PDA

View Full Version : IMAZ 06, the good, the bad, and the downright ugly

Running Mommy
04-10-2006, 02:40 PM
Saturday night.. hop into bed by 9:30, immediately go to sleep... snoozzeee- visions of finishers medals DANCE in my head...:p
Sunday morning.. Wake up at 2:40 am. Well at least I got solid sleep what little I *did* get.. Go up at 3:30. Had a bowl of chex cereal, a banana, a pria bar, and a bottle of cyto/pro cocktail.. Had the feeling I'd be sick of the cocktail by the end of the day...
4:30 am, Got the bags in the truck and out we went. I remembered everything, the husband however did not. He forgot his phone! argh! So I begged off a cell phone from someone to call my cousin at home to have her bring it.
Walked over to the race site. Butterflies in the tummy, but pretty calm. Amazing considering how I've been lately!:D
Got body marked... "how old are you"... Uhh hmm oh "37"..I forgot my age! SO maybe I *was* nervous!
Went to the bike and pumped my tires, put my nutrition on the bike. Had some silent words with my bike about keeping me safe and not flatting. Had a bazillion people beg my pump off me. I was trying to have good bike karma and said sure, but finally had to start saying no or I would have been there forever. Threw the pump over the fence to Tony and headed over to my transition bags. Those were already there, but I had to add some things like glasses and water to my camelback. Got done w/ that then stood for 5 or so minutes making small nervous talk before I donned the human rubber band. At 6:20 they called us all to the edge of the transition area to get ready to get in the water. Said to the girl next to me " I wish I had as much confidence in myself as my family and friends do".
AT 6:30 the pros went into the water.
At 6:45 after the pros started. we were instructed to jump in and swim to the start line.
At 6:50 I jumped in as Mike Reilly said "you better get in. You have 10 minutes to swim the 200 or so yards to the start." I seeded my self pretty close to the start, but there was really no one behind me where I was at. I was on the left by the bouys too. Looked up on the mill ave bridge and spotted my husband. After waving frantically at him he FINALLY saw me! So he got video footage of me. cool!
At 7:00 BOOM!!! And off we go. Had to keep my head out of the water and swim around old men for the first few yards, but it loosend up quickly. Was swimming smooth and noticed that I was making progress. I just concentrated and went to town. Finally hit the far bridge and thought the turn around was close.. HA!! It went on forever. I kept being pulled to the left so I did alot of zig zagging to get on the right side of the bouys. OY!
HIt the turn, glanced at my watch 7:54 am. COOL! I was on target. Seemed like forever to get back, again zig zag, zig zag... ANd the current under the bridge seemed to push me back. About three quarters of the way in I got a calf cramp! ARGH! NOT FUN in water!! Had to stop. The kayaker came over and I said "I'm ok, just a calf cramp. I'm fine". Didn't want to take help and risk a DQ. Started swimming again.
Hit the steps at 1:59 and change... Not happy, but not horrible. I accomplished goal #1. Make the swim cut off.
Got help getting out of the water. Muttered to the volys that I was cramping.
They stripped me. Very cool! They are FAST!
Heard Mike Reilly say "Denise Amos from Goodyear AZ is out of the water. Have fun out there girl. Be safe" COOL! I love him!
Saw Tracy and gave her the big ol wave
Headed to the change tent.
The nice voly grabbed my bag and ushered me in. I yelled "LYNN. I need LYNN". She's my friend from TNO. She came running over and helped me. Oh she was an angel from heaven. She did everything I asked. She is the best anyway. But yesterday.. Oh she was my angel..
Gave Lynn a big hug and headed out. Told her "I'll see you in 8 hours"..
They called my number out to the bike handlers and they were holding her in the ready position when I got there. Not that there were really any bikes there. DOH! :rolleyes:
Hit the road and felt strong. Didn't feel any ill effects from having just swam 2.4 miles. COOL!
Heard "GO DENISE" as I rounded the corner. Knew as soon as I passed that it was Melisa. COOL! All this love!! I'm not worthy...
Got passed by a TON of pros heading out for their second lap.. Sigh.. I'm so slow! But I was making good time. Trying to remember to eat and drink, esp. since it was really warming up.
Was happy w/ my first loop in 2.5 hours. Thought I could maintain it, but with the stops I had to make it was not to be. Had to make a pee stop. Now I don't know if you've ever tried to negotiate a porta potty, on a hill, in bike cleats...It was a near disaster! :eek:
Kept saying to myself " I can't believe I'm riding my bike in an IRONMAN!!'
Then stopped to fill my camelback w/more water and reload my aero bottle.
Hot cytomax... YUM!!
Mile 62, coming up a hill cramp #1 hits. OH NO!! I say to myself. Must injest more salt. Start trying to dig out my thermolytes and pretzels but my bike was being blown around.. Did I mention it was getting windy?? So I stopped. Figured I needed to take action. Ended up stopping 4 times total in all the loops. SO I lost some time. Esp since my fingers decided to cease working. Hard to open the camelback clasp with gelly fingers. UGH
Had some low spots. Tummy not taking the hot cyto. Kept going.. PEDAL< PEDAL< PEDAL....
All the sudden on my last lap I see my friend Bob who passed away last year pop into my head. "C'mon AMOS. Keep going. You can do it. Your NUTS. But you can do it" in his funny Brooklynease...
Thought about my friends mom. Thought about how you guys were tracking me and wondering what was going on.
While on the bike I kept saying to myself " I LOVE this! This is the funnest race ever!". Saw my family at the turn around for each loop and they yelled for me. Saw Tracy on the last loop.
