PDA

View Full Version : Denise Amos YOU are an Ironman!!

Running Mommy
04-10-2006, 04:03 AM
And you guys made the bestest ironcrew around.
It was a LOOONNNGGG hot and windy day out there. So my bike split was 30 minutes off. Cramping from 62 miles on. Kept having to stop and injest salt. Couldn't do it on the fly cause tri bike was flying all over in the wind. Then on the run I couldn't *run* because my stomach had gone south. Spent the entire first 8.75 mile loop trying to get stomach under control. Got it by the second but then started cramping midway through that leg. Cramped the entire third loop, but had a run/walk strategy and just kept at it. But honestly I had been chasing cut offs all day, and I thought there was NO way I was going to finish the run. Thought about quitting a million times, but I just kept telling myself to "be Iron" and "walk with purpose". And let me tell you- I am NO power walker! lol
Anyway. This is taking me forever to type cause my fingers are not really working. Nerve damage from holding on so tight to the bike.... ugh.. I hope this goes away soon.... Anyone know??
Ok, I'll type a longer report later. With all the juicy details. And thanks again for all your support. I really did feel the TE spirit out there!
Denise :)

Lise
04-10-2006, 04:10 AM
Dear Denise,

I can't believe you typed anything at all! Take your time, recover, you know we'll wait. You made it, you did it, and we are so proud of you. :D L.

KSH
04-10-2006, 04:30 AM
WOAH! What are you doing typing at ALL? You should have your hubby doing it for you... ;)

Wow, from the sounds of it... you had to fight some physical and mental demons out there! I bet it made the trip and accomplishment that much more meaningful though. :) It also gives you some *goals* to set for the next Ironman! :D

After I saw your time on your first 8 miles, I wondered how you were hanging, as it was a bit slower than you expected. But you still seemed on pace.

Otherwise, all of your other times were right on and your pace was right where you expected it to be.

Anyways... I will STOP analyzing and say... WAY TO GO! What an amazing journey you went on, and we were so lucky to have joined you along the way! You are amazing!!!!!!!

jobob
04-10-2006, 05:10 AM
How wonderful, Denise - congratulations!

Blueberry
04-10-2006, 05:12 AM
Way to go!!!!!!! What an accomplishment!!!!!

You are a true athlete!

As for the finger...I remember Cat Berge posting about some residual numbless after RAAM. However, I think when you posted, you had only been out a few hours - I come home from rides on occasion with sore/numb fingers and they usually sort themselves out within 24 hours....

REST!!!!! You deserve it!!!

DrBee
04-10-2006, 05:56 AM
Wow Denise! You did it! And are here typing in the AM. What an accomplishment!

bluedress
04-10-2006, 06:10 AM
YES! YES! YES! I am SO PROUD OF YOU!

Smiling so big now. :D
~Marca

Grog
04-10-2006, 06:36 AM
WONDERFUL Denise!

I am in awe.

Rest now!

snapdragen
04-10-2006, 06:52 AM
I too am awestruck! Way to go Denise!

bikerz
04-10-2006, 07:09 AM
What a phenomenal achievement!!! You are amazing!

Rest and celebrate (then tell us all about it!)

Blueberry
04-10-2006, 07:21 AM
You need to change your tag line from "Iron wanna be" to "Ironman" - you earned it!!!!!

JoyfullySo
04-10-2006, 08:30 AM
Hey Denise,

Just wanted to let you know that my DH called to let me know he was coming home for lunch and the first question out of his mouth was," Did anyone on TE hear from Denise?"

So, there you go.. not only has your amazing feat inspiried clear across the country- it has inspired across gender lines.

Great job from your fans in Georgia!!!

bikerchick68
04-10-2006, 09:41 AM
I am just completely awestruck! Wow, way to go... way to perservere!!!! YOU ROCK! I can't even fathom the amount of training and effort it took to accomplish this amazing feat... huge congrats to you...:D

Brandi
04-10-2006, 11:05 AM
I have tears welling up in my eye's right now. and to think i have your old bike seat! I feel so lucky!:D

CorsairMac
04-10-2006, 12:55 PM
I'm have tears welling up Denise!! You are Such an inspiration! No matter the struggles (carp I can't spell that word today) you just hung in there and you finished!! You Are an Ironman!

Well Done!!

Selkie
04-10-2006, 01:23 PM
There was never a doubt that you would finish. What an accomplishment. I think this warrants a new cycling outfit :-) You are our HEROINE

tprevost
04-10-2006, 05:36 PM
She's da bomb!!!!

T~

LittleBlackDuck
04-10-2006, 09:59 PM
I have the priviledge of living in an Ironman town, and being a volunteer at drinks stations I have witnessed the extraordinary courage and passion that people like you have, as they relentlessly continue on their amazing journey to the finish line.

I am in absolute AWE of you Denise. Really!! I cannot begin to imagine what it must feel like to participate in an Ironman, but I have certainly seen and felt the elation of hundreds of athletes as they finally run (walk...hobble...) down that finishing chute HOURS after they started. It is one highly emotional experience for a spectator, let alone a participant. You must have felt like you were about to burst! A dream come true for you....WOW!!

You are http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/sampleusername/23_5_1041.gif . I take my hat off to you :).