PDA

View Full Version : Chasing Away the mental demons...

Running Mommy
04-08-2006, 03:32 PM
Ok, Who knew that preparing for an Ironman could be such an emotional experience?? Who knew??!!
But DANG! I was ready to drive myself to the county mental hospital yesterday! I was a down right wreck!
And after my last post of the day here it only got worse!!!
We went down to the athlete dinner, and then met Tracy (tprevost) and the kids after the athlete meeting.
They had an entire program at dinner that was emotional to say the least. I had already burst into tears at least 6 times that day, but had a couple more outbursts there.
First of all the tribal leader for the indian reservation we will be traversing over said a prayer, and he and his sons sang a song to protect us. I LOST it! It reminded me of growing up. My best friend down the streets mom was Pomo indian. And she was the real deal. Very high up in the tribe, wore the "white dress" and everything. She was like a second mom to me, but she was brutally murdered in a grocery parking lot by her ex husbnad (ex of 25 years no less) when I was 18. It devastated me back then. So hearing that prayer and song was like her looking down on me saying "You'll be ok Neisy poo, I'll watch over you"... (her nickname for me that only SHE can call me)

And then they showed a video to motivate you. At the end it said "You WILL FINISH"... Ok, there I go again... There were a couple of funny videos. Like a do and don't video that had tears coming down my face from laughter.
They had all us first timers stand up. There are alot! 40% of the field of 2200. And then they had the people who had completed the most IM's stand up. The winner was a guy who had done 46!! He had bushy hair and a mustache. Totally looked like a guy you would see in a bar- not an Ironman! Just goes to show you!!
After the dinner we met up with Tracy and her kids. Balls of energy those kids are! I think they could run the marathon easy for me!:p
But it was getting late and I still needed to get my bike and transition bags together. Plus we had to be out the door by 6:15 am for the kids run.
I was up til 10:30 getting my bags together, and finally collapsed in bed.
This morning we took the kids down to do the fun run, and then do bike and gear check in. Saw Tracy again. But I felt bad because I was distracted. I wanted to get in the water one last time to erase the demons. Glad I did. I swam much more comfortably. I'm still slow, but I think I'll be ok.
Did have two minor- coulda been major mishaps. It's a free for all out there so you have to watch for "oncoming traffic" when your swimming. I thought i had the all clear, but I had a "head on" - LITERALLY- with a guy. It didn't really hurt, and I handled it well. He was like "OMG are you ok" and I said "Oh yeah- you?" And he said "fine" and apologized. I was like "no worries, as long as we are both ok". And off I swam. Didn't freak out, so felt good about that . Also had another entaglement with a guy. I have no idea where he came fom either- cause I WAS sighting?/!!
Heck at least tomorrow we will all be going in the same direction, and have bouys to seperate us on the way back!!
Oh- speaking of bouys.. They said that they will be 100 mtrs apart. So I figure there should be 40- maybe a few more out there. I plan on counting bouys as I swim. I may lose count, but that's ok, It will keep my mind occupied.
Oh one last thing... Went back to the old goggles, and with a little spit they were FINE! THANK GOD IN HEAVEN!!
Ok girls, that's it for today. Please say those prayers tomorrow morning around 7- and keep em coming til ya see that I'm outta the water!:D
You are the bestest!!!
Ciao!
Denise
more pics from today..
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a157/tony66denise69/?sc=1

Lise
04-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Oh, my friend, I get it.

What an incredible blessing from your dear second mom.

You are fine, you are well, you are strong, you are trained, you are brave, you do not quit, you will finish, you know we are pulling for you, every stroke, pedal, and step of the way.

(((((IronMommy)))))

Lise

Nanci
04-08-2006, 05:30 PM
If you're awake to read this, you're in TROUBLE!!! I am sending you all my strength and will. I can't wait until tomorrow!!

Nanci

Jones
04-08-2006, 05:45 PM
Sounds like a great swim strategy, you will do great! You will be IRON!
Jones:)