Had Michellie Jones (pronounced Mick- E-LEE) come by and say "Good job girl". Yelled "Kiss some asz Michellie" and got the thumbs up.
Also had Heather Golnick tell me to keep going. I looked strong. AMAZING! Even the pros are encouraging! It seemed like everyone that passed me had nice words. And let me tell you. On a three loop course I got passed Alot!!
Saw the aftermath of a bike accident. Two nice bikes splayed on the side of the road and people on body boards. Saw lot's of people sagging off, or melting under the trees. Truely done for the day. Did I mention it was 88-90 degrees yesterday? And by the last loop it had gotten quite windy. Like a blow dryer. Hot wind.
Knew I had a bike cutoff so watched my watch carefully. Knew I should be ok, but didn't want to chance it.
On my way back down the hill saw the sag wagon following the last rider up the hill.
5:13 pm. Hit transition. Got my bag and to the change tent.
Again, yelled for Lynn. Told her my fingers weren't working. Also told her that I was only giving myself 10 minutes to be in and out. Munched some pringles, drank some water, and was OUT!
5:23 out of T2. Looked for family.. hmmm.. were are they??
Tried to run but it immediately became apparent that my stomach would not let me. It had gone south. Started immediately on broth w/a water chaser and cola. Also grabbed cold sponges and stuck them in my bra. Put ice in my cap. It was HOT!!! Did the best I could trying to run, but did the math on whether I could make the cut off w/ 15 minute miles. I'm a slow runner, but an even slower walker. Was CONVINCED that I was not going to make the cut off. But kept plugging. Trying to find that magic formula. By the end of loop 1 the stomach was cooperating- kinda. Tried to run more and took a bit of time off my first loop. Then the calf cramps hit. It became "run as far as you can. Stop and walk, then run again".. At each aid station it was "broth, cola, water, ice". Traded out sponges a few times. And the mantra "walk w/ purpose"..
Did I mention that this course had a TON of hills?? It was a tough course.
Everytime I saw my family I told them I didn't know if I'd make it. I seriously doubted I would.
Did some more "fuzzy math" and realized if I made the 18 mile run cut off by 10:00 I could prolly make it. Made it w/ 10 minutes to spare. By now I was reduced to "run to the next light pole then walk, run to the next, walk, repeat. Actually had some company on my last loop.. Saw a guy at mile 20 that was struggling. Right after I gave him some encouraging words I heard him puking. HARD.
Hit mile 20 and looked at the guy next to me " I didn't come 20 miles into this thing not to finish".. Started really trying to run. Cramping bad. Tried to focus on fast walking. Really went inside myself and focused on the task at hand. Didn't worry about aches and pains. Even the blister I felt pop in my shoe.:eek: I felt nothing.
Kept thinking of the thing on the 2004 Kona coverage where the announcer says "She knows what a mother needs to do to get there".
Could hear Mike Reilly from all over the course. Concentrated on what it would feel like to hear him call my name. Focused. focused, focused.
Hit mile 25 with nearly 30 minutes to go. Tried to run. UGH. Legs not cooperating. All the sudden my husband pops out of nowhere. He starts running with me. Tell him I can get DQ'ed for outside assistance so he falls in back behind me and follows from a distance. Then he says " I'll meet you on top of the bridge". He's there w/ the video camera. Whadda guy!
We start run/walking the last little bit. But I'm dying. Run down the hill towards the chute.Realize my glow stick is around my neck. Rip it off quickly. See the guy call my number up to Mike Reilly. I look at the gate guy and I say " I F-ing MADE IT" He laughs and says "Yeah, with nine minutes to spare".
I turn for the chute and go NUTS!! The crowd is cheering like I'm a rock star and I just lose it! I'm waving my arms wildly and I'm in utter shock that I'm about to break the tape! I reach over and grab Mike Reillys hand. He says my name but not "You are an Ironman"... Had I been THINKING I would have stood there and coaxed it out of him". :D
Crossed the line and was "caught" by a sweet lady. She put a heat sheet on and my medal. Then got me water. Asked if I was ok. Said I looked better than alot of the earlier finishers.
Tony was right there takig pictures. Had my "official" picture taken. It's really bad! ha ha
Talked for a few minutes. Tracy and the kids were there. Saw some friends from TNO. But I started fading fast. Talked to Nanci on the phone! 3:00 am her time and she was soo chipper!!
Started feeling pukey on the way home.
Got in the house and headed for the potty. My body was trying to trow up but there was nothing in there. Took a compazine. Ate some crackers and water and went to bed. Feeling so proud of my self for having the fortitude to pull this out.
This morning Tony delivered me advil in bed.
Other than a rash of blisters on my feet I'm fine. A bit sore, but not all that bad.
Went down to pick up my photos from the race site and stopped by the post race banquet. They were getting ready for Kona roll down. Had two people tell me that I was on the video they showed of late night finishers. This woman gave me a hug and said "you were so cute. Everyone was cheering for you". DANG!! And I missed it!! So now I need to try to get a copy!!
Anyway, thanks for all your support my iron readers!! You guys are the best! My cousin was so impressed w/ the nice folks like Tracy and Nanci who she met through me. She may even come out of the shadows and register... :D
And my closing thoughts.... If you have a dream, don't discount yourself. At least give it a try. Do the work it takes to achieve the dream. If it doesn't happen, well at least you tried. But if you really want it. And I mean REALLY want it... I bet you'll get there!
As the Ironman logo says "anything is possible"....
Rock on!
Denise :)

