PDA

View Full Version : What to expect from a club?

Irulan
07-29-2003, 07:32 AM
just want to hear all your thoughts on what you get, don't get, would like to get out of your clubs... mine is re-grouping.

Irulan

Irulan
07-30-2003, 11:02 AM
oh, c'mon you gals... nothing to say about your club?

Do you love it? Do you hate it? Too many rules? Not enough rules?
Too serious, not serious enough? People are friendly, people are cliquey? Disorganized? Fun? You joined a club because.....
Not in a club because...

Irulan

MightyMitre
07-30-2003, 11:16 AM
Cycling clubs in England are all so unique it's hard to say what they've got in common - apart from cycling that is :p

Some clubs round here are made up of a lot of older riders, in their 50's & 60's who do a lot of touring , while others have few older members and lots of youngsters who are very competetive.

Some clubs are also very sociable - one in our area regularly organise non -cycling events such are picnics, bbq's and things like bowling evenings. Where as others might only meet up once a month and rarely meet outside of racing.

Our club, Brighton Mitre Cyling Club was formed in 1894 and I like to think has a good mix. We're lucky enough to meet at a cycle track and the club house has a bar so it makes for quite a social evening. You can have a quick zip round the track , before having a beer!

We meet every Friday throughout the year, as well as organised club rides on Sunday mornings in the winter. This really helps with the motivation when the weather's cold ,knowing there's a group of people waiting for you helps get you out of bed, as well as get you up those hills when you're struggling!

The best thing about our club is we've made some really good friends and had some excellent weekends away - a camping trip in France for the weekend to watch the Tour last year was such a laugh!

We also have people from such a wide range of backgrounds. We've got members who range from builders, computer programmers, students, a fireman, a lawyer, a guy involved in oil exploration and even a guy who ownes his own steel fabrication factory. It's cool to share a common interst with such a range of people.

I think the best thing is just the friendship and fun. In England cycling is still a minor sport to it's great to just meet up with people who share a common interst with, have a laugh and get fit!

Well, that The Mitre - I'd like to hear about other peoples clubs.

Good luck with the reforming of your club - sounds like a good chance to make it what you'd like it to be. :)

tinkerbell
07-30-2003, 11:32 AM
The club I belong to-- the Birchwood Bike Team-- has a wonderful mix of opportunities for all levels of riders. They offer a bike team that races weekly as well as a mix of "social" rides for others who aren't interested in racing. In addition to offering all levels of riding, they also offer a women's only ride once a week which I do every week and love (it's grown from a core group of about 6 ladies last year to about 16 this year!!). It's great to get together with a bunch of ladies that all enjoy the love of cycling! Before or after social rides we usually throw in a little socializing as well--breakfast or dinner-and as the Birchwood (where we ride out of) is a local restaurant it's very convenient. Other things that I love about my club...the deals we get through our sponsors!!!!! It made buying my first bike affordable! And getting deals on all types of accessories--from sunglasses, to helmets, to tires and tubes--really helps keep things manageable for a girl on a budget...the community atmosphere!! We have small get togethers from time to time and it's also fun to see other pink shirts out on the road...the clinics they offer-- I've been riding for about a year now and I love to learn how to do things on/with my bike. This years clinics have included everything from basic bike maintenence to bike handling skills (group riding skills, how to ride in a paceline, cornering, etc). The clinics make it easy for a newbie to learn how to ride safely and effeciently...support-- a year ago I was riding for the first time since I was 12 and this weekend I do my first race (a road race). I never would've imagined even giving a go if it wasn't for the support of my teammates! The girls especially are very encouraging. I don't know how I'll do come Saturday, but I do know that with the encouragement and support of my team I'll be feeling good about my accomplishments whether I come in first or fail to finish...good luck with your club Irulan!!

Irulan
07-31-2003, 07:25 AM
The reason I asked, is I have a love/hate relationship with my club, and I'm trying to get a sense of whether my expectations are unreasonable or out of line.

My club is fairly new, and has grown from 17 members to almost 100 in the past year, and costs a whopping $10 a year. The growth has created the need for re-assessment.

the plusses... it's inexpensive, and I've met a few nice gals, so I have nothing to lose in that regard. the hill training road clinics ( I show up with my mtb ) are fun.

I believe the mission statement is something like "helping women to connect for cycling" But as far as I know, we have no charter or bylaws.

My issues, go ahead and smack me if I'm out of line...

*people ( a person) bring dogs on club mtb rides... boy do I have a big problem with this... I don't go on any of them unless I've planned them it bugs me so much. When I approached a board member about it I felt really blown off.

*maybe it's just me, but I feel our meetings (socials) are very cliquey. I'm not terribly shy, But I do try and talk to people.

* I think it's kind of strange that I am the only one who ever sends out mtb ride notices. I've been sending out rides for over a year now, and it's only in the last 6 weeks that gals have been showing up... I end up feeling like I must have TP on my shoes or something... I've even posted Saturday morning beginner rides with zero attendance.

OK, so it's only $10 a year, I really have nothing to lose but I would like more.

last but not least.... I did get a questionairre, and I would really like feedback on my reply before I send it back. I am trying for beling clear, yet objective, or giving my opinion in a somewhat tactful manner.... you all know that I tend towards blunt.

so, here's a paste of that, please give me feedback...(note, one of the board member's hubby is the one with the dog...)

Lastly, we on the executive committee would like to reassess the organization: to identify expectations of the members and find out how members have been, and are currently, participating with the organization.
Please answer the following questions:

Please keep in mind that the following comments are just my opinion. I seriously considered joining the board but decided not to at this time, as I didn't have the energy to devote. I understand that it is not possible for a club with lots of members to meet and fill all the wishes, desires and needs of a single person. Thank you very much for asking for input.

