PDA

View Full Version : Food Combining

ladyjai
04-06-2006, 11:41 AM
My parent's put us on this diet growing up. In my quest for better health, I stumbled upon it again. It is a diet that looks to create a massive caloric deficit(bad!), and I can't imagine being able to get sufficient anything from following it(also bad!). It also is not vegetarian friendly, as gaining a complete protein amino acid grouping would be difficult without eating meat. I'm not a vegatarian, but the ovo-lacto diet seems to be one which offers great health benefits, and is the one I gravitate towards. Also, under FC, one eats only 3 times a day to allow complete digestion, which ain't happening here.

However, I am having difficulty finding refutations or whatever concerning the claims that the body cannot digest proteins and starches together based upon the fact that the enzymes required in each one are opposite, one acidic and one alkaline. I know that different enzymes are required, but to say our bodies can't mix them at all??
Looking at the "symptoms" they state from miscombining foods, I experience few/none. So it seems hokey, but I'd like to know where and why their info is coming from. If it is totally made up, or if there is some validity, and perhaps there are some foods which are bad together, but likely not as extensive a list as they provide. Or perhaps it is person specific.

So, anyone got the science?

alpinerabbit
04-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Ever thought it might have to do with just eating more vegetables - you fill your plate with only 1 third calorie-heavy stuff (meat OR carbs, never the two together) instead of 2 thirds when eating everything together.

Also not eating carbs at a meal makes you get less hungry because your sugar level does not drop so much?

rocknrollgirl
04-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Hi,
I got some science.
You are a mammal. Like it or not. Do you think that early man or woman stopped to think about whether they were combining foods? They ate whatever was available.
Your system is enzymatically designed to handle all of the major macromolecules. Yes, each one of the sections of the human digestive system is set up for a different pH. Basic in the mouth, where the first carbohydrates are converted from long chains to medium sized chains, acidic in the stomach, where long chain protiens are also cut down to medium size and fats in the small intestine where the pH is correct and bile is present.

They all end up in the small intestine where the pH is correct for all three and the enzymes for all three are present.

So the idea of a food combining diet is just that, another diet.

Healthy foods, healthy portions and cookie now and then.....

I hope that helps.....(sorry for the soap box)
From the Bio Teacher...
Ruth

ladyjai
04-06-2006, 05:36 PM
thank you ruth! Soapbox? was there a soapbox there? :)

What you said about early peeps makes sense in my mind, but I don't have the background. and when they throw pretty chemical names and words out there.... :rolleyes: Honestly, I would have thought there would be some refutation online, but i just found pro-sites. albeit, i only was looking in my lunch hour.:rolleyes:

rocknrollgirl
04-07-2006, 01:21 AM
I am glad I did not sound soapy....I have diet issues. I get really frustrated watching my friends at work going from one diet to the next, none of them good, and yes that includes high protein diets too.

I have to bite my tongue all the time and just watch them go on down the path, only to regain the weight after the diet does not work.

Frankly my tongue is getting sore!

I think they do not ask me for the science because they really do not want to know the answer, and I will sure tell 'em.

I am glad that I helped......

Ruth

Geonz
04-07-2006, 10:21 AM
Me too, me too! It doesn't look like a soapbox 'cause it's so big and there are enough of us on it already...

Wordspinners can take the scientific words and mix 'em around and unfortunately it's been spreading to some of the folks who once could be counted on to actually make sense (because if they want more funding, they need to get the results and say what their funders want them to say)

MomOnBike
04-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Actually, the only "diet" that has worked for me is of my own devising. I cut WAY back on the 4S's - Sugar, Salt, Shortining (butter too) and Seconds.

Works like a charm.

Of course, avoiding being Sedentary helps, too...

Now, if I could but follow my own advice :rolleyes: