PDA

View Full Version : Century Goal for 2006

amcgltdchix
04-05-2006, 02:02 PM
I am waiting for Team In Training for Leukemia and Lymphoma to get back to me on racing a century this fall!

Has anyone ever raced for them before?

What was your experience?

maillotpois
04-05-2006, 03:33 PM
I'm a coach for Team in Training. I'm interested to hear you use the term "race", because most of the TNT century events aren't races, but endurance events. The one exception may be the El Tour de Tucson, which actually is a race, but 99.9% of TNT'ers and others who ride it ride it for fun, not as a race. Is this the event you are planning to do? It's a great event - I can give you more details about it if you like.

Team in Training will give you a training program, coaching and a supportive environment, which is great for someone attempting their first century or for someone who wants to do a century for a good cause. The coaching quality does vary, as the coaches are mostly volunteers. However, they often have professional coaches on staff.

Where are you located? (It may say by your avatar, but now that I am in "reply" mode, I can't tell.) What event is it you are thinking of doing?

amcgltdchix
04-05-2006, 04:44 PM
I'm a coach for Team in Training. I'm interested to hear you use the term "race", because most of the TNT century events aren't races, but endurance events. The one exception may be the El Tour de Tucson, which actually is a race, but 99.9% of TNT'ers and others who ride it ride it for fun, not as a race. Is this the event you are planning to do? It's a great event - I can give you more details about it if you like.

Team in Training will give you a training program, coaching and a supportive environment, which is great for someone attempting their first century or for someone who wants to do a century for a good cause. The coaching quality does vary, as the coaches are mostly volunteers. However, they often have professional coaches on staff.

Where are you located? (It may say by your avatar, but now that I am in "reply" mode, I can't tell.) What event is it you are thinking of doing?

Thanks for the reply! I meant not to say 'race'. My goal is just to complete it and have fun! I am leaning twoards the SeaGull in MD this October :) I am in Northern VA. There is a Reston Century in September, but I tend to go to VA beach for a week that time with the family :)

The veterinarian I work for is a marathon runner learning how to do a triathalon and he is totally psyched his right hand person is cycling for a cause :)

maillotpois
04-05-2006, 05:03 PM
That's great! Well, I am from CA, so I don't know anything about those TNT chapters or the events. But from what I have seen of other TNT folks who come to CA and Tucson for the national events, all of the groups are super supportive and encouraging. It really is a great environment to undertake a new challenge. I did 3 marathons with TNT in 1999, and then my husband and I decided to do a century with them. We have stayed involved continuously since then and became coaches.

I would encourage you to go to the events at which any of the honored leukemia patients are present - they usually have socials and all. Some of these folks have amazing stories.

I've had the honor of coaching 3 different leukemia patients for century rides - it is amazing watching these folks train for and complete a century, especially knowing all they have been through. It sure puts your own training and pain into perspective!

It sounds like you are relatively new to cycling, so finding a really supportive group of people to ride with and learn from is a huge advantage! I feel like I learn something different from almost every person I ride with - especially when I was just starting out.

Good luck and keep me posted on your training!

gromit68
04-07-2006, 03:23 PM
I signed up to do the Fletcher Flyer in June through TNT. I raised about $900 in about two months time. Then I realized that I suck riding hills and the route is all hills. I wanted to switch to the Tucson ride and have my funds transfer over and they won't let me. Now I know this is a great cause and I'm glad I raised the money but I don't think I should have to start all over. THe Fletcher minimum was 1700 and Tucson 4200. :( Other than that it has been a good group of people and a good cause. I may try next year with them but this year will be the MS150 in September.

maillotpois
04-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Sorry your experience was so - so. Unless you get injured, they typically won't let you switch events and transfer your money. I think it would be an administrative nightmare for them and they would lose money. Their primary goal is to keep their fundraising rate to at least 75% (in other words, 75% of everything goes directly to the cause instead of to expenses or overhead). So they have pretty limited flexibility with the whole fundraising thing.

gromit68
04-08-2006, 11:52 AM
It was an asthma problem and that didn't fit their guidelines for injury. The Tucson ride is flat and 6 month away. I still wanted to raise money for them but won't be pursuing it anymore this year. Maybe next. I think if you are fit and can raise the money it is a good thing. Not the best group for beginners.