year on a trip and it's hard to combine free days on work (mine and my boyfriend's) the weather and my period

doc
04-23-2006, 03:48 AM
iFKA You have got to get the diva cup (or keeper or moon cup...). Please search for those threads and learn all about them. Or go to divacup.com and keeper.com

Menstrual fluid rinses out of the chamois surprisingly easily. So even if you can't officially wash, can you just rinse your shorts in the evening? Either way I would avoid using a liner. There is no way re-using a liner is more hygienic than just re-using shorts. And you are opening up yourself to the possibility of chafing.

Your trips sound like fun! I think I'm too old and spoiled to really rough-it anymore.

iFKA
04-23-2006, 03:59 AM
I haven't re-used the liner :o I had a whole packet and I've changed the liner every few hours... But thank you for the information about the diva cup

and yes... it is soooooo fun :D But after you return home you appreciate more simple things like shower, pillow or just being able to sit on the toilet as long as you want ;)

betagirl
04-23-2006, 04:26 AM
This is a great thread :D

I typically am a 1 ride per shorts girl, but have reused shorts where the ride I just did was relatively short. Like, if I ride 15 miles and don't get all sweaty then they're "safe" to me, though it grosses me out a little if I think about it too much. Don't ask me why, maybe I'm a little of a germaphobe. :) But after a longer ride, forget recycling them. I have also used the wash in the shower technique, typically on RAGBRAI where no washing machines are available and you have to pack somewhat light for the week.

DebW
04-23-2006, 05:25 AM
I will also get double duty out of a pair of shorts if the ride wasn't too long and I didn't sweat much.

AutumnBreez
04-23-2006, 05:48 AM
I commute to work and when I get there I use my thin portable box of wet wipes (found in baby isle) to clean myself before dressing. Then I use a couple more new wipes and wipe down my chamis pad best I can, because I have to put the stuff back in my bag after getting dressed for work. I have a mesh bag to put the shorts in, then back pack along with sportbra/jersey. I put the shorts back on when commuting back home.

doc
04-23-2006, 07:44 AM
I haven't re-used the liner :o I had a whole packet and I've changed the liner every few hours... But thank you for the information about the diva cup

Ooops. Silly me.

You'll love the diva for these types of trips because you don't have to bring tampons or liners or anything else.

Lise
09-23-2006, 01:32 PM
Sorry, L.A. Can't come on here and start attacking our established members. Time to leave and not come back.

Unless....I'm so, so wrong, and you introduce yourself as requested, and turn out to be someone appropriate to post on these boards. Waiting for that. :rolleyes:

Kitsune06
09-23-2006, 03:00 PM
It's not a skidmark unless it's fecal matter

...and besides, discharges are acidic in nature, having an antibacterial, cleansing effect, so they're *hardly* dirty... but I'm getting distracted from my point.

I'm seeing everything from 1 use only to 2+ uses...

I'm wondering if one of the major variables here might be the presence (and amount of) natural discharge etc?
I know the saying goes "If you have to say TMI, just shut up." but I'm going to say "Probably TMI" anyway.... (as if it matters. You ladies taught me how to use a Diva cup!)
I find that even after a short ride, maybe from the saddle or something, dunno, not going into it, but there's a lot of discharge. It's more of a concern for me than sweat... b/c I have no problem re-wearing sweaty items.

It's that that has me just rolling up a pair of cheap, wicking underwear real tiny and throwing it in my commuter bag as an 'extra' and wearing another pair to work under the shorts. I only have one pair, though I'm looking into the cheaper nashbar ones, too. Wicking undies can go into the shower with me and get washed/rinsed (Dr. Bronners liquid soap) wrung out and tucked into my jersey to dry until I go home.

Kitsune06
09-23-2006, 03:20 PM
FTR, I wouldn't re-wear it, but I know well enough it's not 'dirty' just uncomfortable. Lots of women have huge bodily fluid hangups. *shrug* Lots don't.

BTW, I don't think you could adequately judge, not quite having the same issues etc yourself. I would liken it to rewearing a balaclava or neoprene facemask that you breathed into and got cold-air snot on. Same antibacterial principals except in salt form. Less squick factor because... *shrug* who knows why.

pooks
09-24-2006, 07:36 AM
Upthread somebody said "no fabric softener." I've been using natural detergent and fabric softener from Whole Foods for quite awhile and it never occurred to me not to use the softener on my bike shorts. (Although I admit I may not have read the laundry instructions, maybe?)

So is that pretty standard info, no softener?

Kitsune06
09-24-2006, 08:29 AM
I think so... softeners also make fabrics less absorbent, which is *not* what you need in a chamois, imo... :p

margo49
09-24-2006, 10:51 AM
I dunno where I got it from but my theory is that fabric softeners clog up the little channels of the wicking materials - dri-fit's and similar

BleeckerSt_Girl
09-24-2006, 05:13 PM
Fabric softeners have their uses- in the dryer, they are great for allowing clothes to release the lint or pet hair that might be stubbornly clinging to material (especially to polar fleece, the mother of all cat hair magnets!).
On the other hand, fabric softener will make cotton towels softer but less absorbant- and if you want the most absorbancy, then skip the softener.

RoadRaven
09-25-2006, 10:40 AM
If you are using a fabric softener be careful if you have sensitive skin - some people have reactions to fabric softeners and you def don't want THAT kind've reaction down there!

Vinegar makes a good fabric softener - plus its kinder on your wallet, washing machine, and skin...