Jones
04-10-2006, 04:32 PM
What a great race report! I am sitting at my key board welling up, you should be very pleased, you did a great job and are an inspiration to anyone (me) with Ironman dreams. Thank you.

Jones

Nanci
04-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Denise,

I love you! You are incredible-you are my HERO!!

Nanci

tprevost
04-10-2006, 05:44 PM
dang it Denise, now I'm crying AGAIN! Great Report! AND, YOU are my hero too! :D

Tracy

Blueberry
04-10-2006, 07:43 PM
sniffle sniffle...

What an experience!!! You truely deserve the title of IRONMAN!!! You earned every bit of it!!!!!

You're an inspiration to all of us who dare to dream big dreams:o :o

Carrie Anne

Trek420
04-10-2006, 08:21 PM
You have to edit your "Ironman wanna be" to "I am an Iron Man"...or Iron Woman...or how ever you want to phrase it :) :rolleyes:

There, checks back later on and ... she did it!

slinkedog
04-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Gosh Denise... you're amazing! I'm very proud of you and I don't really know you at all. Your desire and gut-wrenching effort are an inspiration to everyone. Thank you for sharing your story and your journey with us. Take care of yourself and your precious family.
Shannon

maillotpois
04-11-2006, 06:42 AM
Awesome report!! I am so impressed. And I'm really glad you changed your name thing-y - wanna be NO MORE!!!

So - are you EVER going to do another one.....? ;)

Running Mommy
04-11-2006, 08:11 AM
Yep! Once I forget about the pain... and the training... and the blisters... and the hands that won't function... :p
It's kinda like childbirth I guess!! :o

Lise
04-11-2006, 08:41 AM
Denise, thank you so much for the report. My heart is full. You did what you had to do. Those last 8 minutes, wondering if you'd made it, and then Nanci posted DENISE AMOS, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN! I felt as if I'd heard Mike Reilly say it.

How wonderful that the pros were so encouraging. I read that 4 out of 5 participants were men, so that means about 400 women, right? To have Michellie Jones cheer you on, and to be able to return the favor...:D how cool is that?

I'm going back and read it again. Thank you. You give me courage.

CR400
04-11-2006, 08:46 AM
Wow, that is awsome. You have joined an elite group not only people who have completed an Ironman, but have accomplished a dream that you put your heart and soul into. Even through all the pain you are victorious. I't doesn't matter where you finished just that you did. Rest up and recover I bet you have another dream you want to accomplish.

Barb
04-11-2006, 09:40 AM
I am truly so impressed. I have to say, I was welling up as I read your story. LOL I thought, i am such a wus...then I saw that others had the same reaction!!!!!!!!!

I am sore today, a little tired and lazy. I will go out and do my ride. I will put down the brownies and pay attention to my body. I will do my first century this season.

Thank you Iron mommy!

ladyfish
04-11-2006, 11:03 AM
Way to go Denise!!! I too was welling up. Especially when you mentioned your friend Bob who was there for you. Wow! And to have the Pros cheering you on, too. GREAT JOB!!!

You are an inspiration to us all. Maybe we'll get to meet one day when I fly home to visit family!!!

mtkitchn
04-11-2006, 03:13 PM
Thanks SO much for sharing your story of the race! I'm amazed and impressed and touched by what you did! Congratulations!
Sue

Trekhawk
04-11-2006, 04:10 PM
Wow what an inspiring race report. When things were hard the iron in you really showed. Fantastic.:)

Running Mommy
04-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Thanks all... Just realized I had a MAJOR type! I told Michellie to KICK asz, not KISS! OY VEY! That's what happens when you write a RR before you've restored your glycogen stores! :D
I watched my athlete dvd today and thought to myself " I still can't believe I jumped in that water"...
Oh, and when my friend Kevin edit's my video I'll be sure to send anyone who wants one a copy. You girls are the best!!

Lise
04-11-2006, 07:38 PM
That's so funny! I've read the report several times, and I always read it as "Kick", not "kiss". :p I am so glad you wrote it as soon as you did, because details slip away quickly. Eagerly looking forward to ordering my copy of the video!

How are you feeling today? L.

tprevost
04-11-2006, 07:38 PM
I want one, I want one!!!!! Me! Me! Me! :p (copy of the video, that is!)

T~

Nanci
04-12-2006, 03:22 AM
Denise IM, you can go back and edit it...I read it as "kick" too, though. THat was a scary looking swim start! Swim out to it???

Nanci

Running Mommy
04-12-2006, 05:47 AM
I tried.. I have no edit button on that thread?? Oh well...:o

DirtDiva
04-12-2006, 06:03 AM
Lol. I never noticed that it actualy read "kiss" either. Unfortunately, the "edit" button expires after a while - really bugs me when I spot a mistake and can't do anything about it.

You're awesome, RM.

KSH
04-12-2006, 06:09 AM
GREAT RACE REPORT!

Gosh, it sounds like you really FOUGHT your way through the race!

Will you do another one...???

Well, just think... for the next one... you can focus on how to complete the race without cramps and stomach issues. You have a goal to finish with less pain! :D :p ;)

Overall you did a great job! Thank goodness you finished in time!

I have to say too, I find it interesting that volunteers can help you take off your wetsuit. Why isn't that considered assistance I wonder? Also, why was your friend Lynn allowed to you area? Was she able to help you?

Bike Goddess
04-12-2006, 09:48 AM
Great report! Cheers to you for awesome job! No wonder it's called the"Iron..." You had the guts and determination to do this regardless of the pain. Admirable to say the least!

Try taking some salt packets with you on your bike next time. They work miracle with cramps (the kind you get at the fast food places). I always carry them in the warm weather just in case!

Now, of course, we want to hear of your plans for the next one!:p :p :p :p

Nanci
04-12-2006, 10:50 AM
I'm sure she had electrolytes on the bike, just couldn't get to them without stopping because of the wind. I know that feeling- but I'm not on such a strict time schedule, so I can stop if I have to.

So I was going to suggest- I put my caps in a little container, and more often in my pink Trashy Cat zipper coin purse, in my Bento box, so I can get them out without getting out of aero position. Still, if the wind is really blowing, it's tough.

But the alternative, having your stomach go on strike, is worse, especially when you don't have time to baby it back into cooperating.

I looped the chain thingy on the coin purse under the velcro of the Bento Box which attaches to the stem- so it can never fly out of there. I have two TC coin purses- one for Succeed Caps and one for Sport Beans.

Nanci

Running Mommy
04-12-2006, 11:14 AM
yeah what Nanci said. I was taking in salt like a mad dog, but it wasn't enough. And my thermolytes were sticking to my cliff blocks. SO trying to deal w/ that in a crosswind... yeah it was fun.

mtbdarby
04-12-2006, 01:16 PM
Denise, great report - I felt like I was there with you!

I haven't followed all of your training but have gotten caught up in the last few weeks. Do you have it all in one area/website so I can take a peek? How long did it take you to start doing tris to this ironman?

I had tears running down my face for you at work reading this - you are amazing! As a mom, athlete, woman - what an inspiration!

Lise
04-12-2006, 02:53 PM
yeah what Nanci said. I was taking in salt like a mad dog, but it wasn't enough. And my thermolytes were sticking to my cliff blocks. SO trying to deal w/ that in a crosswind... yeah it was fun.
OK, how many people in the world, really, would understand what "my thermolytes were sticking to my cliff blocks" meant?! :p I immediately pictured it, and thought, "how aggravating". 5 years ago, heck, 2 years ago, I wouldn't have had a clue what that meant!

I'm still wearing my "Be Iron" bracelet, and telling everyone who will listen about your odessy.

How's the recovery going, Denise? L.

Nanci
04-12-2006, 03:34 PM
I was thinking, maybe she should embed the appropriate number of Endurolytes (or way less Succeed caps) into her Clif Bloks and kill two birds with one stone!

I noticed when I unloaded my bike after the last brevet that my Bento Box was filled with busted open electrolyte caps that I must have been too tired to get into the Trashy Cat electrolyte purse and never noticed. So I turned the whole bike upside down and shook it to get rid of them. BF had a guy coming over from the sheriff's office to wash the squad in our yard or something, I was worried it would look like I was pouring some kind of drugs out in the yard...

Nanci

Running Mommy
04-12-2006, 03:38 PM
This is the report I posted on TNO (tri newbies online). The folks referenced are all on that board. Of course it's alot of the same, but maybe has a few more details. Certainly seems longer...

The chubby girl takes on Ironman….

A long report for a LOONNNGGG Day

In a post before the race I put that my three goals were
1 Make the swim cut off
2. Make the bike cutoff
3. Midnight

Well the mission was accomplished, but I had hoped for a better outcome- Especially on the run. But as anyone who has ever done an IM knows, you take what the day gives you.

WARNING: Make a sandwich, this puppy is LONG!

Ok, let’s back track a bit to race week. It was BUSY. I was glad I was busy because it took my mind off of things, but I felt like I was constantly going back and forth to Tempe. I live about 45 minutes away.
Thursday started with picking up Emily (Em in MD) for the swim. I’m a dork and thought she was staying on the other side of Tempe. We made it though for a quick swim, then registration. MAN that took forever! We walked around the expo for a bit, and then headed back. It seemed like no sooner did I get home that it was time for the TNO dinner.
We had a great dinner. It was so great seeing everyone. But there were a few who were missed.
Friday:
Friday morning I headed to the swim solo. I had a rough swim and really started to doubt my ability. Sure I had done the distance in the pool many times, but never in open water. And for some reason when I put my head down in the water to swim I would lose my breath. It was scary. I used to surf in nor cal back in the day, so it’s not like I’m afraid of open water. At least I haven’t had a problem until now. My friend Nanci is an ice diver, so she explained to me that it was my body’s reaction to the cold water. Funny it never happened surfing, but then again I always wore a speed cap.
Once I got going I was ok, but that morning I was really having doubts that I could hang on for the long haul.
I saw John, Natascha, and Joe again so that was nice. They did a good job of calming my nerves.
Friday afternoon was very emotional. I kept getting letters, packages, and good luck charms from people. And it got worse when we got to the athlete dinner. I kinda lost it during the program. I never thought I would get so emotional. Go figure??

