PDA

View Full Version : Buyer Beware: cheap pedal switch

Quillfred
04-08-2006, 01:22 PM
Ok, I'll take two deep breaths.

Just went to adjust my new Shimano "520" pedals installed yesterday by my (previously) trusted LBS.

I noted the pedals looked gummy. When I tried to adjust the tension, they felt sloppy and different from my other 520s.

I zoomed in to read the model as 505! Now, the shop doesn't even list these pedals for sale. I know that they sometimes come stock on certain bikes. I called the manager, who was not really apologetic and said I could get my right pedals for the same price (I paid $52). When I asked if he would be in the shop (as my trust level in LBS is sinking) he said he could well be on a lunch break and would not give me definite times he would be available.

Since (at a more trusted LBS) gave my the empty Simano 520 box, I find it hard to believe this was accidental!?!*#%

ridebikeme
04-08-2006, 01:32 PM
I can certainly understand your frustration... hopefully it was only in error! If the manager couldn't give you a definite time, perhaps you could ask if he could put a pair of the correct pedals out for you and label them with your name and an explanantion of the story.... hope this finds you as a happy customer!

Nanci
04-08-2006, 02:56 PM
That's like when I ordered the $200+ Sidi's for BF for X-mas and they were worn and the serial number was removed from the box. I was really angry.

Could be the pedals were a mistake, though. They probably get upgraded all the time, and someone just threw them in an empty box, maybe. Hard to believe the guy would try to cheat you. But not impossible.

Nanci

Quillfred
04-09-2006, 04:29 PM
I brought my bike back up to the store yesterday. Manager was there and slightly apologetic. When it wasn't offered, I asked for a discount for my time and trouble and was told "uh, we can't do that". Maybe once the store got a few local branches, it stopped being an LBS.

I learned my lesson to check everything. It reinforces my desire to learn everything I can about maintenance.

At least my wheel didn't fall off :D

Geonz
04-14-2006, 10:22 AM
"can't do that" -- to me, that makes it no longer a local bike shop. It's Big Retail.

I would write a letter to the BMFIC (big person in charge) of said chain... prob'ly can figure it out online and if in doubt send the letter to several people - and of course send it also to the original place/person... to register your complaint. You might get some compensation for being ripped off then; I'd tell 'em I rode a lot and mention that if *they* ride at all they know how much cyclists talk about their gear, and you would *like* to be able tosay positive things, but now you can't say that either on rides or in those emails real bike riders are always sending each other...

DirtDiva
04-14-2006, 02:58 PM
...write a letter to the BMFIC (big person in charge)...
Nice paraphrasing. ;)

stella*
04-23-2006, 09:14 PM
you could also file a complaint with the local Better Business Bureau and let the LBS know you are doing this.

Even if they do not change their behavior, a record is being started OR you may find out they have done this before.

Sorry to hear about the pedal swap!

KnottedYet
04-24-2006, 08:48 PM
Boy, that sure sounds like Gregg's.......

(that's why, after 20 years, I no longer go to Gregg's. Recycled Cycles is my new favorite! Andy is my favorite shop-guy there. www.recycledcycles.com )