PDA

View Full Version : ETA New Sport Bean Flavors

Nanci
04-11-2006, 07:27 AM
I asked the eBay seller I always buy from, he says the company expects the new flavors in two weeks, and he will have them shortly afterwards.

I can't wait!! I live on these things now!

Nanci

maillotpois
04-11-2006, 07:47 AM
I missed out. Our local little mom and pop grocery store had them for a bit and now they don't. I think I'm sticking with clif blocks for now, but I would love to try these. Nanci how many packs did you put away in the brevet??

Nanci
04-11-2006, 07:56 AM
Not that many, this time. Maybe four? When I'm not distracted, and eating other stuff, especially choc milk, I do about one pack/hour. And that's restraining myself!

Nanci

maillotpois
04-11-2006, 08:02 AM
I'm thinking for the brevet (_IF_ I do it), I will stick with the blocks. Maybe throw in a few packs of the beans, though. And a bacon double cheeseburger :p .

Nanci
04-11-2006, 08:49 AM
There's just no way to predict, on a ride that long, what will taste good, except Sport Beans always taste good. Maybe it's the salt. One of my meals was MDX (Mountain Dew super caffeine drink) and Funyums. I can always get down flavored milk, too. I used to bring one Sport Beans and one bar of any type, (Power Bar, Mojo, Luna, Fruit Trekker- I have a whole bunch of them I like) per hour of riding, but I found that, expecially as the day went on, I was more likely to not eat on the bike, except munching a few SB's, and then eat whatever appealed at the convenience store stops. I'd have to stop anyway for more Gatorade and to check in and for bathroom breaks, plus we're encouraged to spend money at the places that act as controls, so it wasn't like I was losing any time by having to stop.

Nanci

maillotpois
04-11-2006, 10:14 AM
I remember reading one of your emails where you talked about carrying bars you didn't eat. I ALWAYS do that. I have bars I have carried for hundreds of miles and never wanted them!

Big thing for me now are those bar-like power bagels. I will probably get 4 or 5 of those and bring them. Nuts and fruit in them. Yum!

But you're right - you just NEVER know what's going to appeal to you. I think it will be a challenge to keep enough food coming in. (That's never a challenge any other time, of course!)

Nanci
04-11-2006, 11:36 AM
Yeah, and you're gonna be out in the middle of Death Valley- no convenience stores out there to graze from. Do you get a crew? Then you just pack your van full of anything you could possibly want. I like de-fizzed Coke really a lot when it's in the 90's. And watermelon cubes. That's my hot weather running survival food. I did this trail 50k once, and they had Scooby Snacks- like little mini graham crackers, like Teddy Grahams. I ate a TON of them, so bought them for the next run like that, and I just didn't have the taste for them ever again. You could have a cooler with Energy Ice Gels and Bars, frozen!!! Those things are _so_ good!! _If_ it's legal to have a crew...

Nanci

maillotpois
04-11-2006, 11:50 AM
Oh - we're talking apples and oranges here. Sort of.

The 508 isn't til October. My plan was to do it as a 2 person team, but my original partner (may have) bailed. I do have someone else I can do it with, but was kicking around the idea of doing it on my own. Realizing that was lame - wihtout more rando experience - I've signed up for a 600k locally here (N. CA) on 4/22 (less than 2 weeks! yikes!). So the 600 is the thing I am debating, etc. And I have pretty much decided I will do it - if it is not going to rain on me the entire time.

The 508 is probably a go, it's just a question of format. I feel like I have to try this 600k and maybe it will convince me that doing the 508 solo is insane. The 508 also hs about 30,000 feet of climbing. I expect this 600k will be more in the 15K range.

For the 508, you have a crew - very different animal than most brevets. Your car is supposed to follow you, etc., so lights are required but not as critical as when you're in the boonies all alone. You have lots of food and support, etc.

Nanci
04-11-2006, 04:00 PM
I'm sure you'll do fine on a 600k. All you have to do is keep going. "After 200 miles, nothing changes." :-) Just keep telling yourself that. Sure it's a really long day, followed by a long day. But if everything is all right, bike fit, nutrition, electrolytes, etc., and you have sufficient base, which I would consider the ability to ride 200 miles and not die, and the ability to ride 100 miles as a fun training ride, then you should be ok.

Even if you don't have someone to do 508 with, chances are you'll fall in with someone. I almost always do. For the later parts when it matters most, anyway.

Nanci

maillotpois
04-11-2006, 04:11 PM
...and you have sufficient base, which I would consider the ability to ride 200 miles and not die, and the ability to ride 100 miles as a fun training ride, then you should be ok.

Nanci

I do have that base, it's the leap to 375 that makes me wonder. But you're always so encouraging!! Thanks!

Bike Goddess
04-12-2006, 01:02 PM
I use the sport beans as well. Like Orange or Lemon. Work great in the hot weather!

MP- The big difference will probably NOT be the miles. It will be the HEAT and/or the WIND! (I'm sure Baldino has told you this already!)

Keep doing those long rides, however! At least you'll know you can handle the distance and whatever food issues that might come up for you. (I think your body changes its way of handling food after a certain point- it seems to be related to time on bike and lack of sleep)

IF I were you, I'd do the 508 first with another person. Get to know the course, and the checkpoints, the climbs, etc. (I'm saying this as a crewmember who watched how 2 riders did plus others on the course)

You might try to talk with C Berge if you haven't already.

Good luck on the brevet! Rain? What's that you say??????

jobob
04-12-2006, 07:22 PM
I found the Sport Beans at Long's Drugs today for 79 cents a pack. They were in a stand-alone cardboard display near the sports nutrition section. I wasn't even looking for them, I noticed them when I, um, bumped into the display :o

mtbdarby
04-13-2006, 11:07 AM
I was just down at the LBS. Mentioned them and - yegads - they'd never heard of them! All the young mechanics were in and hollered "yeah, lets try 'em" so they ordered a case. Feel the power! Can't wait to try them.

Nanci
04-25-2006, 12:08 PM
I just bought 12 packs on eBay!!

Nanci

Running Mommy
04-25-2006, 04:29 PM
Ohhh fruit punch?? I'm thinking hawaiian punch! YUMMERS!!:D

Nanci
04-25-2006, 05:06 PM
It'll be hard to beat lime, but we'll see! I was hoping for Blue Berry, but this will do. They'll be here in time for 3 State 3 Mountain!!

Nanci

Nanci
05-02-2006, 05:07 PM
Tried the Punch flavored Sport Beans at the horrible Tour de Forts. They were yummilicious.

Nanci

maillotpois
05-02-2006, 05:09 PM
What's this crazy ride you're doing now? 3 mountain? You haven't got mountains down there?? :D

The kids sure loved the sport beans on our 15 mile ride Sunday....

Nanci
05-02-2006, 05:23 PM
I have to travel to Chattanooga to find them! The ride will go through Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia. I get to climb Suck Creek, Sand, and Lookout Mountains!

I'm probably going to have to bring Dillbird with, and hope to visit the Tennessee Aquarium.

BF got the weekend off at the last minute, but, of course, the event is closed.

Nanci

maillotpois
05-02-2006, 06:11 PM
Sounds great! Will Dill ride with you or hang with BF?

Nanci
05-03-2006, 03:22 AM
BF isn't going if he can't ride. He's going cave diving instead. Dill will wait in the car, in his Swiss Army (really) WWll pigeon sleeping bag. He only has one (paralyzed) leg, so at home he's just out on a bed where he can flounder at will (think kid in a playpen) but if he can't be there, he feels most secure in his pigeon holder thing. It's only going to be 70, and raining, so he won't get hot.

Surlygirl
05-03-2006, 04:49 AM
Here they have all four flavors listed and you can get a mixed which is 8 packets of orange, lime and fruit punch I think.

http://www.energyfoodwarehouse.com/jebespbepa.html

maillotpois
05-15-2006, 06:24 PM
So far I really like the red flavor best. It is like Hawaiian punch! Still a lot of sugar, which I need to adminster in small doses. Bean sized.

Nanci
05-16-2006, 10:29 AM
I just ordered the blue from eBay. So far I like green the best, but I also like the red/green combo. Kind of like the red/orange TicTac combo.