Saturday:
I had to go down to the race site early Saturday morning for the kids fun run, as I was an “adopted” athlete in the adopt an IM program. I watched my kids run, including my son. That was really cool. It was his first race. He was stoked. I then went down to swim one more time. I just needed to erase my demons. The kids came down to watch me, and low and behold. It worked. I actually had two head on collisions, but didn’t let it get to me. I swear I was sighting and have no idea where those guys came from??!! I was just glad to know that on Sunday we would all be going in the SAME direction! lol
Went home after the swim and chilled. Had a light dinner and was in bed by 9:30

Race morning:
I woke up at 2:40, but didn’t get up until 3:30. Had a bowl of chex cereal, a banana, a bottle of carbo/cyto cocktail and a pria bar. Grabbed the bottles out of the freezer and my bags and was out the door by 4:30..
Got to the race site and immediately got body marked, then headed over to drop off special needs. Saw John on the way out, gave him a quick “have a good race”. Bumped into Joe right after that, but we were all in race prep mode so we kept it short. I grabbed my bike nutrition and pump from Tony and headed over to my bike. I had people accosting me for my pump left and right. I was trying to have good race karma and say “sure” but after awhile I had to cut it off.
I said a quick few words to my bike “please no mechanicals today. And NO FLATS”… Yeah, I’m a freak. I talk to my bike!! ha ha
Dropped my glasses off in my bike and run bags and filled my camelback w/ water. A few minutes later it was time to don the human rubber band.
Gave Tony a kiss goodbye, Got a “good luck, and be careful out there” from him. He had an obviously worried look on his face. But he said “you’ll do better than you think”. He then headed up on the bridge.
While waiting to get in John, Emily, Natascha, and I met up again. We had a quick group TNO hug. I looked at the woman next to me and said “wish I had as much confidence in myself as my friends and family do”… And with that I took the plunge.
I swam over to the start. Ended up pretty close and to the left. I’m a slow swimmer so I made sure there was really no one behind me. I was surprised I could get so close. Looked up on the bridge and spotted Tony. After waving frantically he finally saw me and broke out the video camera. He got cool footage of me starting. The start was really uneventful. Had to deal w/ some old guys for a few minutes flailing around, but got smooth water pretty quick. I kept drifting left though, so I felt like I zig zagged the whole swim. I actually felt pretty good in the water. I’m a slow swimmer, so I just plugged along. I did get a calf cramp about ¾ of the way to the bridge on the way back. Stopped for a minute, and had a kayaker approach. I quickly said “just a calf cramp. I’m ok” and got swimming again. Hit the steps at 1:59 and some change… HORRIBLE- But my reality…
Goal #1 accomplished.
As soon as I got out I had strippers helping me. They were barking at me to get on my butt, but I was afraid I was going to cramp so I muttered “I’m cramping” but they basically pushed me down and ripped the suit off. Cool!
Was escorted into the change tent and yelled “LYNN- I need LYNN”. Luckily it was winding down so she was able to come help me. God bless her soul! She was my angel! She had me in and out of there pretty quickly considering how hard it is to put a jog bra on when wet!! And god love her, but she saw WAY more of me than she needed to! OY!
My bike was waiting when I came out. Thanked the guy and headed out. By now my entire family and some friends were there, so they were screaming their heads off. Out I went. It felt so good to be on the bike.
The first leg of the bike I cruised. I felt great, wanted to push more, but knew I had a long day ahead of me, and that it would heat up. Really concentrated on drinking and eating. I started taking thermolytes pretty early. I was being passed by people left and right heading out on their second loop, but I just enjoyed it all. I kept saying to myself “ I can’t believe I’m riding in a f-ing IRONMAN”. I think I was grinning from ear to ear the entire first loop. Made the turn around and ZOOOMMMEDD back down. First loop was 2.5 hours. On target for a 7.5 hour ride, which was in line w/ my training.
Loop two, heat picking up, starting to see people on the side of the road spent. Wind is also picking up. Make a potty stop at the turnaround. Have you ever tried to negotiate a porta potty, on a hill, in bike cleats? It was a near disaster.
Saw Emily and John. Of course John flew by me. Clearly he was having a good day. I just kept plugging away, feeling pretty good. But the wind was picking up, and apparently I was gripping my bars a bit too tight… Of course I didn’t notice at the time. No I noticed when I stopped to refill my camelback w/water and had jelly fingers. UGH!
On the way back about 70 miles in I got a wicked quad cramp. I was able to ride through it, but I knew I needed more salt and NOW. I dug into the bento box for more thermolytes and pretzels. I was having issues, so I made a stop. I figured I needed to take action NOW before it was too late. Hit the end of loop two and saw my family. They were telling me to pick it up. I knew I’d be chasing the cut off on the third loop, so I really tried. By now it was not only hot, but the wind seemed to get you from every direction. Now let me say quickly that I’ve seen it MUCH worse on the beeline. And those who raced last year would have scoffed at the notion it was windy. But the wind/ heat combo made it feel like you were in a blow dryer. For awhile it clouded over, but not for long. I only made one stop on my last loop, but my fingers were toast so the voly had to help me open my camelback and fill it.
