PDA

View Full Version : Review: Ultra Conditioning 1.0 Leg-Strength Builder

Veronica
04-04-2006, 06:02 AM
Wow! When I finished this workout last night, my thought was, "Doing this once a week is going to make me SO strong!"

First of all this is not a video for someone w/o a good fitness base. It's hard! You also want to make sure you are completely warmed up. I did Zoot Challenge before this video. Coach Troy does do two warm up sets in the video, but I know that would not be enough for me.

The first of the main sets is a two minute "spin" in your big ring on the front, smallest cog on the rear. For me that translates to 48 x 11. CT warns you to not push too hard on this set, because harder things are coming. After the two minutes you get off the bike and do a Slow Squat - 30 seconds to go down all the way, 30 seconds back up. You can do this with dumbbells, or just your body weight. This combo gets repeated two more times.

The second of the main sets uses the same gearing, this time for 90 seconds and he wants you to have a higher cadence. In between the 90 seconds you get off the bike and do as many squats as you can in a minute. This gets repeated three times.

The third set is a sprint set, same gearing. You go all out for ten seconds, with 50 seconds of rest after. Sprint three times, get off the bike and do plyometric jumps. I wasn't wild about doing those, so I did more squats. CT does list some other options. Repeat this combo two more times.

The last set is a 5 minute, sustained pace in that same gearing. You get off the bike and do a burnout set of slow squats, regular squats and the jumps.

I do have bad knees and so was very aware of how my knees felt during this video. They did not hurt at all, so I finished it. I think the extra warm up time really helped in that area. This morning, quads are a little sore, knees still good.

If you want to build strength and power and like Coach Troy, I'd recommend it, with these caveats - pay attention to your knees and warm up well.

V.

DebW
04-04-2006, 06:32 AM
How do you do jumps in cleated road bike shoes? That sound dangerous. Even squatting in cleats sound tricky. Veronic, you must use mtb shoes?

Veronica
04-04-2006, 06:54 AM
He gives you time to change shoes for the jumps. And a lot of the riders in the video were changing shoes for the squats as well. I have a cement floor under my carpet, that's why I did more squats instead of jumps. And yes I do have shoes with recessed cleats.

V.

Selkie
04-04-2006, 01:34 PM
I agree. Very tough!! I can't imagine doing this one after another Spinerval, especially Zoot. V, it's gotta be those Klondikes!!! Anyway, I stay on the bike the whole time and when everyone is doing "dry land" work, I alternate standing/sitting in BR12.

Veronica
04-04-2006, 01:49 PM
It's gotta be the Klondikes. Certainly not the 80,000 feet plus of climbing I've done already this year. All hail the mighty Klondike! :D

V.

ridebikeme
04-25-2006, 09:42 AM
It does indeed give you a good workout!! Living here in Maine, the winters see many of us do a series of Troys tapes... and what a difference come spring!! Keep up the good work!!