1) What are your expectations for the organization? Is the
organization meeting your expectations? If not, what could the
organization do to better serve you?

expectation: I'd like to meet and ride with other women. In that respect, the group seems to be working OK as I have a few new riding partners that I wouldn't have had before. As for serving me better?? Maybe see other comments.

I am concerned about liability issues and club image. One thing that really bugged me was going on a club outing and having a rider bring a dog. Failure to abide by the park rules (leashes required) on a club outing is bad for the club's image, and I personally am uncomfortable being a representative of the club in this situation. I feel that as a club, we should set an example for other riders/club

I would like to see a club charter and some by laws that would include a general liability waiver (similar to the mountaineers) and rules for club rides.

2) What kind of riding are you doing? Are you telling other members about your rides? Do you want to? Are others telling you about their rides? What kind of details would you like to know about if someone tells you about a ride?

I ride a mountain bike exclusively. In the beginning I sent out notices foralmost every single ride I ever went on that wasn't spontaneous, but I quit ending them out when I consistently got no responses. Lately, I've sent ut notices for a few rides ( Liberty Lake, Riverside and some others) and have gotten some response so I will most likely send out notices again. I
get all the emails that go out and that is just fine. The kinds of details I have seen in emails have been fine.

3) There were initially three standard rides set up by WOW: 8:30am Sunday; 5:45pm Wednesday; 4:00pm mountain bike Friday. Has anyone been attending these rides? If so, how many others have been participating? Would other dates/times work better for you?

I joined the friday night ride once... I was not comfortable riding with a dog along so I haven't gone back. I joined the hill climb training ride just the other time when I was in
town, that was terrific.

Days and times are so subjective, I don't know that anything would be better. I would prefer the socials to be held at a later time, 6 pm is not easy for me.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. We look forward to seeing you/meeting you all soon.

thank you for asking for input.

assassin__x
07-31-2003, 09:45 AM
I have spent time witha few clubs during the last few years but have never been able to be heavily involved with them.

SingleTrack Mudpack: a ladies mtb group. They were great, but due to lack of volenteers it disbanded after I got to participate one season with them. Ususally it was only a small group of women that would show, somewhere between 2 and 6, but I always enjoyed myself. This group was great because I was just starting out that year and it got me out riding a lot and I got to meet people. Price was $20 a year, and we got a little gift basket when joining (with a new tube and a pair of De-Feet socks).

Dal Mtb Club: Club from my university, no membership costs, fell apart because no one would show up for meetings and such (it's a school club, so it have to have elections, and to elect someone a certain percentage of the members had to vote, no one showed up). Didn't really matter in the end, the only people who showed to the rides were in engineering with me, we still go out as a group regarless if it's under the name of a club or not.

SunFlower Squad: I'm not accually part of this club but I ride on the unofficial rides. It's a women's group and again I started riding with them because I am in a new place and wanted to meet people to ride with. People I've met seem really cool, some very strong women there. Price is something like $50 a year, if I was going to be here for more than a few months I would have joined. Does lots of training rides and workshops. Seems like a very good group, very well organized and the members get a lot out of it.

Irulan: the dog thing with you club really bothers me, even more so because the board members seem to ignore that this may be be a problem. It's also too bad that your club has that weird cliq thing. I road once with a touring group that seemed like this, I just couldn't get confortable with them. The women's groups I've ridden with have been the most inviting I've found, which would be why I seek them out or a least other women riders when I move to a new area.

Veronica
07-31-2003, 02:56 PM
I totally agree with you about the dog ( and I have a dog - she's my avatar.) As good citzens we need to follow the rules for whatever places we ride in.

We joined the local club just recently so I could have more riding buddies during the week. I'd have to say it is maybe a little cliqueish but only because I'm the new kid. Overall people have been very friendly and welcoming. We're getting a lot of brand new women riders and there's a lot of support for them on the club rides - which I think is really cool.

Veronica

Irulan
08-01-2003, 06:13 AM
...for the feedback. Especially on the dog thing!
I was really trying to seperate out "real issues" like an unleased dog on club rides, with personal issues like if I think the club is cliquey.

Anyway, I mailed my thing back to the club....

Off for another explore with camping gear and bikes in the wilds of Idaho...

Irulan

MightyMitre
08-01-2003, 03:08 PM
Have a good trip in Idaho.

As far as the clique thing goes, a tactic I often use is to get to know people for each clique individually and try not to be put off getting to know somone just because they might belong to another group. By having friends from each 'group' eventually you start to get overlaps as friends get to know other friends etc and people realise they may actaually have a things in common.

pedalfaster
08-01-2003, 05:01 PM
... believe the mission statement is something like "helping women to connect for cycling"

and

(note, one of the board member's hubby is the one with the dog...)

If this is a women's club and women's ride....I guess I have to ask, what the heck was the HUSBAND doing there (let alone the dog)?

I've led all-women rides and clinics and one of my big rules is no boys on "girl rides". No ifs ands or buts. Stray husbands, SOs, and curious stragglers are rounded up and sent on their own ride.
There are plenty of other guy-only events (TDF for example ;) )and co-ed opportunities.

For a co-ed ride you might actually suggest a "theme" ride to happen once a month (or a few times a year) like "Ride with your Pooch" where riders are encouraged to bring their trail-worthy dogs to a leash-fee area and ride (a women's running club I belong to does this once a week). Everyone knows what to expect and only dog-lovers attend.