As I was hitting the bottom of the hill I saw the sweep van heading up with a lone rider. I felt really sorry for that rider.
The last loop for me was keeping the leg cramps at bay and trying to make sure I was getting enough nutrition/liquid in me for the run.
I passed a girl on the side of the road. Slowed and asked her if she was ok. She looked bewildered and said “ I have a flat”. So I said “Do you have what you need? Need a tube?” and she said “ I don’t know how to change a tire”. Ummmm ok??!! WTF? You are in an IM and you’ve never changed a tire?? I told her I would alert a bike tech if I saw one. I’m sorry, I’m all for helping someone out in need, and I will always stop. But that is just stupid! A few minutes later I saw a van heading that way.
Saw my family on the way in from the last loop. Hit the transition w/ a mere 17 minutes to spare…
Once again chasing cut offs, but made goal #2.
Collected my bag and hit the change tent. Lynn was right there for me. Again… My angel! Explained to her that my fingers weren’t working. She said “ohhh gripping those bars too tight”… yeah, I suppose I was. I told her I was only giving myself 10 minutes in transition. She helped me get ready for the run. I munched on a container of Pringles and some ice water. At 5:23 I was out the door headed for my run.
Started running and ohhhh, what is this?? I feel like I’m going to puke! Hit aid 1 and grabbed coke, broth, water, and sponges. Shoved the sponges in my bra and hat to try to cool down. Kept doing this, did take in a bit of Gatorade, but mostly broth and coke. Did some math and really doubted I could pull of a 6.5 hour mary by walking. I’m a slow marathoner, but an even slower walker. And I HATE walking!
Tried to run as much as I could. Really it was a fast shuffle. But at least I felt like I was trying. I was not happy. This was NOT how I had trained. But like I said…. You take what the day gives you.
Saw my family and told them I didn’t think I could make the cut off.
By the second loop I was feeling better, so trying to pick it up. That’s when the leg cramps started. I did push as much as I could. Stayed on course w/ broth and cola. Saw Joe and Emily at different spots, told them I was only on my second loop and didn’t think I could do it. They both encouraged me to keep moving. By now my mantra was “ If you must walk. Walk with purpose”. At this point I just really started focusing on moving as fast as I could. I kept a constant eye on my watch. I knew I had to make the 18 mile mark by 10:00 pm or I’d get pulled. I made it by 9:50. I just kept moving forward. I was surprised to see I wasn’t the only one on the last loop. I hit the 20 mile mark and said to myself “I haven’t come this far not to make it. Now MOVE it”…. Saw a guy struggling up the hill. Gave him some encouraging words. As soon as I left him I heard him puking. Poor guy. By the end of the second loop I had started running from landmark to landmark, light pole to light pole. It was working so I kept at it, trotting along. The line from the 04 Kona coverage about the mom running for her kids “ a mom does what she has to do to get there” kept popping up in my head.
I apologized to everyone at the aid stations for keeping them out so late. They were great though. I really have to give it to the Volys. They were all so kind. Every single one of them!
Still not convinced I’d make it I FINALLY hit the 25 mile mark. I tried to run, but my legs would cramp after a few feet. I really wanted to run that last mile. UGH! All the sudden out of nowhere Tony appears. He starts to run with me and I tell him No. I don’t want to be DQ’d. He says “ok I’ll fall in behind you and pretend I don’t know you”.. Whatever, at this point I just keep motoring as fast as I can. He then takes off and says he’ll meet me on the bridge. He meets me and encourages me to keep going. I have less than 15 minutes. But I KNOW I can make it at this point. I’m really trying to run through the cramps, but it’s just not happening. I come down the hill, hit the turn and look at the gate guy and say “ I can’t believe I f-ing MADE it!!” he says “yeah, w/ 9 minutes to spare”…
So I start jumping up and down dancing down the chute. The crowd is going nuts and I’m beside myself. I see Mike Reilly and grab his hand. He says “Denise Amos a mom from Goodyear AZ” but no “YOU ARE AN IRONMAN”. If I had been thinking I would have stood there and coaxed it out of him!! lol
Hit the tape in 16:52:52. Never so proud of such a crappy time in my life!!!
I’m usually embarrassed by my slow marathons, but this was different. I felt like I really did try. And yeah, I did the training. I worked my butt off. I should have been able to run at least the first 10 miles straight through. I did it in training a couple of times, but that is what the day gave me.
After I crossed about 6 people came in behind me. I was so focused out there that I didn’t even know I had anyone behind me. I really did think I was the last person on the course.

I met my family and friends, took some pictures. Stretched, and then saw Emily and Robin. Chatted for a moment, but then started to fade. On the way home I started feeling the need to puke. Got home, puked. Not much coming up. Took a compazine, ate some crackers and drank some water and off to bed. The next day I was sore, it was a hard effort. But the blisters on my left foot are the worst part. I seem to remember that foot getting wet when I put water on my head. I’ve never blistered like this in all my marys, so I’m guessing it was from getting wet.
All in all it was a good day. Tough, but fun. I really can’t remember anytime when I was in scathing pain. And I only had a couple of times when I contemplated quitting. But really, that was not an option.
I’m looking forward to a few months of light training and getting back to some “minis”. Not sure if IMAZ 07 is in the cards, but I have the feeling it might be. In the meantime I’m going to work on my swim and bike. The run will always be slow. And of course the constant battle with my weight… UGH!

Oh- heard that I was on the video they played the next morning at the post race breakfast. But of course I missed it! Some lady came up to me and gave me a hug. She said people were cheering when I was on the screen. I’m SURE I looked like a total dork! Flab flying everywhere! OY!! Maybe it’s good that I missed it!! hee hee
Ok, that’s it…. I think that’s enough! If you made it through you are an “Iron” reader. Thanks for indulging me! I know it was long but I wanted to have every last detail on the record!
Rock on!
Denise

::

Nanci
04-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Good Lord, no sh*t (can you say those two expletives in the same sentence?) it's long! Six pages printed out so I can read it at my leisure while enjoying a glass of Malbec out on the patio with Dillbird.

Nanci

Running Mommy
04-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Ha!! I told you!!! :D

Nanci
04-12-2006, 03:58 PM
Great. Thanks for making me cry AGAIN for like the fourth time since you did the dang race...

Nanci

Lise
04-12-2006, 04:21 PM
Me, I'm saving it for the treat to read after I take my nap before I go in for my 12 hour night shift!
later that same evening...

Denise, I am just in awe. You know, I have had the priviledge of being with thousands of women in labor, and have helped over 600 women give birth. I have a profound faith in womens' ability to do what needs to be done. You've just shown it to me in a different way. I salute you.

Lise

DirtDiva
04-13-2006, 02:48 AM
I didn't make a sandwich, but I did get through quite a bit of my coffee. ;)

The line from the 04 Kona coverage about the mom running for her kids “ a mom does what she has to do to get there” kept popping up in my head.
Was that the NZer raising money for Cystic Fibrosis? She was pretty inspirational. :)

Running Mommy
04-13-2006, 06:02 AM
Yep sure was. Tracy Richardson correct? Do you know how her kids are? I always wonder what happened w/ them. They are such cute bumpkins!

DirtDiva
04-13-2006, 11:35 AM
I have no idea. For any of you wondering who we're talking about, you can read a brief bio here (http://www.speakers.co.nz/traceyrichardson.html).

Running Mommy
04-13-2009, 06:09 PM
I pulled this up to read it to a friend of mine, and I got teary eyed from the memories.
There have been a lot of new tri ladies on here lately, and I thought you might like to read this.
You may not be having Iron dreams now, but I didn't in the beginning either.
You never know!

salsabike
04-13-2009, 07:41 PM
Denise, I think I had just gotten started on TE when you did this. I never saw the video till you reposted it the other day. It's STILL fabulous. I sent it to my tri coach. I'm still totally and completely impressed. Thanks for reposting this stuff.

kacie tri-ing
04-15-2009, 11:09 AM
That was a great read! I was having a really bad day, and that really lifted me up! Thanks for bringing it back!:)

tribogota
05-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Thanks for getting it up again, I just had tears streaming down my face, even though I could see the date was a couple of years ago. Great job, great perserverance, it should be an inspiration to many!

Running Mommy
05-03-2009, 09:12 PM
I'm working on getting back to IMAZ, hoping for a community fund slot this November. We shall see. Seems like I just did it, tho my lack of fitness puts me back into reality.
UGH